Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Any PR or Publicity experts out there

Search this Thread

Old 12 March 2002, 12:52 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

OK hopefully Scoobynet to the rescue again. I work for a 'Large' American firm and have just been given the dubious task of managing the customer satisfaction for the IT function. One of the major issues is our internal PR or 'Customers Perception' which is just that of a normal IT group i.e. Similar to a Water or Electricity company, no-one gives a **** until it goes wrong and it all costs too much anyway now that we're on about it. We have a number of large projects on the go and have had some major successes in the last year but we've also just changed to a central charging mechnism so eveytone with a PC now pays and so they have a n opinion.
I'm looking for some reference points on the do's and don't of courting internal publicity on a large scale(Europe Middle East and Africa(200+sites). Web sites or good books(not the good book) on the ins and outs of this. I think we ned mor than the monthly email and you highly paid PR guys must know something us IT guys don't about human behavior ? Right ?

Thanks
Cammy
Old 12 March 2002, 01:46 PM
devils_ad69
Scooby Regular

Cammy,

Not really sure what you are after, but here goes.

On first reading is sounds like you are after a spin doctor. The customers are not happy so you need to tell them the positives and deal with the negatives.

I've always found that a recipe for disaster. Customers want sound reliable IT system that people know how to support. So that means good design, good documentation, excellent training for support staff, etc.

I've always found that business people want input into the choice of solution. No! Business describes the problem that needs fixing and it is up to the IT departemnt to find the best tool for the job while bearing in mind the overall IT strategy.

Lack of standrds and control can also lead to real problems.

Just my 2p

Old 03 December 2002, 01:56 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

Devils,
If you'd asked me 6 months ago I'd have agreed(I'm an IT Guy). However having been in this particular jungle for the last 6 months I'd say that what and how you say things has a MUCH greater effect on the organisations percieved effectiveness, and this is a huge factor.
The fact that its a perception is really of no consequence, we've been through a large political upheaval and now have a single IT organisation, which was difficult to say the least. We now have a number of Business managers who are disgruntled to no longer have their own IT bods and also having to accept corporate standards(all in the name of cost cutting). This of course gives them lost of sniping opportunities, I want to drown that crap out with a marketing approach.
We have other groups and individuals who deliver less and have much less responsibility but get great recognition for it as they do a PR job. I want to get whats due to us on that front.
Our(my) issue is that the IT guys just want to get on with the work, and not get involved in that stuff. Who doesn't ? However to get funding or appropriate respect for our peoples roles and responsibility(think ability to influence decisions) in a new organisation takes more than just delivery of good IT, we need to sell how good a job we're doing. Which shouldn't be too hard as they do say good product sells itself. IMHO

Thanks
Cammy

[Edited by camk - 3/12/2002 1:58:13 PM]