Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

who's on a diet at the moment?

Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2009, 12:00 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who's on a diet at the moment?

turns out i had a body mass index of 30, 6.8 on the cholesterol scale and my parents both have blood pressure and heart problems!

3 months on I've lost 25lbs yay me

It can be a bit depressing watching the g/f eat pizza, choccies, etc !

'fess up, who else is on a diet and how are you doing?
Old 12 October 2009, 12:07 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Probably should be but I think I'll wait until after crimbo now.

Well done though
Old 12 October 2009, 12:13 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

yep sea food diet
Old 12 October 2009, 12:16 PM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

I'm 5 foot 8 and was 15 stone. Nightshifts and IT don't do you any good. I would eat maybe 2 big macs at 7pm and then donna and chips at 2am and maybe 4 choc bars, on the way home I would stop at butty van for bacon sos and egg, eat it in bed and then take some rennys and sleep all day!!

I'm now 11 stone 9 run 3 times a week and weight train 3 nights a week. I lost the weight in about 2 months using ECA30+ and no carbs only protein and cut out beer and choc etc.
Old 12 October 2009, 12:16 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was on the keto diet and was 180lbs at 12% bf at one point. It was great, tons of energy and never felt hungry. Only bad bit is the first couple of days where you feel like crap.
Old 12 October 2009, 12:19 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T5OLF
I'm 5 foot 8 and was 15 stone. Nightshifts and IT don't do you any good. I would eat maybe 2 big macs at 7pm and then donna and chips at 2am and maybe 4 choc bars, on the way home I would stop at butty van for bacon sos and egg, eat it in bed and then take some rennys and sleep all day!!

I'm now 11 stone 9 run 3 times a week and weight train 3 nights a week. I lost the weight in about 2 months using ECA30+ and no carbs only protein and cut out beer and choc etc.
Effadrine by any chance?
Old 12 October 2009, 12:19 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

No need to diet here as I exercise. Eat what the hell I want. I don't snack though as I'm not a woman.
Old 12 October 2009, 12:23 PM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigsinky
Effadrine by any chance?
Thats the one, good stack if you can't resist choc like me. I do 2 months on 3 weeks off with protein only diet.

This is my last month, I'm at 20% body fat at mo and want to get down to maybe 10 if poss.

Last edited by T5OLF; 12 October 2009 at 12:24 PM.
Old 12 October 2009, 12:47 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds
I was on the keto diet and was 180lbs at 12% bf at one point. It was great, tons of energy and never felt hungry. Only bad bit is the first couple of days where you feel like crap.

Is this the Atkins diet? Are people still doing that one?

As far as i'm concerned, you can be on the most self-disciplined diet in the world, but unless you change your underlying lifestyle, you'll put back every pound and more once you loosen up your restrictions.

As STiwS said, exercise is the key, it's no big secret. If you don't move, neither does your excess food.
Old 12 October 2009, 01:01 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

exercise is the last step in my plan

we're moving to essex in a few months and will have space for a machine.

I have to stick to eating well and keeping off the salt otherwise i'm going to be fecked at 65
Old 12 October 2009, 01:03 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

pair of trainers and the road... why do you need a machine. I'm going to PM Matteeboy, he'll advise you
Old 12 October 2009, 01:10 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

i used to run 50+ miles a week and do circuit training as well - my knees can't take road running any more
Old 12 October 2009, 01:33 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

ouch! swimming pool may be your best bet?
Old 12 October 2009, 01:38 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TelBoy
Is this the Atkins diet? Are people still doing that one?

As far as i'm concerned, you can be on the most self-disciplined diet in the world, but unless you change your underlying lifestyle, you'll put back every pound and more once you loosen up your restrictions.

As STiwS said, exercise is the key, it's no big secret. If you don't move, neither does your excess food.
Similar, although I was eating close to 3000 calories a day so I may have misconstrued people when I said diet. My bulk last Autumn went a little haywire, so I went on the keto diet and dropped 8% bf in 3 months.
Old 12 October 2009, 02:56 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Good luck with the diet mate. Im on an eat what I feel like eating diet, without the binging though.
Have learnt to maintain my weight well, and have increased my activity levels a lot more now too.

Life is great.

Good luck getting that cholestoral down too. I had hypertension a few years back, worrying times, which aint good when you are already hypertensive lol
Old 12 October 2009, 03:19 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

i've got my BP down from 140/95 to 120/68, which I am really chuffed with
Old 12 October 2009, 03:49 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChefDude
i've got my BP down from 140/95 to 120/68, which I am really chuffed with
In what time frame dude? Thats a good drop, and not a bad old rate now. Whats your resting HR now ?
Old 12 October 2009, 04:12 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

that last reading was completely resting and HR (pulse rate?) was 62. that drop was basically over a month.

bit dull really, but am massively into greens, fruit, fresh fish, some chicken, no red meat. probably down to 1g of salt per day. alpen no added sugar for brekkie. no alcohol.

i was basically eating pizza, sausie sarnies, the occasional kebab, chocolate, cookies, ice cream, steak, burgers, etc. snacking between meals was the worst one
Old 13 October 2009, 09:10 AM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kingofturds
My missus has been doing the slimming world thing for 2 years now and has managed to lose 4.5 stone and keep it off. Although it's classed as a diet it's been more of a change in lifestlye than anything, and subsequently the weight has stayed off and what's more it has had a positive affect on what we are eating as a family (kids n all).

However, she has now hit a bit of a stalemate but needs to lose a further stone before Nov (to reach 10st), so she has switched to the keto (total food replacement) diet and is going strong into her 3rd week. The first week was a psychological battle of resisting food, even though she wasn't hungry, but since going through the wall she is doing really really well. She now never feels hungry and never has any urge to snack (even on things like fruit etc) and overall she is so much more alert and attentive, less tired and has a heightened thought process. She really is like a new person and it's had such a positive effect.

I find it absolutely staggering how food affects the human being - even when we are seemingly eating healthy grub.
Old 13 October 2009, 11:32 AM
Lily The Beige
Scooby Regular

I am a classic yo-yo dieter. I find it easiest to count calories and walk as often as I can, strenuous exercise makes me hungry.

I hate it when you tell someone what you're doing and they start a rant about how bad that is for your body, so the last time I was at the Doctors I asked if it was safe to restrict your calories and how little I should aim for she said there is nothing wrong with 1000 -1200 a day. I assume being obese has a greater risk to your health than crash dieting.
Old 13 October 2009, 11:37 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lily The Beige
I am a classic yo-yo dieter. I find it easiest to count calories and walk as often as I can, strenuous exercise makes me hungry.

I hate it when you tell someone what you're doing and they start a rant about how bad that is for your body, so the last time I was at the Doctors I asked if it was safe to restrict your calories and how little I should aim for she said there is nothing wrong with 1000 -1200 a day. I assume being obese has a greater risk to your health than crash dieting.
How old are you?

Nothing wrong with eating more if you're doing strenuous exercise. Just make sure you're eating the right stuff.

People in this country are so ill educated about food and exercise it's pathetic. PE in schools should cover this. In fact they should dedicate more time to sports in schools but it's being cut back. Priorities are all wrong.
Old 13 October 2009, 11:55 AM
Lily The Beige
Scooby Regular

Old enough to know better. My youngest is 8 years old and I was last comfortable with my size when he was 2. I wasn't skinny then I got down to size 12 which I was happy with but the weight creeps back up, I diet lose a stone, then I forget about it and gain a stone and a half and before you know it I'm back to the weight I was just after my son was born.

It's not all bad though, I do have a fantastic cleavage
Old 13 October 2009, 11:57 AM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

i have a question.

when i eventually start doing exercise it seems pointless weighing myself to stay within a healthy weight bracket.

is it better to get a body fat weighing scale thingy and stick to a 'healthy' body fat range?
Old 13 October 2009, 12:23 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I wish you liuck with all that Chef D, I am trying to lose weight not so much on a specific diet as just eating less. I have managed to lose quite a bit off the waist so far, which is encouraging. I am unable to take any significant amout of excercise unfortunately, so it is a bit more difficult. I am lucky with my cholesterol level being 3.9 but still want to be down to my earlier weight where i felt much more comfortable. Snazy is the star at losing weight if I remember correctly!

Les
Old 13 October 2009, 12:34 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChefDude
i have a question.

when i eventually start doing exercise it seems pointless weighing myself to stay within a healthy weight bracket.

is it better to get a body fat weighing scale thingy and stick to a 'healthy' body fat range?
Living your life based on what the scales say is a terrible trap to fall into. Healthy, fit, and feeling good is what matters the most.
Maintain a decent intake, keep exercise levels up, and in reality, just keep an eye on how your clothes are fitting, you recover after exercise, and how your energy levels are.

We are all very different creatures, there is no defined way to live, healthy weight or exact level of exercise.
Do whats right for you, and dont do anything too set in stone.

As for exercise, what sort of exercise are you planning to do? Cardio, weight?

Jonny, ketosis diets are amazing, well done to the missus for getting on it, and sticking at it. I did 1 weeks on mine, and it was honestly life changing.
Old 13 October 2009, 12:57 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lily The Beige
Old enough to know better. My youngest is 8 years old and I was last comfortable with my size when he was 2. I wasn't skinny then I got down to size 12 which I was happy with but the weight creeps back up, I diet lose a stone, then I forget about it and gain a stone and a half and before you know it I'm back to the weight I was just after my son was born.

It's not all bad though, I do have a fantastic cleavage
If you can exercise then get doing some jogging or swimming. Eat 3 meals a day but make sure they're balanced. Dont count calories too much. Don't weigh yourself. Exercise is key and a diet of chicken, fish, some red meat with veg and things like brown rice. Don't eat sweets, biscuits, chocolate etc and the weight will come off.

I'm guessing you're like most of the women here at work who like to think they're dieting but they're not. If they wrote down what they took in and what little exercise they did they'd realise they're just fooling themselves.
Old 13 October 2009, 01:03 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

another one on the see food diet me,,,,,,

i've put on alot of weight the past year, about 2 stone, but i'm not eating any different, i just havn;t been excerising

me thinks i need to sort that out asap
Old 13 October 2009, 01:07 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

I've never been on a traditional diet (the only one of my friends not to have been to Slimming World, Weight Watchers etc, that kind of thing bores me to tears). I exercise every day and am careful to eat healthy food about 85% of the time and then have a treat a couple of times a week.
No one in my family lives to a ripe old age, they are dropping like flies due to cancer and heart disease so I want to be able to think that I did my best for my own health.
To be honest I can't see the point of stressing what oil and fuel you put in your car and then filling your body full of crap!
Old 13 October 2009, 01:22 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

some really good advice here

Snazy, I'm undecided on exercise equipment, but it will be cardio oriented - I aim to do half an hour each day and stick to that routine ad infinitum. suggestions welcome

Once I get under 12st, I'll rethink my diet - but the emphasis will be on lowering cholesterol and keeping my heart/BP healthy.
Old 13 October 2009, 01:26 PM
Lily The Beige
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru

I'm guessing you're like most of the women here at work who like to think they're dieting but they're not. If they wrote down what they took in and what little exercise they did they'd realise they're just fooling themselves.
That's a good point, I find keeping a food diary helpful. I can see what situations are difficult for me (usually social get togethers with friends, family meals, my Mum makes the best mash in the world and wine)

But it's like that old saying about walking a mile in someones shoe's before judging them. Then you are a mile away,they can't hear you and you have their shoes

Quick Reply: who's on a diet at the moment?