Random cold callers

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2009, 12:25 PM
shogo10
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random cold callers

Hi
This is a subject that really has been pissing me off recently, cold calls i have received asking me random questions about my home and financial status.
I got one moments ago from a woman representing X company asking if i had access problems around my home. I said to her that her comment was a bit generalised and could she be more specific. Now here is the best bit she said "Certainly sir do you have problems getting in and out of the bath"?

LOL

I said "No i am 35 in perfect health and have no need of assistance"

At that she just hung up now i would love to know how they A Got my number and B how they thought i was old and decrepid?

GRRRRRRRRR
Old 15 September 2009, 12:47 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Register here: TPS Registration

(it doesn't stop callers who get your details from competitions that you enter where you have checked (or not unchecked) the passing details on box)

Steve
Old 15 September 2009, 05:37 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by shogo10
Hi
i would love to know how they A Got my number and B how they thought i was old and decrepid?
Maybe because you can't spell decrepit?

The TPS doesn't seem to stop hundreds of cold calling people trying to get me to buy shares
Old 15 September 2009, 05:54 PM
Phantom_Flan_Flinger
Scooby Regular

TPS didn't help us either, I think once your number's out there, it too late.

We were getting 4/5 calls a day at our worst.

In the end we changed number.

Dave.
Old 15 September 2009, 06:34 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Register with the TPS, and at the start of every cold call you get make sure you get their details first. Then report them to the TPS. We have very rapidly reduced the number of calls we get to about 1 per month now.
Old 15 September 2009, 06:53 PM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

I got sick and tired of unwanted marketing calls. The final straw was when some **** of a kitchen salesman for "SPACE INTERIORS" London suggested the reason I wasn't interested in his kitchen units was because I couldn't afford them............I registered with TPS and seriously I haven't had one marketing phone call since....total effin BLISS!!!

This really does work in my experience!!!!
Old 15 September 2009, 07:24 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Fabioso
I got sick and tired of unwanted marketing calls. The final straw was when some **** of a kitchen salesman for "SPACE INTERIORS" London suggested the reason I wasn't interested in his kitchen units was because I couldn't afford them............I registered with TPS and seriously I haven't had one marketing phone call since....total effin BLISS!!!

This really does work in my experience!!!!
Yes it works perfectly for UK companies who subscribe, it's the forrins and other jerkwads who don't comply and still get through.
Old 15 September 2009, 07:29 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Try this

just listen to the telemarketer file

Siren Awards

Mart
Old 15 September 2009, 07:45 PM
cookie sti
Scooby Regular

Have you ever tried reversing the situation and tried to sell them something? funny but quite a few times they have hung up on me when i turned it round and tried to sell them things
Old 15 September 2009, 10:03 PM
PAS
Scooby Regular

We had a good one recently, a number rang my mobile, I missed the call, 2 hours later the same number called hubby's mobile and she asked if we paid bank charges. My reply was, what the hell are you asking me that for? She hung up and never rang back
Old 16 September 2009, 08:50 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just hang up, or put the phone down and let them talk away............... until they realise you're not there.
Old 16 September 2009, 09:15 AM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Cold callers are such a bane, thank god for tps we hardly get any now, i do like messing them about on occasions though.

We could all use a bit of tom mabe.

YouTube - Tom Mabe funny phone call
Old 16 September 2009, 10:53 AM
windyboy
Scooby Regular

Location: Working in Belfast and living in Bangor, N'orn I'ron

try asking them questions to confirm their personal details, i.e. how do I know you are who you say you are type questions.

Shortly after I moved into a new apartment a few years ago (with a new phone number) started getting calls from people trying the sell me new windows and even a conservatory !! I told them that I lived in a brand new apartment with brand new windows and that I couldn't fit a conservatory onto my first floor apprtment as the landlord probably wouldn't be too happy about it lol

windyboy
Old 16 September 2009, 11:08 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

My number is close to a taxi firm number and I always get a few come through. Great chance for a wind-up. Last week some snooty female asked what we charged for Gatwick. I replied that we charged as much as we could get away with but it did depend on where she was flying to!! Took her a couple of moments to realise that she had misdialed!

dl
Old 16 September 2009, 11:45 AM
mykp
Scooby Regular

Think i've said this before but get an 0871 number and forward the call to your normal house phone. Thats what I have, only friends and family have the house phone number and I give everyone else the 0871 number, even the bank - who argued the toss, saying its not a real phone number - when I asked for the branch number they gave me an 0871 number which I replied its not a real number. They took it as a phone number.

All competitions 0871 number.

Since i did this about 5 years ago, I have had less cold callers, the bank, insurance, etc. dont phone up trying to sell me extra stuff and if they do I make money from them. Last year my rebate was £49

You can get them setup for free and most have some kind of web interface which allows you to see the calls you've had. Plus if people do phone up then its in your interest to keep them talking as long as possible. Any automated lines I leave off the hook until they hang up!
Old 16 September 2009, 12:17 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mykp
Think i've said this before but get an 0871 number and forward the call to your normal house phone. Thats what I have, only friends and family have the house phone number and I give everyone else the 0871 number, even the bank - who argued the toss, saying its not a real phone number - when I asked for the branch number they gave me an 0871 number which I replied its not a real number. They took it as a phone number.

All competitions 0871 number.

Since i did this about 5 years ago, I have had less cold callers, the bank, insurance, etc. dont phone up trying to sell me extra stuff and if they do I make money from them. Last year my rebate was £49

You can get them setup for free and most have some kind of web interface which allows you to see the calls you've had. Plus if people do phone up then its in your interest to keep them talking as long as possible. Any automated lines I leave off the hook until they hang up!
Genius
Old 16 September 2009, 12:34 PM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

How do I set up one of these 0871 numbers ?
Old 16 September 2009, 01:37 PM
[-(o)-]
Scooby Regular

mykp - love it!

TPS has worked for us too, but that was on a new number.

I work at the other end of it (B2B so don't slate me ), our telesales team have only ever had 2 "I'm on TPS/CTPS" responses and 0 complaints. Its no wonder so many organisations seem to ignore it. If you're registered and you're getting repeat calls report it.
Old 16 September 2009, 02:41 PM
TingTongPJ
Scooby Regular

i quite enjoy the calls.

always makes my evening, just love winding them up !

if i really want to stop them in their tracks i simply tell them i'm somebody different when they ask for me,
usually they say oh can i speak to him at which point i say no he died two days ago and then start going on about how upsetting it is for people to call, how much we all miss him and we don't know how we are going to cope in the future etc etc.

it's great to keep them on for as long as possible after that.

priceless !

perhaps i have a sick sense of humour and should have been an actor (shame i only have a face for radio)
Old 16 September 2009, 03:02 PM
mykp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon K
How do I set up one of these 0871 numbers ?
I use this company, seems they charge £10 setup but there are companys around which charge nothing as they get a share of the 0871 charge.

http://0871.uk2numbers.co.uk/
Old 16 September 2009, 04:59 PM
windyboy
Scooby Regular

Location: Working in Belfast and living in Bangor, N'orn I'ron

a friend of mine used to work in outgoing calls at a call centre, she said that the best thing to do was just to set the phone down and then let them hang on until they hung up. This way they still got their call stats right for their shift and didn't have to work too hard.