Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Governments response re: the proposed 50mph limit.

Search this Thread

Old 30 September 2009, 03:50 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Governments response re: the proposed 50mph limit.

I'm sure loads of you will be getting this shortly....

You signed a petition asking the Prime Minister to "Not reduce the national
speed limit to 50mph."

The Prime Minister's Office has responded to that petition and you can view
it here:

http://www.number10.gov.uk/Page20803

Read the Government’s response

Thank you for your e-petition.
The Government is not proposing to reduce the national speed limit.
On 21st April the Government published a consultation on the new road safety strategy: A Safer Way: Consultation on Making Britain’s roads the Safest in the World, which closed on 14 July. It sought views on the vision, targets and measures for improving road safety in Great Britain in the period from 2010.
Regarding single carriageway roads where the national speed limit applies, the Government propose to revise our existing guidance to highway authorities, recommending that lower limits are adopted where risks are relatively high and there is evidence that a lower limit would reduce casualties.
The Government believes that this targeted approach is the best way to ensure that speed limits are set at the appropriate level for each road.
The Government will announce the results of the consultation at the end of the year.

Last edited by The Chief; 30 September 2009 at 03:51 PM.
Old 30 September 2009, 04:29 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

In other words they do not have the ***** to come clean and say they want the national speed limit reduced. Instead, they will just financially incentive councils to lower local limits on a "targeted basis".....everywhere
Old 30 September 2009, 06:17 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

We have to lobby the tory councillors and MPs now and again when the tories win the next election to put the brakes on this ludicrous road safety policy
Old 30 September 2009, 07:07 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

In some counties NSLs are all but gone now. There might be the odd road thats NSL but the majority are 50 unless its really rurual or a very wide road. Shame really, but apparently a 100mph head on is ok...

I suggest we go back to the old non restricted limit - the poor drivers will just kill themselves and that will leave the rest of us with nice open safe roads
Old 30 September 2009, 10:24 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Well Warwickshire seem hell-bent on reducing all NSLs to 50mph, and i believe that Oxfordshire have similar ambitions

Oh, for the days wen NSL meant No Speed Limit

mb
Old 30 September 2009, 10:50 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Nowadays watching your speedometer rather than the road is more important if you want to keep a clean licence. totally crazy, but unfortunately there are so many cops out there who will do you for doing 32mph in a 30mph zone. as for the NSL, well where I live it has all but gone, rural roads 40 mph etc, total joke and just for a little more tax! I used to enjoy driving, I absolutely hate it now!
Old 30 September 2009, 11:52 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

What a load of bollocks. Having spent time talking with a bunch of Warwickshire police they told be that the county council have to submit all routes they are proposing to reduce the speed on. The police are a consultative body on this (they cannot veto, but just comment and advise) of around 350 routes submitted to them they opposed all but two. As the routes that were proposed had low accident rates, were considered to be safe and the 60 limit is needed to assist traffic flow, etc etc. So what did the council do? Ignored the police and made all but two 50 or even 40 mph. The officers were not pleased. Amongst those speaking was a senior inspector on the traffic force.
Old 01 October 2009, 08:24 AM
mr_D
Scooby Regular

they have now fitted a bus lane on an A road by me. 70 limit. now on the joining section it is 50mph and they have left the 40mph signs up for ages! not fair, this road is dual laned and now has no hard shoulder because they plan for buses to operate a park and ride. i would love for them to lose money on this!

Last edited by mr_D; 01 October 2009 at 08:32 AM.
Old 01 October 2009, 12:39 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The fact is that this bunch stand for ultimate control of the electorate and all this is just part of that.

I personally would not complain about lower speed limits where it is really necessary, but mindless overall limits just encourage people to break the law and also will encourage bunching and more snarl ups.

Today's heavy traffic means that often higher speeds are not safe in places but it is not necessary to limit speed any more than it is on safe open roads.

Les
Old 01 October 2009, 01:23 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

I tend to drive 5-20mph above whatever the speedlimits say. Been caught once in 10yrs ...

Ignore it / them & get on with your lives. Do you really think that any of us can make a difference here?

TX.
Old 01 October 2009, 07:03 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by r32
What a load of bollocks.
i don't know who or what is "a load of bollocks", but you are right about Warwickshire CC - they are a bunch of car haters

The B5000 was reduced from NSL to 50mph between Polesworth and the Leicestershire border just before Christmas. Strange how an almost identical road can be lethal in Warwickshire and yet totally safe in Leicestershire

However, a few weeks later the NSL was re-instated - by a vigilante

A couple of months and five grand later, WCC put back the 50mph signs, only for them, to be destroyed that same night!

So WCC spend another five grand putting the signs back, despite the fact that the police have refused to enforce the new limits

What is the point of CC "consultation" if they ignore everybody and stubbornly try to implement the red flag act in the 21st century

mb
Old 01 October 2009, 10:25 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

why bother allowing us to coment then ignore us?