Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Dodgy Expense Claims

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2009, 10:54 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dodgy Expense Claims

So I claim for some things I never had, I over-claim and generally live the high life but then get caught.

I say I'm very sorry and I pay back the money I took what can I expect?

Well, if you're an MP you get a slap on the wrist but keep your seat in the house and carry on as before living the high.

If you work in the private sector you can expect 4 years inside. source

Should he be let off? Should the MPs be serving time instead of themselves? or should it be one rule for them and one rule for us - as appears to be the case?
Old 28 September 2009, 11:36 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

If they were all inside, who would run the country?
Old 28 September 2009, 12:23 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's wrong in both cases & both sets of individuals should do some bird for theft, however, being realistic, 1 less private sector employee isn't going to damage the country, where as the loss of 2/3rd's of the government would.

Basically, the more power you have the more untouchable you are, simples.
Old 28 September 2009, 12:31 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

It's not really comparable, he made false claims for things. The MPs acted within the rules. The rules were wrong. Admittedly, the MPs took the ****, but it's not quite the same.

Geezer
Old 28 September 2009, 12:35 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

in our place it is classed as theft and as such gross misconduct. put your coat on son, we will sent your P45 to you, end off.

a case of double standards yet again.

Last edited by bigsinky; 28 September 2009 at 12:38 PM.
Old 28 September 2009, 01:04 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigsinky
in our place it is classed as theft and as such gross misconduct. put your coat on son, we will sent your P45 to you, end off.

Only if you breach the rules of your expenses process. As said above, MP's didn't breach the rules but the rules were too lenient.
Old 28 September 2009, 01:20 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
Only if you breach the rules of your expenses process. As said above, MP's didn't breach the rules but the rules were too lenient.
You have to remember though that they made up their own rules for claiming expenses and that they also voted them in. The leniency of those rules is disgraceful and the MP's were claiming the excess money and fiddling their housing etc to maximise those expense claims quite knowingly, in fact they seemed to regard it as their right to claim to the hilt even though those claims could never be justified. All this was supported by the Speaker who was responsible for expense claims.

There is no way that they can justifiably say that they were morally entitled to that money and as such they can be fairly accused of stealing public money!

Les
Old 28 September 2009, 04:51 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigsinky

I'd imagine its the same in most places
Old 28 September 2009, 04:57 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
pure sophistry IMHO. they took the Pi$$ and would have continued to do so had they not been rumbled. thieving cvnts the lot them. no time for them at all.
Old 28 September 2009, 04:59 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by Leslie
You have to remember though that they made up their own rules for claiming expenses and that they also voted them in. The leniency of those rules is disgraceful and the MP's were claiming the excess money and fiddling their housing etc to maximise those expense claims quite knowingly, in fact they seemed to regard it as their right to claim to the hilt even though those claims could never be justified. All this was supported by the Speaker who was responsible for expense claims.

There is no way that they can justifiably say that they were morally entitled to that money and as such they can be fairly accused of stealing public money!

Les
No one is making excuses for MPs Les, but whether they voted in their own rules or not, they were within those rules. This guy was not.

Geezer
Old 28 September 2009, 07:10 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geezer
No one is making excuses for MPs Les, but whether they voted in their own rules or not, they were within those rules. This guy was not.

Geezer
Exactly. I 100% agree that some MPs were unarguably morally in the wrong in the expenses they claimed. Unfortunately, they operated within the rules and the law so there is no recourse for us there. In the story raised by the OP, he flouted the rules of his company and therefore it was both technically and legally theft.
Old 29 September 2009, 10:56 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geezer

Geezer
Yes of course Geezer, but I was talking about moral behaviour as we used to expect from MPs once upon a time and the fact that they made up the rules to suit themselves.

Les