Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Tax advice

Search this Thread

Old 11 September 2009, 10:09 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tax advice

I was contracting last year then went permanent again , so last year I had an accountant who charged me £107 a month to do my returns and basically still managed to make a ***** of it, went in to see them and was discussing my tax affairs with what appeared to be a girl straight from school, she was very pretty and helpful but was less knowledgeable about UK tax rules than our Dog, and she had been dead six months, anyway, they did it with my guidance and I eventually got a rebate of 2 grand woooo.

So this year, I dont want to involve them but need to do a personal return and one for the company which I want to wind down, my personal stuff is already well documented being PAYE so not expecting any surprises, no money has gone through my company this year, so what do I need to do to keep HM Tax inspectors happy and then avoid havign to go through this palaver next year ?
Old 11 September 2009, 10:40 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

tbh J4CKO i fill in my Tax Return online and if I have any problems I ring the Tax Office direct, they are always (in my experience) very helpful

they wont tell you how to avoid tax -- obvioulsy, but the will tell you all the allowances you can claim for etc etc

and if you get the info from the horses mouth and make a record of any conversations etc then if you ever are the subject of investigation, your pretty covered

long story -- but a few years ago I received a Tax demand for 8k --- by going to see the tax office and after several phone calls to the taxman over a period of six months i turned it into a rebate of 6k -- and I never once contacted an accountant
Old 11 September 2009, 12:27 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have a word with carol?