Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

how awful is inglorious barstewards?

Search this Thread

Old 09 September 2009, 11:17 PM
delcbr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how awful is inglorious barstewards?

hey after reading cracking reviews in the newspapers and reading comments on here i went with my girlfriend expecting to be blown away..........how disappointed was I!!!! am i the only one who hasnt jumped on the bandwagon or who gave it an honest opinion?

first hour is boring both of us were nearly dosing off to sleep and the conversations are lengthy and boring!!!!also noticed there were no reaction in the audience very quiet almost dead!i reckoned an hour could of been cut out the film and the conversations would of been still too long!!! how irrating is that jew hunter he keeps asking so many questions instead of getting straight to the point havent got the patience for thatinstead of the boring conversations the film could of made better use of the time this had wasted!!!!

the film was liking watching paint dry i actually was going to ask her to walk out with me as i thought is this it it was way overhyped!!!!!

however i did reccomend the film Taken before it was released in cinemas here as i seen a downloaded version with korean subtitles and everyone i knew who saw that though it was awesome! just incase you think hey this guy doesnt know a good film when he sees one.
whats your honest opinion of the boring basterds lol?
Old 09 September 2009, 11:19 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

havent seen it but a mate has and said same thing,he is an ex army/war veteran etc so has patience for these types of films but even he said it was boring/alot of talking what you said etc

i think the critics were scared to say it was crap as it was done by tarrantino
Old 09 September 2009, 11:24 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by The Rig
i think the critics were scared to say it was crap as it was done by tarrantino
Possibly so, they were very quiet about Death Proof and Planet Terror. I like them but I know and understand why people thought they were both ****. I actually liked the oddness of them and the long conversations.
Old 09 September 2009, 11:34 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

As Marvin said in Pulp Fiction, just before he accidentally had his head blown off by Vincent: "Man, I don't even have an opinion".

That's because I haven't seen it yet.
Old 09 September 2009, 11:35 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Actually it's a superb movie. The best film I've had the pleasure to watch for a long, long time.

And zero CGI. What a pleasure to watch a film that is about good screenplay, cinematography etc and not stupid boring computer graphics taking the lead role.

Last edited by unclebuck; 23 December 2009 at 04:29 PM.
Old 10 September 2009, 12:15 AM
fmp
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i havent seen it yet, but want to.

But like alot of films these days, i find that during them, i sometimes feel bored etc of long dialogue without action, but then a day or two later, when i have the story in my head, alot of films seem to make sense and i think they are good.

Death Proof was one. Hour of talking, 10 mins of action, then another hour of talking and 10 mins of action. At the time thought it was a bit ****. A few days later, thought back, awesome!
Old 10 September 2009, 12:51 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I've seen it. The worst thing about the film is Brad Pitt. The european actors are spot on.
Old 10 September 2009, 09:02 AM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

It looks a bit spoffy to me, like planet terror and that's what's putting me off going to the cinema to see it
Old 10 September 2009, 10:11 AM
rabbos
Scooby Regular

tbh I thought Taken was w4nk and basterds was well above average, but then again I went in without any pre conceptions about it being an action film lol
Old 10 September 2009, 11:35 AM
SetoN
Scooby Regular

I thought it was great. During the long and lengthy conversations I was on the edge of my seat as they were tense moments and you knew something unexpected was going to happen.

The whole film was unpredictable, something that you don't really get anymore with films.

8/10 from me.

Go and make your own minds up

SetoN
Old 10 September 2009, 11:41 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Tarantino's films are always a little different. If you only want to watch mainstream formulaic beginning-middle-end-they all live happily ever after stuff stick to the Ron Howards and Tony Scotts of this world.

If, however, you want to open your mind a little and enjoy something a little geeky, off the wall and most definitely non-linear the likes of Tarantino or David Lynch are your friends.

I never could get over people saying Kill Bill was silly as it was so unrealistic. Yes that was kind of the point. A homage to all those crazy kung fu movies from the 70s which were.... unrealistic. It was just fun!
Old 22 December 2009, 11:58 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just watched it, no preconceptions and I thought it was fantastic, kind of Allo Allo with the violence and tension turned up to eleven, the slow bits built real tension, as usual being Tarrantino a bit haphazard but that's the joy of it, flawed genius, well worth a
Watch for grown ups, not for fans of the typical Hollywood fodder.
Old 23 December 2009, 12:12 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by delcbr
first hour is boring both of us were nearly dosing off to sleep and the conversations are lengthy and boring!!!!also noticed there were no reaction in the audience very quiet almost dead!i reckoned an hour could of been cut out the film and the conversations would of been still too long!!! how irrating is that jew hunter he keeps asking so many questions instead of getting straight to the point havent got the patience for thatinstead of the boring conversations the film could of made better use of the time this had wasted!!!!
As I wrote on here a few months ago - I saw IB and thought it was a fabulous film, if a little uneven compared to Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs. The highlight that I picked out about this film was the superb moments of dialogue - in particular the 'jew hunter' as you put it. I thought it was one of the finest screen performances this year.

I love the way Tarantino refuses to be rushed in these scenes, taking his time, letting them unfold. The basement scene was almost (deliberately) unbearable in this aspect. Few directors are that brave.

I suspect Michael Bay or James Cameron might by more your measure.

IB is far from a perfect film, but it is a great film from a recovering brilliant director.
Old 23 December 2009, 12:19 AM
jjones
Scooby Regular

thought IG was well made and enjoyed it, don't rate all of Tarrantinos films but thought this was a much better effort.
Old 23 December 2009, 12:39 AM
specialx
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Trout
in particular the 'jew hunter' as you put it. I thought it was one of the finest screen performances this year.

I love the way Tarantino refuses to be rushed in these scenes, taking his time, letting them unfold.
I agree, I think Christoph Waltz stole the show with one of the best peformances I've seen since Daniel day lewis in There will be blood.
The way he eats his apple strudel is brilliant the large gaps in the dialogue while chomping down on his desert are just fantastic! Superb performance, I really hated him by the end of the film. A good sign for me!

over all I think tarantino is back to his off beat best.
Old 23 December 2009, 12:49 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Other thread Inglourious Basterds
Old 23 December 2009, 01:00 AM
billyray911
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trout
As I wrote on here a few months ago - I saw IB and thought it was a fabulous film, if a little uneven compared to Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs. The highlight that I picked out about this film was the superb moments of dialogue - in particular the 'jew hunter' as you put it. I thought it was one of the finest screen performances this year.

I love the way Tarantino refuses to be rushed in these scenes, taking his time, letting them unfold. The basement scene was almost (deliberately) unbearable in this aspect. Few directors are that brave.

I suspect Michael Bay or James Cameron might by more your measure.

IB is far from a perfect film, but it is a great film from a recovering brilliant director.
I agree.Saw this at the cinema and thought it was fantastic too.Hopefully,as with most Tarantinos films,there will be an extended cut.
Unfortunately,a lot of cinema goers nowadays,dont want to use their brains or get rapidly bored with out of the norm/dot to dot cinema.Thats what i find great about Tarantinos films-its done with passion.Sometimes hit and miss,but the positives make the whole experience worthwhile-All IMHO of course.

Last edited by billyray911; 23 December 2009 at 01:02 AM.
Old 23 December 2009, 01:12 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Tarantino's films are always a little different. If you only want to watch mainstream formulaic beginning-middle-end-they all live happily ever after stuff stick to the Ron Howards and Tony Scotts of this world.
Although Tony Scott did make the brilliant True Romance, a sort of road movie, mafia, black comedy. Penned by none other than QT!
Old 23 December 2009, 01:30 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bubba po
As Marvin said in Pulp Fiction, just before he accidentally had his head blown off by Vincent: "Man, I don't even have an opinion".

That's because I haven't seen it yet.
Unfortunately its no Pulp Fiction, nor Jackie Brown. Every QT film since has been a let down. KB less than Deathproof, but neither could compare.
Old 23 December 2009, 07:29 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Agree with the OP, total crap
Old 23 December 2009, 08:26 AM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

I thought it was brilliant.

As has been said the long conversations built the tension and the ending was completely unexpected!

Steve
Old 23 December 2009, 08:35 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to be a QT fan really to appreciate this film, its not to everyones taste so its a bit hit and miss, I liked it though but defiinately not as good as some of his other films.

Tony
Old 23 December 2009, 08:59 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

I am sure Tarantino would be highly amused to find his movie reviewed with the depth of critical insight encompassed in 'total crap'
Old 23 December 2009, 09:01 AM
Gav
Scooby Regular

I thought it was brilliant Only saw it a few days ago and had heard how bad it was, so maybe my expectations were low. I thought Brad Pitt played a great part and as for Dianne Kruger
Old 23 December 2009, 09:04 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

I thought IG was one of Tarantino's best films to date. He was back on top form with some very good dialogue and tense scenes.

The opening scene and the scene in the bar were cinematic genius.

Brad Pitt? Well, he is never going to be a very accomplished actor, but he was playing it for laughs (let's face it, the whole film was not to be taken seriously) and obviously had a ball.

The SS Colonel stole the show, utterly brilliant.

I think to say that people who say they like it are not being honest is a bit daft, you just have to accept that people have different tastes! I know someone who thinks Star Wars is ****, but as it's one of the most popular film of all time, does that make the majority of us liars?...........

Geezer
Old 23 December 2009, 09:16 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by delcbr

Originally Posted by Geezer

Nothing like diversity of opinion!!! There again Tarantino does at least create a reaction, a polarisation. Something many modern directors would cut their right arm off for!
Old 23 December 2009, 09:45 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Geezer
I thought IG was one of Tarantino's best films to date. He was back on top form with some very good dialogue and tense scenes.

Brad Pitt? Well, he is never going to be a very accomplished actor, but he was playing it for laughs (let's face it, the whole film was not to be taken seriously) and obviously had a ball.

The SS Colonel stole the show, utterly brilliant.

Geezer
You saved me the trouble of writing the above pretty much word for word.

I actually found myself wanting it to be on for longer, it didn't feel like a long film at all.

I thought the use of the music from the town scene/tiger fight from Kellys Heroes when they are in the cinema was superb - made me chuckle out loud.

The Colonel was fantastic - he knew didn't he? - right from the start.

Agreed on the Pitt comment - proper ham job

Good voice cameos from Samuel Jackson and Harvey Kietel.

Topped the list of films I've watched this week.
Old 23 December 2009, 09:51 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

I didn't enjoy it.
Old 23 December 2009, 09:55 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Not a promising title , then saw it was a Tarantino production - im sure i can guess the rest
Old 23 December 2009, 01:13 PM
New_scooby_04

Typical Tarantino film:

A film for cinema buffs by a cinema buff.

The rest of us are left feeling like we've joined a club we're not really "in on"

Some strong dialogue and an amazing performance from the chap who portrayed the SS colonel, though!

Quick Reply: how awful is inglorious barstewards?