Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Awesome - BBC now doubts global warming!

Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2009, 05:46 PM
22BUK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Awesome - BBC now doubts global warming!

BBC NEWS | Science & Environment | What happened to global warming?

If they carry on like this, I'll buy a license...
Old 12 October 2009, 06:15 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Well we had the first frost this morning, had to scrape the bloody car!
Old 12 October 2009, 06:17 PM
greenonedave
Scooby Regular

can we get our taxes back ?
Old 12 October 2009, 06:26 PM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by greenonedave
Doubt it!
Old 12 October 2009, 06:28 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by greenonedave
No, because it's " climate change " and all of this below;

Tibet: "Local herdsmen in summer pastures were totally unprepared for the disaster with no winter clothes, for it was not yet time to move to winter pastures".

The US: "The big chill followed Friday's snow resulting in record low temps set on Saturday in both Missoula and Kalispell".

Finland: "
Southern parts of Finland are expected to have snowfall on Monday morning - a full month ahead of normal".

Is the evidence. Pay up to save the planet fella's.
Old 12 October 2009, 06:44 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

When I was at school it was acid rain that was going to destroy the world, they showed us a video of 2015 where you could not go out without a protective rubber mac,and the rain dissolved sandstone buildings and killed lakes of fish on contact
Old 12 October 2009, 06:57 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds
When I was at school it was acid rain that was going to destroy the world, they showed us a video of 2015 where you could not go out without a protective rubber mac,and the rain dissolved sandstone buildings and killed lakes of fish on contact

think that was a true story set in west hull ,thats what its like

seriously though its all about taxing the poo poo out of us including the oil situation ,enough oil left to last a million years
Old 13 October 2009, 05:43 AM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Not at all. But it is still a paradign shift, the BBC is still pro-AGW, but at least the BBC is now opening up a bit to allow the other side of the story to be told. They are just in CYA mode, in preparation for Copenhagen (All the time the world get's colder).
Old 13 October 2009, 07:00 AM
thesyn
Scooby Regular

Hardly a paradigm shift but a bit of an "about face"
Old 13 October 2009, 07:25 AM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by thesyn
Hardly a paradigm shift but a bit of an "about face"
No, it's not an about face if you read inbetween the lines. The BBC are still fully pro-AGW but now appear to be willing (For once in such a long time) to actually do journalism and allow all sides of a topic to be opened up and debated.
Old 13 October 2009, 10:15 AM
thesyn
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Klaatu
No, it's not an about face if you read inbetween the lines. The BBC are still fully pro-AGW but now appear to be willing (For once in such a long time) to actually do journalism and allow all sides of a topic to be opened up and debated.
I quite agree with you but was thinking paradigm shift in terms of the last major proper one being Newtonian mechanics to Quantom theory around 1920ish, sorry being pedantic, let me know if you can think of anything more recent.
Old 13 October 2009, 10:16 AM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Indeed. Here's some more ... KSTP TV - Minneapolis and St. Paul - Snow Hurts Business That Rely on Autumn Tourism

"... Seeing snow this early is not normal. This is only the third time in the last 60 years that there's been measurable snow twice in the Twin Cities in the first half of October ..."

Dave
I have read other stories too, also here in Aus and NZ, an extended snow season. Record snow closing down ball games in the US.
Old 13 October 2009, 10:51 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

So what can we expect in the next few years?

Both sides have very different forecasts. The Met Office says that warming is set to resume quickly and strongly.

It predicts that from 2010 to 2015 at least half the years will be hotter than the current hottest year on record (1998).
From previous experience, the correct way to predict the weather, is to expect completely the opposite, from whatever the clowns at the met office predict
Old 13 October 2009, 12:01 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

We have had climate change for a while now. It seems to be going back to way it was a good few years ago and we are getting the sort of weather that we used to regard as normal for this country. Rainy days and cool temperatures in the summer etc. as we see.

It was stated that the early global temperature measurements were inaccurate because the balloons which supported the instrumentation were being warmed by the sun's radiation and were transmitting false temperatures to the instruments. Over the last ten years there has been in fact a decrease in the global temperatures. The bandwagon that our rulers leapt upon is being undermined, much more of this sort of reporting and they won't have the excuse for all those taxes-not that they will take much notice of that of course!

There is also a school of thought that our climate is highly dependent on the solar energy which arrives by courtesy of the solar disturbances caused by sunspots as I have mentioned before. We are over halfway towards the peak of the 11 year cycle and there have been very few sunspots for a long time now. Nornally there would be a much bigger concentration. Solar energy was mentioned in that report. Last time when the sun went very inactive like that was when there was a mini ice age! That was when the Thames froze over.

About time that we were told the full truth about changes to the climate etc.

Les
Old 13 October 2009, 03:14 PM
22BUK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie

Les
This is the best site I've found that gives facts for us "non-believers": Global Warming Science and Public Policy - Home
Old 13 October 2009, 03:24 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

or Watts Up With That?
Old 13 October 2009, 03:30 PM
22BUK
Scooby Regular

Not at all. But it is still a paradign shift, the BBC is still pro-AGW, but at least the BBC is now opening up a bit to allow the other side of the story to be told. They are just in CYA mode, in preparation for Copenhagen (All the time the world get's colder).
The Daily Telegraph site (where I found the link to the Beeb) agrees with you - "Possibly some people in the BBC have worked out that the whole shooting match will collapse and they had better be ahead of the game."

Sceptics welcome BBC report on 'global cooling' - Telegraph
Old 14 October 2009, 04:05 AM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 22BUK
The Daily Telegraph site (where I found the link to the Beeb) agrees with you - "Possibly some people in the BBC have worked out that the whole shooting match will collapse and they had better be ahead of the game."

Sceptics welcome BBC report on 'global cooling' - Telegraph
And yet more;

Austria sees earliest snow in history, and America sees lowest temperatures in 50 years: So where did global warming go? | Mail Online
Old 14 October 2009, 04:07 AM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by warrenm2
That is an excellent site with real information, and real scientists too. I fully recommend visiting this site regularly, daily even, to get a fill of the "science" behind the IPCC scam.
Old 14 October 2009, 04:08 AM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Which is why they are so *anxious* to get some sort of agreement that involves lots of taxes for us proles at the Copenhagen summit ....

Dave
You don't know how right you are. Fortunately, December is still a couple of months off...and here in sunny Sydney, it's dull, wet, windy and.......cold.
Old 14 October 2009, 04:10 AM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

We have had climate change for a while now. It seems to be going back to way it was a good few years ago and we are getting the sort of weather that we used to regard as normal for this country. Rainy days and cool temperatures in the summer etc. as we see.

It was stated that the early global temperature measurements were inaccurate because the balloons which supported the instrumentation were being warmed by the sun's radiation and were transmitting false temperatures to the instruments. Over the last ten years there has been in fact a decrease in the global temperatures. The bandwagon that our rulers leapt upon is being undermined, much more of this sort of reporting and they won't have the excuse for all those taxes-not that they will take much notice of that of course!

There is also a school of thought that our climate is highly dependent on the solar energy which arrives by courtesy of the solar disturbances caused by sunspots as I have mentioned before. We are over halfway towards the peak of the 11 year cycle and there have been very few sunspots for a long time now. Nornally there would be a much bigger concentration. Solar energy was mentioned in that report. Last time when the sun went very inactive like that was when there was a mini ice age! That was when the Thames froze over.

Les
In it's 11th day without.

SpaceWeather.com -- News and information about meteor showers, solar flares, auroras, and near-Earth asteroids
Old 14 October 2009, 03:44 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the link Klaatu, interesting.

I check them every day when I am on my HAM radio and it has been a while since we saw some and then only for a short time.

Les
Old 14 October 2009, 04:11 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is certainly something to this climate change lark. It's a damn sight colder now than it was a couple of months ago
Old 15 October 2009, 04:59 AM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the link Klaatu, interesting.

I check them every day when I am on my HAM radio and it has been a while since we saw some and then only for a short time.

Les
There was a period of 54 (I think) straight days without spots, nearly broke a 100 year record. On't it's way up again, 12 and counting.
Old 15 October 2009, 05:01 AM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
There is certainly something to this climate change lark. It's a damn sight colder now than it was a couple of months ago
Yeah shame that Dr K. Briffa used one tree out of 12 (YAD061 - tree ring proxy) which the IPCC used to produce the now infamous AGW hockey stick graph so loved to Gorites and other hippie alarmists.
Old 15 October 2009, 12:19 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

There was a period of 54 (I think) straight days without spots, nearly broke a 100 year record. On't it's way up again, 12 and counting.
None reported today, you must be seeing the other side of the sun then!

Les
Old 15 October 2009, 12:29 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

None reported today, you must be seeing the other side of the sun then!

Les
No. Prior to this 12 day spotless stint, there was a "recognised" spot. Prior to that, it was about 54 spotless days (I am not sure of the actual number, but it was significant, I mean significant)...cool!!!!!

But, apperantly, there is only a 0.01% difference in energy reception between (Recorded, and we've been doing that for some time) solar maximum/minimum, not enough to "cause" climatic "swings". Given that ~98% of *all* energy the Earth receives comes from the Sun, I am not so sure.

Quick Reply: Awesome - BBC now doubts global warming!