Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Watches

Search this Thread

Old 12 March 2002, 10:41 PM
melpaul2002
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have found web site www.watchfinder.co.uk that claim to be able to sell me a new Breitling watch list price of £2405 for a price of £ 1875 brand new.

How can they do this ? does anybody know of them or had any dealings with ?

Also have around 30% off list on most Breitlings, I have searched other dealers in Italy ( £ 2150 ) and South Africa at £2000 both undelivered prices.

Would anyone risk spending this kinda £ on a non Breitling dealer.

Your comments please or any other companies that sell very discounted watches .

cheers

paul
Old 12 March 2002, 11:56 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

Go to http://www.breitling.com/, read the pop-up warning that appears, then decide for yourself!!!!

No distributors or authorized BREITLING dealers sell any BREITLING products on the net.

BREITLING products offered on the web are counterfeits, second-hand watches or are of doubtful origin. They are not covered by any warranty. The BREITLING International warranty and an after-sales service in line with BREITLING's quality requirements are offered exclusively to consumers in possession of a watch purchased from an authorized BREITLING dealer. BREITLING S.A. and its distributors decline all responsability for any product carrying the BREITLING name that may have been purchased on the Internet. All brand names, visuals, designs and models are the exclusive property of BREITLING S.A.
mb
Old 13 March 2002, 12:20 AM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Hi
What model are you after.Have looked at that site,its very difficult to say.The thing about Breitling is that there are so many variations of each model its hard to compare.I looked in my Breitling catalogue and none of the models on the site EXACTLY matched those in the catalogue.Some have diff dials,ie mother of pearl,or diff straps ie buckle/deployment so i couldn't do an exact comparison.Some might be older models.

At the moment i'm looking for a Breitling Headwind.I think what i'll do is get one from an authorised dealer but try and bargain them down.If you shop around imo you should get 15% off retail.
If you can find a non-authorised dealer you can trust then it may be a good deal.Diff people have diff opinions.

There's no doubt that there is a big mark up on new watches but my attitude is more scope for bargaining.I went to my local jeweller in Hull last week and he offered me a discount on a headwind without me even asking.

Buying mail order from abroad.....not sure.I know Ashford.com in the US offer good prices.

Anyway good luck.
Paul.
Old 13 March 2002, 09:53 AM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Cool

I got me a Breitling Chrono Avenger last weekend
The BIGGEST watch I have ever seen

It was a Link ECU and setup or a watch

I went for the watch

The Link's next month..
Old 13 March 2002, 10:18 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Methnks they aren't paying/charging VAT. They are based in Maidstone, can you or a friend visit?
C
Old 13 March 2002, 10:30 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Talking

Boomer,

Rolex website says the same thing. Just like there are grey market cars, there are grey market watches. The warning is pants

Brand new, legitimate watches can be purchased from non franchised dealers, in many cases cheaper than franchised dealers. But watch for fakes.

Francised dealer mark ups are huge. Many "grey" dealers will buy brand new watches from various legitimate sources and be able to sell at some form of discount.

Having said that, asking around at authorised dealers should get you between 5 and 10% discount anyway.

D

[Edited by Diablo - 3/13/2002 10:49:30 AM]
Old 13 March 2002, 10:38 AM
Luke
BANNED

The Warning is there to protect their dealer network. But a load of people have been sold fakes by companies on the internet.

Trending Topics

Old 13 March 2002, 11:06 AM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Something else to think about,some dealers can have new watches in stock for quite a long time.I went to one Breitling (authorised) dealer who had a Chronomat in his window for 8 years.Just couldn't sell it.
Also Goldsmiths in Meadowhall,at christmas,had a Breitling Aviastar.They stopped making it 3 years ago.

On thing i would NOT do is buy one from anywhere that doesn't offer a warranty.ie auction sites like e-bay

Paul.

[Edited by paulr - 3/13/2002 6:12:55 PM]
Old 13 March 2002, 11:19 AM
CaptainBeakie
Scooby Regular

Talking

I got my Omega from a watch fair in Switzerland and paid very little money for it.

Dealers in shops are normally open to a 10% discount without really trying, after that it's really just luck.
Old 13 March 2002, 12:07 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Things to remember about luxury goods are the mark-ups or profit margins on the RRP. Watches have huge margins built into there sale price, so if someone wants too they can sell these watches cheap. How do you think companies like Alexanders can advertise watches for sale with 0% finance week in week out in magazines. Think about the cost of the finance let alone the adverts and they are still making a profit. Its all down to the huge profit margins. If anyone is selling quality watches cheapish, all they are doing is reducing their profit margin to levels most authorised dealers can't or won't go to.

For the determined buyer there should be plenty of scope for a price adjustment if negotiated face to face, and with cash being waved in front of the sales staff's eyes.
Old 13 March 2002, 01:17 PM
The Crushinator
Scooby Regular

Very nice. I end up looking at the 50 quid range in the index catalog. doesn't help i keep breaking them.
Old 13 March 2002, 05:50 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Just had an email from 'watchfinder'.Said they had 'sourced one'

New Headwind...£1360 at authorised dealer
Their price....£1095

Think previous comments are right.....its the huge markup.

Also http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...threadid=56464

[Edited by paulr - 3/13/2002 6:29:38 PM]
Old 13 March 2002, 06:06 PM
Steve Williams
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Mark up is not that huge..... usually:

Cost price (less VAT) + 50% to 100% = Retail price (including VAT).

This "mark up" is VERY different from brand to brand.

(Believe me 'cause I know, I am a watchmaker )
Old 13 March 2002, 07:42 PM
melpaul2002
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies, still not really any the wiser, If i paid by Credit card then would i not be covered against being ripped off or buying a fake ?

I am not too fussed about a warrenty, I guess it would only last 1 year anyway then all repairs etc would be charged extra, I know **** happens but really good quality things dont often go wrong.

I would really like to find someone that has dealt with watchfinder, They do appear good and reply to email requests almost immediatly, bet Breitling wouldnt do that, slightly different I know but ....

If we were only talking a cuople of hundred £ i would not risk it but the savings are so big, + the price quoted by watchfinder was their 1st price, maybe even discount it.

paul
Old 13 March 2002, 08:05 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Go here and ask about watchfinder.Pretend you want to buy a Rolex and ask for advice.There's a lot of very well-informed guys here.

http://www.newturfers.com/forum/
Old 13 March 2002, 11:24 PM
APJ
Scooby Regular

Watches certainly seem cheap - their T&Cs claim the watches are not replicas but they are not authorised dealers so no maufacturers warranty.

Interestingly, their postal address is Maidstone, but their shop to collect from is London.
Old 16 March 2002, 01:02 AM
APJ
Scooby Regular

I mailed them about a watch on Wednesday - no response yet - does not inspire confidence!
Old 16 March 2002, 09:53 PM
zoog
Scooby Regular

The whole site and set-up looks dodgy. Crap web design for selling such a premium product, and very limited and poor stock, generally undesirable models,and possibly of very doubtful provenance.

BTW those gangs of Rolex robbers have to fence the stuff somwhere, though I'm not for one moment saying this site is doing that, but you just can't be too careful when it comes to buying apparently genuine rolexes and their ilk from non-standard sources.
Old 16 March 2002, 10:20 PM
ScoobySnack
Scooby Regular

Totally agree Zoog,

If you buy new, there is always a certificate or reciept with serial number. If you buy second hand (which isn't such a bad thing) make sure you get this proof.

There should also be some kind of service history if it is over 5 years old. I've just had my Rolex serviced and it got a full service certificate to keep.

Hope this helps

J
Old 17 March 2002, 07:47 AM
zoog
Scooby Regular

A better place to buy used watches and possibly get a real bargain is the watch auctions held at Christies in London. Fantastic range of makes/models and some really beuatiful period pieces from the 60's and 70's as well as more modern and even older ones.

Being Christies, it tends to be top end but there should be more confidence in the gear, though of course the usual caveat emptor applies. Check certificates and service histories.
I think also that Rolex will have a record of services against serial numbers at the factory.
4 years agoI bought a new Rolex Seadweller, before I spotted the auctions - I might not have gone new had I known about them.

[Edited by zoog - 3/17/2002 7:50:26 AM]