Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Zig-Zag Lines in a Close ?

Search this Thread

Old 30 September 2009, 03:26 PM
stanmo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Zig-Zag Lines in a Close ?

Any ideas what the legality is of stopping to drop kids off in a zone with solid yellow and zig zag lines near a school with a road where you have to stop to turn round ?

A local warden has spent the day with some trainees taking photos and printing off tickets at cars before they have stopped. As soon as the driver stops, kids get out and they reverse (without stopping engine, parking, etc), the warden then stands in front of cars whilst trainees (with much laughing) hand over tickets.

The headmaster of the school has been out to talk to them, due to the number of tickets being handed out, but couldn't do anything. Given the demeanour of the wardens (laughter and rudeness), I figure it's a matter of time before someone is assaulted, vehicular or otherwise.

Is there an ancient public highway law that legally, you're not actually allowed to stop anywhere ?
Old 30 September 2009, 03:45 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I live in a close next to a school entrance - and all I would say is: please, please, use the school car park instead if it's physically possible to do so. Whatever you may think of the wardens, chances are they're there because the residents have had no choice but to ask the council to impose parking restrictions, and those restrictions have to be enforced in order to mean something.

Every morning I back out of my driveway to go to work, and more often than not there's an inconsiderate parent either blocking the drive directly or immediately opposite. Each one may only be there for 30 seconds or so, but multiply that by the number of cars and you'll see why it's a major issue for residents - and why the wardens might have to act quickly to issue tickets.

To answer your question: if it's a single yellow then there should be a sign up stating what restrictions apply and when. Outside my house it's very clear, using the road as a drop-off point during school hours is against the law.
Old 30 September 2009, 04:49 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

If the wardens are taking pictures of cars before they have stopped then all you have to do is appeal. There will be no picture of a car committing an offence as they are still moving.
Old 30 September 2009, 05:14 PM
stanmo
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately there is no car park, just a lot of yellow lines in the area; a lot of mums with pre-schoolers have had to give the children to strangers (i.e. other mums on foot) to take them in.

Probably the schools responsibility to provide parking, but not possible as it's over 100 years old and now surrounded by hospital staff flats, and easy no way to convert the playground as it's about 5+ foot above ground next to the road.

More serious would be the attitude that the wardens take - politeness and professionalism would be appropriate; winding up angry testosterone fuelled motorists is playing with fire...

I'll try to video the the laughing yellow perils in action and post it on youtube.
Old 30 September 2009, 05:22 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

it reminds me of the Dom Jolly sketch where he pretends to give a guy who is waiting at the traffic lights a parking ticket
Old 30 September 2009, 05:28 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Your definitely not supposed to stop on the zig-zags and apparently that is a police matter / not in the jurisdiction of traffic wardens.

Therefore drop the kids off on the zig-zags
Old 30 September 2009, 05:44 PM
SteveScooby
Scooby Regular

It's an endorsable offence, so it should be police enforcing it.
Old 30 September 2009, 06:47 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

How can it work, we have 200 staff many of whom drive, and we are reduced to 70 parking spaces, due to council policy.... so where do the staff park ? in the street.
If they add more yellow lines it just pushes the problem further from the front door.

I suggested that "we" all park on the main road and cause chaos, ( no yellow lines, but V. busy ) and a bus route too !

Numpties !

dunx
Old 09 October 2009, 04:15 PM
stanmo
Scooby Regular

I have some more clarification on this issue. Talking to another warden on the same road, who wasn't issuing tickets as if his christmas bonus depended on it, she said it was a civil matter - and therefore up to the council to make up the rules (much like non-police speeding tickets, which can be sent for exceeding limits by 1mph).

In her case, it was a matter of discretion, she was allowing swift 15-20 second drop offs on zig zags, as long as no-one parked.

For those driving or parking in the Colchester area, be very careful if you see warden CH127 around.
Old 10 October 2009, 11:26 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stanmo
I have some more clarification on this issue. Talking to another warden on the same road, who wasn't issuing tickets as if his christmas bonus depended on it, she said it was a civil matter - and therefore up to the council to make up the rules (much like non-police speeding tickets, which can be sent for exceeding limits by 1mph).

In her case, it was a matter of discretion, she was allowing swift 15-20 second drop offs on zig zags, as long as no-one parked.

For those driving or parking in the Colchester area, be very careful if you see warden CH127 around.
Does that stand for "Community Harsehole"?

Les