Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

So, whilst your dog is being eaten ?

Search this Thread

Old 26 September 2009, 08:13 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So, whilst your dog is being eaten ?

What do you do ?

Our little farty pup got attacked today in Tatton park by a Wiemaramer, he was on a long lead held by my eldest, I was there picking up from scout camp so too the opportunity to take the dog for a decent walk, he was on a lead as there were quite a few distractions (deer, dogs, people) and he is a freindly little fella so I kept him on to avoid him annoying anyone, was walking down the side of the lake and the lad had him and sees a family with two dogs appear, Dalmation on lead, Weimaraner off lead, sniffs Rambo then sets into him, no warning, flips him over and starts biting, Rambo is squealing, I was a way back so run forward and grab go for the Weimeraner but it moves with Rambo still there, then lets go to get a better grip so he tries to get away and goes again getting a better grip and was biting down on his neck and trying to shake him, he was screaming so I grab the Weimeranar with my right hand and pull it back and it lets go, surprisingly, I put it on its back and growled at the owner " Get it on a lead", he grabs it and tells me to calm down.

He has hold of it and it manages to get away and get him again, at this point i was ready to kill it, but again on grabbing it, it let go, and the owner grabbed it again and kept hold, litterally I was ready to lay into it with my fists having seen my mums dog badly injured by another dog, I felt in my pocket for my keys which have a swiss army knife on the keyring as I was quite ready to slit its throat if it was killing my dog, then I realised I had removed the knife as was travelling yesterday and they dont take kindly to knives on BMI.

The owner decided to put it on a lead, and we had a brief conversation, he was apologetic but still hadnt put the fooking thing on a lead proprely and it went for him again but got my shoe in its face stopping its attack, at this point we walked off, it then went for a passing Jack Russell, apparently he hadnt done it before ??? but twice in ten minutes today, the Dalmation was permanently on a lead as it couldnt be trusted, they seemed like nice people but had two unstable "trophy" type dogs, I dont think ge realised how neat he came to going home with only one dog, I surprised myself how prepared I was to kill it to get it off.

Rambo has a couple of grazes, little bit of blood but otherwise seems fine,

What would you do, would you reach for your keys ready to stick a two inch blade behind an attacking dogs ear, would I have been done arrested, I was so keyed up but amazed how focused I was, I am so glad he didnt get hurt, I would have used my fists first but last time it happened when I was a kid to the Chihuahua it would let go, at that point I would have cut it off.
Old 26 September 2009, 08:18 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just be glad it wasn't one of your kids it went for.

And yes I would not hesitate to have slit it's throat if it was attacking me or mine.
Old 26 September 2009, 08:23 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I feel kind of bad as I was quite rude adn was only a few moments away from killing someone's family pet, had I had my penknife that is, the dog didnt seem bothered with people byt obviously wanted to kill small dogs (not that Rambo is tiny, sort of big Jack Russell size), he doesnt have an agressive bone in his body unless you happen to be a plastic chicken
Old 26 September 2009, 08:27 PM
yoza
BANNED

You asked if you would have been done or arrested for slitting a dogs throat with a swiss army knife in a public park.......erm, yes I think so.

I havent got a dog, so I dont know what I would have done.

But if a dog was to go for me or my family, I would certainly try to kill it, then the owner.
Old 26 September 2009, 08:31 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Lol, the owner wasnt in any danger, but his bloody stupid dog was, wonder what the charge would be, animal cruelty, carrying a knife, er ???
Old 26 September 2009, 08:34 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
I feel kind of bad as I was quite rude adn was only a few moments away from killing someone's family pet, had I had my penknife that is, the dog didnt seem bothered with people byt obviously wanted to kill small dogs (not that Rambo is tiny, sort of big Jack Russell size), he doesnt have an agressive bone in his body unless you happen to be a plastic chicken
i dont think you were rude ,a dog is part of your family like one of your children and you would do anything to protect them just like your dog will you when it has grown up a little,i wouldnt hesitate saving my dog and would of given the owners a ticking of like you did ,if a dog cannot be trusted it must be on a controllable lead or harness
Old 26 September 2009, 08:37 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

To be honest, you'd have done well to slit a dogs throat with a pen knife!

I was once told to try and grab a dogs front paws and then fall on its chest with your knees.

Doubt that would work either!

Steve
Old 26 September 2009, 08:37 PM
yoza
BANNED

Quote....A judge jailed a penknife-wielding man for six months, saying that carrying such a weapon would not be tolerated on the streets of Huyton.

So I would say alot more than 6 months because you killed a dog with it rather than wielding it around.
Old 26 September 2009, 08:55 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve vRS
To be honest, you'd have done well to slit a dogs throat with a pen knife!

I was once told to try and grab a dogs front paws and then fall on its chest with your knees.

Doubt that would work either!

Steve
Never want to have to have to try or even think about it again, I would have thought that a very sharp 2.5 inch blade would have fairly effective, hopefully enough to get it off.

I dont know what the penalty is for harming an animal that is attacking, I would imagine if it was one of the kids you would get away with it, not sure if its the dog but I couldnt have lived with myself if I just let it happen.
Old 26 September 2009, 08:56 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

you would have been in big trouble if you knifed that dog, especially in front of kids, no matter what happened, in court, it would have been 2 dogs fighting, and you knifed the other dog even though there may not have been much if any injury to your dog as most dog scraps are all drama and noise anyway...... luckily you forgot your knife today, and perhaps it would be better not to carry it from now on, as you may look for it as a weapon again.
Old 26 September 2009, 09:18 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

J4cko you write some great posts, both funny and thought provoking. I never had you down as a chap that carried a penknife on your keyring though. I agree wanting to protect your dog (although being a cat owner I think you're a weirdo ) but there is a line, wading in to protect your beastie (or family for that matter) is fine but the minute you pull a blade you up the ante and step over the wrong side of that line where the law is concerned.

I guess you can walk away this time and know that you didn't do anything wrong and that the other guy was in the wrong and out of control of his dog. I think that's an offence - maybe Jon will be along later to let us know?

Hope your beastie heals up and you don't cross paths with that other chap again

Last edited by SJ_Skyline; 26 September 2009 at 09:19 PM.
Old 26 September 2009, 09:20 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gallois
you would have been in big trouble if you knifed that dog, especially in front of kids, no matter what happened, in court, it would have been 2 dogs fighting, and you knifed the other dog even though there may not have been much if any injury to your dog as most dog scraps are all drama and noise anyway...... luckily you forgot your knife today, and perhaps it would be better not to carry it from now on, as you may look for it as a weapon again.
Probably right there with regards my pen knife, it certainly wasnt all noise though, he was in the process of being killed, of that I have no doubt, it was so much bigger and was laying in to him, if we hadnt intervened it would have finished the job, grabbing it seemed to do the trick, I just remember my dad trying to prise my mums Chihuahua out of the jaws of a bigger dog that wouldnt let go, really though he was done for, also my wifes auntie lost a dog she was looking after to it being attacked whilst out walking.

I think sometimes bigger dogs can see smaller ones as prey or potentially just an opportunity to pick on something smaller.

Is Scoobywont around to answer from the Police/Law point of view ?
Old 26 September 2009, 09:26 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
J4cko you write some great posts, both funny and thought provoking. I never had you down as a chap that carried a penknife on your keyring though. I agree wanting to protect your dog (although being a cat owner I think you're a weirdo ) but there is a line, wading in to protect your beastie (or family for that matter) is fine but the minute you pull a blade you up the ante and step over the wrong side of that line where the law is concerned.

I guess you can walk away this time and know that you didn't do anything wrong and that the other guy was in the wrong and out of control of his dog. I think that's an offence - maybe Jon will be along later to let us know?

Hope your beastie heals up and you don't cross paths with that other chap again
Its just on there, its only tiny and for the useful aspect and you are bang on about upping the ante, scared myself a bit even thinking of it but having seen it before I knew what can happen, also, I dont think the other dogs owner would have been that impressed and prepared to watch it happen.
Old 26 September 2009, 09:33 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

I owned a Weimaraner for 9 years, she was a loyal, intelligent, highly obedient dog that loved the company of children. However these dogs are hunting dogs and have an inbuilt chase instinct. Anything small, fast moving and furry is fair game in the dogs eyes. When the dogs chase instinct takes over, you will struggle to regain control of the dog. I found this to my cost when Weimar killed a kitten belonging to my neighbours in my back garden.

In terms of killing the attacking dog, I think the magistrate would take a view on minimal reasonable force needed in the situation. I don't think taking a knife to the dog would have done you any favours.
Old 26 September 2009, 09:35 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Its just on there, its only tiny and for the useful aspect and you are bang on about upping the ante, scared myself a bit even thinking of it but having seen it before I knew what can happen, also, I dont think the other dogs owner would have been that impressed and prepared to watch it happen.
Ok, so it's a tiny blade - fair enough, all I had was a mental picture of the swiss knife I keep in my desk drawer wich is a couple of inches long... I guess mine's bigger than yours?

But no, I'm not banging on about anything - you asked for opinions and I gave mine. whilst I've not experienced dogs attacking each other, my wife has and I can appreciate what a mess and even fatal it can unless both owners take control of the situation.

It sounds like you took control and averted what could have been worse.
Old 26 September 2009, 09:38 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tarmac terror
I owned a Weimaraner for 9 years, she was a loyal, intelligent, highly obedient dog that loved the company of children. However these dogs are hunting dogs and have an inbuilt chase instinct. Anything small, fast moving and furry is fair game in the dogs eyes. When the dogs chase instinct takes over, you will struggle to regain control of the dog. I found this to my cost when Weimar killed a kitten belonging to my neighbours in my back garden.

In terms of killing the attacking dog, I think the magistrate would take a view on minimal reasonable force needed in the situation. I don't think taking a knife to the dog would have done you any favours.
No, you are right, I hadnt exhausted other options and luckily it let go, quite a large, powerful dog so I dont know what my chances would be of getting it off him, they said it hadnt done it before, the it went after the Jack Russell.

Sounds like it meant business if yours managed to kill a kitten, like it hadnt identified him as another dog.

Trust us to get a dog that looks like dinner !

Last edited by J4CKO; 26 September 2009 at 09:39 PM.
Old 26 September 2009, 09:40 PM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

Instead of carrying a knife (or a pen knife which lets face it is going to land you in serious ****e with the boys in blue, wharever the motivation to draw it is.....). Perhaps buy an ultrasonic repel device instead..........at least you won't be looking at a few years stretch........even if it doesn't work its something to throw at the offending dogs head
Old 26 September 2009, 10:01 PM
Suffkunchris
Scooby Newbie

Wiemaramer's are notoriously good at seeing off stuff! Dalmations are nuts so this chap was a **** for having either off a lead in public. It's the owner to blame not the dog, shame you don't have to exchange details so he could pay for the vet's bill. - bet he'd think twice about the lead then. Verbal rudeness is certainly more acceptable than a blade in either head! Hope the little fella recovers quick.
Old 26 September 2009, 10:15 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

As a mature bloke, a walking stick might be a suitable "image conscious" accessory...

As the owner of a powerfully built dog that is as soft as shi'ite, BUT looks capable of eating small children, I have the opposite problem of people assuming he does eat smaller dogs for breakfast.

Briefly, **** dog on head with stick, as it releases in shock, grab the collar from behind, twist to ensure it can't slip off, and restrain.
Learnt from this scoundrels dislike for my Sam, R.I.P.

Sam R.I.P.

Hope your little bruiser is o.k.

dunx

P.S. Are you really ready for the trauma of watching a dog bleed to death infront of you ?

Last edited by dunx; 26 September 2009 at 10:19 PM.
Old 26 September 2009, 11:22 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

He is ok, bit clingy tonight, was just playing GTA 4 and he was sat next to me, nuzzling up to me, which is fine but he is a flatulent creature, even by my standards.

Seems strange to go for two potentially quite challenging breeds, only other issue I have had recently was a Dalmation that went for the Border Collie we rehomed for a while, ok first time round the lake then went for him the second time, wasnt that worried as Bob was a big fella and wasnt going to get shaken to death by a Dog of similar size, its a nightmare this Dog walking thing.
Old 26 September 2009, 11:27 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dunx

P.S. Are you really ready for the trauma of watching a dog bleed to death infront of you ?

No, didnt really give it much thought, was just considering my options, that said I would rather have it go rather than mine, but really all you need to do, like you say is hit it hard enough to put it off without hurting it too badly, which I doubt I could do with my fists, dogs are bloody tough. Cant imagine I could get a Staff/Rottie/Alsation off.

Not quite ready for a walking stick.
Old 27 September 2009, 12:04 AM
Daryl
Scooby Senior

I'm concerned that you seem to have no problem with wanting to kill another dog because it was fighting with yours - you claim that it was about to kill your own dog, but that's highly unlikely.

As for the comments about Dalmatians, there is nothing 'challenging' about them as a breed - when we had a Dalmatian he was attacked on several occasions by other dogs, including a Jack Russell and a Border Collie, but that didn't make me generalise about them as a breed, nor did it make me want to slit their throats!
Old 27 September 2009, 12:16 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Daryl
I'm concerned that you seem to have no problem with wanting to kill another dog because it was fighting with yours - you claim that it was about to kill your own dog, but that's highly unlikely.

As for the comments about Dalmatians, there is nothing 'challenging' about them as a breed - when we had a Dalmatian he was attacked on several occasions by other dogs, including a Jack Russell and a Border Collie, but that didn't make me generalise about them as a breed, nor did it make me want to slit their throats!
It wasnt fighting, it was three or four times the size of ours and he was rolled on his back being bitten, too small to retaliate really so it was a possibility.

It was the Wiemeraner that had him, not the Dalmation, that was by the owners own admission on the lead as it couldnt be trusted with other Dogs, they have a bad reputation as people buy them thinking they are lovely spotty (like the cartoon) dogs when they are actually a high maintenance breed (exercise wise) and can be stubborn, so they get abandoned, they arent an easy breed to train, they require more work than some others, hence my comment about them being challenging, not mental, evil or vicious, ok for those who know what to expect but not for those wanting a dog to impress others who arent prepared to give it the attention it needs.

The knife thing was me watching my dog being attacked and wondering what to do, didnt have it with me and probably wouldnt but the fact I thought about it was what surprised me, do you really think I would have wanted to do that to any animal ?

Last edited by J4CKO; 27 September 2009 at 12:18 AM.
Old 27 September 2009, 12:20 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by yoza
Quote....A judge jailed a penknife-wielding man for six months, saying that carrying such a weapon would not be tolerated on the streets of Huyton.
Yep, much too small, embarassing .
Old 27 September 2009, 12:33 AM
Daryl
Scooby Senior

It was the Wiemeraner that had him, not the Dalmation
I realise that, but you mentioned Dalmatians as being challenging and said that one attacked your Border Collie. I think the truth is that you shouldn't generalise about breeds, temperament is most often a reflection on the owner.

do you really think I would have wanted to do that to any animal ?
That was the impression I got from your original post, but I am happy to accept that you didn't mean it to sound that way.
Old 27 September 2009, 02:31 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

As said by others, Weims are known to have very acute hunting skills and probably saw your dog as prey, so from the dog point of view, it was acting naturally. Having said this, the owner should bloody well know better and should have kept it under control. Wouldn't be at all surprised if they purchased the weim simply because it looked nice, sadly something that happens a lot, and people simply don't realise how much effort and work a weim needs. It's all about the fashion accessory side of things.

My ex g/f and I owned a weim, Maggie, who did not get along with other dogs at all, she was attacked by a choccy lab when a pup and this I believe was the main factor. No other dogs around, she'd be fine, if a dog came over to her, she'd go after it, hence why she was very rarely off leash unless it was known no other dogs would be present. The only dogs she did tolerate were those in her pack, which consisted of her daughter, and her daughters pups.

One hopes the owner has learnt a very valuable lesson and keeps the dog on a leash from now on. I know for sure that if it had been Maggie then you'd not have needed to wade in either my ex or I would have waded in and sorted her out with a heck of a lot of force. I'd rather harm my own dog preventing it from harming someone else's dog than have the other party harm my dog.

Whilst I'll grant that seeing your own dog being attacked is never a nice thing, and the red mist does come down, I would not advise pulling out a penknife to stab/slash the dog.
Old 27 September 2009, 06:37 AM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

I dont have a dog personally ,but I would take a lump of wood .It could act as throwing ,retreiving toy and in a case like what happened to you it would act as a club to Mallet the other dog over the head with !!!(and im sure you would not get arrested for carrying a stick for your dog ).

I would feel exactly as you did Jacko if another dog got hold of one of the family .(i am sure your dog is thought of like that ).
Old 27 September 2009, 09:18 AM
stoneface
Scooby Regular

Not quite ready for a walking stick.
That's a shame because this might come in handy for fending off aggro dogs.

Old 27 September 2009, 09:41 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Daryl

Darly - i just do not thoink it comes across as a man wanting to knife a dog.

The wienerwhatever is bigger and stronger and had attacked Jackos dog, i fully understand how he woukd have felt at the time given the circumstances, it is easy to analyise this now from the comfort of home and maybe read more into it.

Given the circumstances i am pretty sure i and most others would feel the same.

Quick Reply: So, whilst your dog is being eaten ?