Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

N97 v's iPhone 3GS

Search this Thread

Old 25 September 2009, 01:30 PM
Proby521
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default N97 v's iPhone 3GS

Let the battle commence......I have an old N95 8GB at the moment and upgrade time is nearing. I'm tempted to stay with Nokia and try an N97, but are they any good? Any one gone from N95 to N97 and can comment?? Other option is to shun Vodafone and jump ship to O2 and try a 3GS.......

I DO use the phone for lots of photos, rather than carrying another camera. Can the iPhones camera compete with the 5M nokia??
Old 25 September 2009, 01:57 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

iPhone usability and versatility is extreme, buy it!
Old 25 September 2009, 02:45 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Blackberry!!
Old 25 September 2009, 03:15 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Hello mate, i work in an Orange phone store so ill give my advice.

The cameras on Nokias are very good, if i ever recomend a good camera phone its always a nokia. Even higher megapixel cameras from other manufacturers sometimes cannot compete, The optics are much better(Carl Ziess lense). Just to close up all the gaps with other phones on the market, Sony Ericsson cameras are very good but the phones are naff and a lot of them do come back with faults, somebody previously mentioned blackberry but the cameras on these handsets are very gimmicky and to be hoenst, naff, and Samsung and LG camera phones have plastic lenses.

The Iphone is a good phone all round. Obviously i do not need to explain what it does as everybody knows, but the camera is only a 3mega-pixel. the shots may look good on the phone but on a pc or printed, not so great. the shutter may be a bit slow to respond aswell, where as in comparison the nokias are very quick.

The n97 is a nice phone to use and i personally think i would go for that.

Orange chose not to sell the n97 as they claim they found faults with it, but i have always had N-series phones and aslong as you have half a brain cell, and can do a software update from the nokia website then you are laughing.

You may also want to consider a Nokia N86 8mp. very similar to your N95 but with an 8 mega-pixel camera.
Old 25 September 2009, 03:18 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Oh, thought i'd mention..... There are rumors that both Vodafone and Orange will be getting the Iphone around oct-nov, but it will not be the 'S', just the basic 3G model
Old 25 September 2009, 03:21 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

The N97 is just another Nokia... the iphone is a game changer
Old 25 September 2009, 03:59 PM
hughes741
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by subaruturbo_18
Hello mate, i work in an Orange phone store so ill give my advice.

i went in to my local orange store about an upgrade to a samsung hd and he said it will be £293 on a £40 contract. is he taking the p*ss or do orange not want to keep customers
Old 25 September 2009, 05:54 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by TopBanana
The N97 is just another Nokia... the iphone is a game changer
Last time I said that it ran to 10 pages!

The iPhone has a real operating system that developers know and love, this is backed up by a developer and end user infrastructure that no one can compete with. Don't be put off by the camera being a couple of megapixels short of others, or a few other numbers being a bit lower, it's no good having fancy hardware if you don't have the software to back it up.

iPhone is and always has been unrivalled. It'll be many, many years before the others can hope to catch up.
Old 25 September 2009, 06:17 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From a good bit of research i have done lately i'd disagree with you JC. The Iphone is a good product just like the Ipod but its the marketing that makes it unrivalled and not the actual device. I personally think that Ipods are backwards are **** for what they do and the Iphone really is no difference which is why they've had 3models in a short period of time. If it was me and mobile Internet was a big thing for me i'd stick with an N97 as Vodafone offer the highest tinternet speeds out of all the phone providers.
Old 25 September 2009, 06:45 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

N97's are ****, they crash all the time, the touch screen lags and they wipe memory cards, stay well away!

Get an iphone and get the sky apps (sports and news) and a few games, sorted!
Old 25 September 2009, 06:48 PM
Proby521
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the input, Dave the reviews you posted links to are great. I do a lot of mobile browsing (while waiting on site for access to machinery) and must admit when in a 3G area my N95 8gb (Vodafone) is rapid browsing. So Vodafone has a fater internet speed? Every man and his dog now has an iPhone (apart from me!) and I might, just might try an N97. Also will get a much better deal from Vodafone than O2 I suppose if I threaten to leave seems to work every 18 months).

EDIT: posted before seeing last post lol......
Old 25 September 2009, 07:58 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Jamz, people who bought and kept the original iPhone are still happy puppies, Apple haven't forgotten them, they still receive all of the great new software updates. Do N95 owners have the same feature set as N97 owners, I very much doubt it.

Good to hear that there's another Nokia coming out, they're almost up there with HTC for obsolete models.
Old 25 September 2009, 08:05 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I own a nokia n96 and the missus the n97, and they are rather shat really. Yes they are sleek and stylish but the symbian software is awful. Updates do little more than paper over the cracks of a crap os .

And I hate apple fanboys so I'm not biased
Old 25 September 2009, 08:42 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when i was looking for a new phone i wasnt really sure what to go for, i had a go at the iphone in the store, and played with a few others, and tbh i went for the iphone as the touch screen felt the best. it wasnt until i started to looking into the phone more when i got home and playing with it, the i relised that it did soooo much, i have had it a couple of months now and im still finding new stuff out about it, and *** for the apps wow, i have got lots on it, and all free ones so far.

i think it will take a lot of beating for me to change it to something different now.
Old 25 September 2009, 08:55 PM
Anger
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Ive felt like throwing my N97 at a wall a few times now
Old 25 September 2009, 09:29 PM
Playsatan
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My last phone was a n95 8Gb too and come upgrade time I wanted a n97. The 95 had been such a great phoneI thought the 07 must be the same onlt more so. However being a O2 customer I wasn't able to upgrade to one, at least not yet according to their customer service. While I sat it out I read several reviews, pretty much all of them saying it hadn't moved the game on at all and the touch screen wasn't the best either.

I took a punt and went ahead and got the iphone instead.

Negative points, well is camera is crap in anything other than perfect lighting conditions, The speaker isn't a patch either and it's tied down like you wouldn't believe. Yu can't even change the text alert ffs.

Plus points, where to start. The app store obviously caters for all of you gadget desires. The o/s is very user friendly too. Think of it like a pocket pc you can use to call people and you're not far off the mark.
Old 25 September 2009, 09:52 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

There is a samsung omnia pro out next month wwhich has a cracking camera and windows mobile 6.5 which is similar to android systems??? The iphone is a cracking toy! I use an HTC touch pro 2 at the moment and the internet is far superior on that to any iphone, the double tap always bugs the life out of me and never zooms in when you want it too, also call quality on the iphone is just ok!
Old 25 September 2009, 10:17 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

i can get an n97 on orange, free phone 1200mins 3k texts and unlim int for £35. where as iphone you get sod all discount.

think i'm gonna go n97 i think
Old 26 September 2009, 08:32 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Tidgy, you read the above thread and are still thinking of a N97!

And, you get discounts built into the contract price of the iPhone, wifi access at tens of thousands of hotspots would cost you a tenner a month, international calls are cheaper, international texts are inclusive, you get a free iPod touch built in.

And as for the ambiguous claim that HTC is better at the internet, that's far from the truth.
Old 26 September 2009, 09:17 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Still flying the flag for apple then Jack

Unlike Jack, i'm quite happy to tell you as it is with the N97 warts and all..

N97, isnt perfect, and has some hardware, & software glitches,

Camera lens cover scratching is a known problem, which Nokia are aware of, and will fix.

Software the firmware V11 has a few bugs, which can be annoying, that said V12, is due out shortly, and V2 will be along soon.

Touch screen isn't as fluid as the iphone (resistive as opposed to capacitive)

(BTW Jack N95 is at V20, and all the updates are available from nokia as soon as they are released)

On the plus side,

Storage blows the iphone into the back of beyond, with 32GB onboard as

standard, and the ability to add up to 16GB more via memory card.

Keyboard is a bonus if you have small fingers.

Apps wise, Symbian S60 has a huge range of free stuff, as its been around

for most of the Nokia range of phones, so ports and carry over stuff is

allways available + pleny of 3rd party software is being developed.

As for the Iphone coming to Voda and orange, my mate who has been

waiting patiently for months, has been told by voda, that this is now not

going to happen due to the orange/tmob merger, (if anyone can clarify this)

Jack will be along shortly to hard sell the iphone, and fill you in on all its short comings

mart
Old 26 September 2009, 09:25 AM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

Originally Posted by Tidgy
i can get an n97 on orange, free phone 1200mins 3k texts and unlim int for £35. where as iphone you get sod all discount.

think i'm gonna go n97 i think
No you cant orange dont stock it cos its ****!
Old 26 September 2009, 09:43 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Mart, I'll stop promoting the iPhone just as soon as I stop reading how happy people are with it. I suggest you read the thread and do the same.
Old 26 September 2009, 09:58 AM
jods
Scooby Senior

I love my iPhone 3GS with 32gb onboard.
Especially like the following applications - not an exhaustive list btw.

Maps, Sky News, Telegraph, Skype, Yahoo Messenger, Qype Radar, Google Earth, Wi-Fi Finder, WeatherBug, Wimbledon, Scramble, Facebook, Unblock, Live Poker, iPint, Absolute Radio, Football Score Centre, Shazam, iMobsters, TVUPlayer, F1 Racing, Dynolicious, Eurosport, Sky+, pUniverse, geoDefense, Google Latitude.....

I could go on but I'm going to see what other Apps are out there for my entertainment and edification.
Old 26 September 2009, 10:08 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
And as for the ambiguous claim that HTC is better at the internet, that's far from the truth.

Do you have an HTC touch pro2 ??? I bet you haven't but I do have an iphone My HTC is far superior, I even think the blackberry storm is better for the net than the iphone and I also have one of those. Both the storm and the iphone aren't up to much for call quality. The thing the iphone does best is stupid little games you can add to your phone for nothing! once you get past those its no better than anything on the market!

I was actually going to get the N97 but I have heard that many bad reports about them I went with the touch pro 2

Last edited by stevebt; 26 September 2009 at 10:10 AM.
Old 26 September 2009, 10:20 AM
jods
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by stevebt
Both the storm and the iphone aren't up to much for call quality
To be fair, Steve has a point here - I have found myself having to ask people to repeat themselves occasionally and have lost calls altogether at times.

Sadly this usually coincides with calls from the wife asking me to "Do this, Do that etc"

So every cloud has a silver lining eh! It's NOT a problem, it's an opportunity!!
Old 26 September 2009, 10:21 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

"My HTC is far superior, I even think the blackberry storm is better for the net than the iphone"

And with that statement you lost all credibility.

A colleague has a HTC touch pro 2, I often laugh at him.

Edit to add: I would have a HTC touch pro 2 if the iPhone wasn't so good.

Last edited by JackClark; 26 September 2009 at 10:30 AM.
Old 26 September 2009, 10:31 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

I know the little add on make it more fun when your sitting in the pub waiting for your mates but it is still a phone and the phone part IS the most important part

Facebook, skynews, telegraph, live messenger etc etc are all on my phone and I find the paper easier to read on the HTC I also have emulators on my phone for gameboy advance and snes and megadrive games and I have a 16memory card in there for music and videos. Plus you can hide **** in other folders where as the iphone its in plain view for everyone to see I also find watching video's on youtbe on the HTC to be far better as they are clearer as the iphone is more blocky even on such a small screen! Plus I only dropped my iphone from a table and its cracked the screen where this has never happened with any other phone I have owned.
Old 26 September 2009, 10:37 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
Mart, I'll stop promoting the iPhone just as soon as I stop reading how happy people are with it. I suggest you read the thread and do the same.
Google
1,840,000 !! for iphone woes

Google
27,500 for N97 woes

Enjoy your reading Jack

Mart

Quick Reply: N97 v's iPhone 3GS