Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Job Advice

Search this Thread

Old 09 September 2009, 09:18 PM
wrighty338
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Job Advice

Im really unhappy at work at the moment and kinda need some advice!

I started 3 years ago in 1st technical support for a media company. Recently the IT budget was cut and 12 jobs went under the IT remit. We now only have 8 of us on technical support and because others have gone we now look after their remits too, out off office support etc. We are also taking on more + more work as we are given access to things like Active Directory etc and not getting any formal training or wage for this work. our shifts also went from 9.5 hours to 12 hours, days and nights So now as opposed to nearly 7 of us been un during a day we are sometimes down to as low as 2!

Whats getting up my back is im still on the same money as i was when i started (i do a technical/physical job and get paid the same as an operator upstairs who does 9-5) im the 2nd most experienced member and undoubtly the best worker with the best attitude on our team. Nobody else seems to care as much as i do but im never rewarded for me efforts in this ever thankless task

Is it time to move on? i struggled through school so my highest gcse was a C and my best qualifications a GNVQ so id stuggle to get a job where academics is concerned. Id love to work on subuaru's all day but i arnt a mechanic by any means! I Also love music and would love to promote etc

should i look at doing some mechanical training or is there still no money in mechanics - i worked at a garage when i left college and nobody was happy there!

am i screwed
Old 09 September 2009, 09:27 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Things are tough out there at the minute I'm afraid. I was made redundant 2 weeks ago and expected to walk into another job within a few days. But when there are upto 300 applicants applying for the same job things are tough.
Personally I would hang in there, and look for jobs in your spare time. then if you are lucky jack your job in
Old 09 September 2009, 09:43 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

I agree with KOT things are very hard, although there are signs of improvement.

I thought when I was made redundant in June it wouldnt take long to get back into work, it took me 2 1/2 months {just onto my 3rd week in my new job} so its best to look while your working and often easier to get a job when employed already.
Old 09 September 2009, 09:51 PM
wrighty338
Scooby Regular

yeah wouldnt jack without having a plan B im daft but not stupid lol
Old 10 September 2009, 07:20 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Only other advice I could add on top of the other guys is don't ruin your body doing the job you do. I worked in a warehouse for 4 1/2 years slogging my nads off every night for 8-12 hours, trying to make a good impression, looking to progress in the company. In the end all I got out of it was a dismissal on the grounds of capability as my wrist gave in (you may have seen the threads from the last 18 months in here). Que the hardest last year of my life because I was loyal and wanted to do something within the company over jumping ship like lots of others did.

Just look at possible part time training at college and other jobs in your spare time. Is there anything like apprenticeships/traineeships around your area? I'm at Corus now on absolute peanuts training to be an engineer with a load of lads younger than me BUT I'm happy as larry as it's going somewhere.

Good luck anywho.