Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Great childhood memories.....

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 2009, 08:29 PM
borderlinechris
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great childhood memories.....

sitting in my dads battleship grey Austin Maxi at Prestwick airport watching Concorde taking off and landing(shaking the insides of the car as it taxied down runway...)

what yours??
Old 06 September 2009, 09:02 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Going to Toy and Hobby in Stockport with my mum and grandma with my birthyday money to be spent on tonnes of Technic Lego.

Trips to Alderley Edge and Styal woods on Sunday mornings.
Old 06 September 2009, 09:31 PM
yoza
BANNED

Stealing empty lemo bottles from the back of the Boundry Pub, then getting 5p back on them at the offy.

Sleeping in my bed at night knowing my Mum was home.

Waking up on a Saturday knowing you didnt have to sag school.

Thursday nights, as my Mum finished in the Atlantic Towers Hotel early on a Thursday, she would always bring home a carry out from the kitchens, it was always delicious. We would meet her at the Bus stop, excited to see her getting off the back of the Crossville H5 bus.

Getting a pound note off the milkman each friday morning for helping him out 5 mornings a week, a two hour round before bunking off school....

I did this through the winter, it was so cold the milk froze and popped the foil tops, but I would have done it for free.

I remember the pound note he gave me being huge, I would give it to my Mum, but she would give it me back, I was still in 2nd year juniors, so is that 10 years old..

A pound was a big deal at the time.

The best feeling was defonately point 2...
Old 06 September 2009, 09:48 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Watching the SAS storm the Iranian embassy.

The Argentines being driven into the sea.

Crisps for 8p a pack at the swimming baths.

Battlezone and Scramble arcade machines.

Hooning around on a BMX being a little sod.

Our Price.

Long trips up the motorway to visit grandparents, "are we there yet?"

Endless agruments about mum's map reading "skills" on holiday.

Battle of the Planets
Old 06 September 2009, 09:50 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

lazy sunny days in the late 70's, watching test match cricket all day in my parents house with my older brother with a couple of cans of Skol
Old 06 September 2009, 10:07 PM
borderlinechris
Scooby Regular

ooohhhh battle of the planets!!!! loved that!!!
Old 06 September 2009, 11:03 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

The A team on telly

Friday evenings knowing that there was no school for the next two days

Ride outs with my mates on our BMX's and Glenn who couldn't keep up on his Raleigh Grifter because it weighed the same as a ford fiesta.

The summer holidays which seemed to last for ever

Our family holiday which was a week away by the sea, which was about an hours drive from home!!! but we loved it

Buying sweets from the shop by weight - Quarter of wine gums

Putting down your jumpers for goalposts

Visiting Toytown (toy shop) - my bro liked the toys, I preferred to look at the owners 944

Scalextric - Where my brothers italian job mini was as fast as my BMW M3

Recording the top40 to an audio cassette

The rich kid at school had an atari games computer and that gave him God status

Having to 'line up' in the playground and hold hands with the girl next to you as you walked into class.

When a snickers was called a Marathon

I reckon those currently in their mid thirties, definately had the best childhood times.....
Old 06 September 2009, 11:29 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

British Bulldogs on the playground! Excellent fun!
Old 06 September 2009, 11:38 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Stopping in woods at the edge of the A64 on the way to the coast and my Dad getting the temperamental Primus stove going for a cup of tea.

Exploring the incredibly dangerous sandholes in Holywell woods quarry with a stub of candle and a long crocodile of other kids, some so young as to be carrying teddies, and with snot running down their faces.

Keeping a Devil's Coach-Horse beetle in a jar and "introducing" it to less fearsome insect opponents.

Falling through the roof of a derelict garage and being carried home like a wounded soldier, one limb apiece.

Action Man!! Not like the ****e they have nowadays: gripping hands; suedehead hairdos; SS stormtrooper, Mountie and Commando uniforms on a card; Kitbags of equipment that were impossible to repack once you'd unpacked them.

Being snogged in the bushes at the playground by older girls who had sticky faces.

More to follow....
Old 07 September 2009, 01:53 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Counting stars with my sister from the flat roof of our house, where we slept on long summer nights.

Putting Odomos on and burning mosquito repellent Hippo coil as failed attempts to keep the bloody blood suckers away.

Holding my grand dad's finger on the way to the vegetable market, and getting scared of the holy cows and mighty buffaloes roaming loose all over the place.

Getting caught for sneakily crossing my grand dad's room while he was meditating. We were not to disturb him during his yogasanas. But I just had to do it! He would open just one of his eyes in a winking manner, to spot the culprit. Then he would continue with his yoga , as if nothing had happened. He never told me off for it, although I tiptoed across his room many times. I just wanted to check if I could distract him from his self-discipline exercise. By opening one eye, he proved that he was distracted- FAIL! I loved my grand dad so much!

Too many memories, as many as those stars up in the sky that I could never count.
Old 07 September 2009, 03:04 AM
RobJenks
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Holidays at Christchurch and the cliff lift at Bournemouth - aaaaaaaaaah sweet memories for 2 weeks a year after leaving the bomb sites of London in the late 40's and early 50's .
The train journey- steam of course , from Waterloo to Christchurch was magical and is firmly in my memory for ever.Whenever I get depressed I recall those unbelievably happy times in sunny England when it was the best place on earth to live- I soon get a smle on my face.
Old 07 September 2009, 12:13 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

My dad taking me to Silverstone to see my first ever motor race, it was the Daily Express F1 meeting, Stirling Moss was driving an F1 car and a Jaguar XK120 sports car, in the white crash hat he still uses!

He parked his BSA three wheeler in a field at the back of the circuit and we walked in through the hedge for nothing. When I got an orange box to stand on my first sight was Roy Salvadori rolling his Frazer Nash several types round Stowe Corner. That nearly put me off for life but he was alright in the end although injured and the rest of the racing was outstanding.

Les
Old 07 September 2009, 04:09 PM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

...REAL summers: dry and hot for weeks on end and still light enough to play in the paddling pool in the garden till 11.00pm!

Long journeys back from our Grandparents in Dad's Singer Chamois (posh Imp), rear seat folded down, lying on my back next to my brother, staring up at the stars through the rear window as we headed home. Child seats? Pah, we were lucky if our parents in the front seats even had fixed seat-belts. Not that they'd ever actually use them.

Bob Willis and Ian Botham up against the likes of Dennis Lillee and Jeff Thomson.

...REAL winters: with snow and stuff (a bit like the last one...)

Kids today? They don't know they're born.
Old 07 September 2009, 04:27 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

School chicken pie
Old 07 September 2009, 04:39 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Log fires, none of this central heating crap I loved the smell of burning wood.

Playing in the woods from sun up until sun down hunting for conkers

Walking 2 miles to a friends house, only to find they had gone out. so another 2 mile walk home.

Leather cased footballs. You got hit in the face with one of those you knew about it.
I remember trying to head one once after someone volleyed the ball up in the air. All I can remember is picking myself off the floor with blood pissing out of my nose.

Did my Dad try and sue the school? no he just laughed and called me a big jesse
Old 07 September 2009, 06:46 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Pack of kids, with their pack of dogs, endless sunshine, fields and long grass, stones on the railway line, frogs & toads in the ditches....
Seven kids in a Fiat 500 off swimming, breaking down on a Sunday A1079, and waiting till finally a car to trundle into sight and stopped to help ! ! !
Dog having pups, and getting to keep one !
Lightning jets taking of from Leconfield as we head for the coast....
Not so good, everybody adult smoking.....
Dad dragging coal on a sledge in foot deep snow to keep us warm, 1963/4 and not a car in sight anywhere...

Hovis !

Opps

dunx
Old 07 September 2009, 09:01 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

F1 in the days it was good;

and loads of other **** I cant be bothered to type..........
Old 07 September 2009, 09:13 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Going on a caravan holiday with grandparents.

Holidays at Weymouth and Christchurch. Finding a 10 pound note on Weymouth pier, then having to split it with my two brothers.

Visting Tucktonia model village.

Watching the Class 47's pull coaches through the streets of Weymouth for the boat train to France.
Old 08 September 2009, 09:27 AM
room 512
Scooby Regular

Going to Cornwall every year on holiday and always getting lost in Walsall on the way (No M42 in those days)

Mum doing the weekly wash on a friday night with an ancient twin tub machine, steamed the whole house up for what seemed like hours

Watching Stuart Hall and Eddie Waring on Its a Knockout with my dad and pissing ourselves laughing the whole way through it

Getting to stay up late to watch Starsky and Hutch

Watching my first soft **** film - Emily with Koo Stark

Dad taking his Golf in for a service and getting a Scirocco as a courtesy car, taking me for a long drive in it as it was the fastest thing he'd ever had

Buying matchbox cars on a Saturday from the local market hall with my pocket money

Typing in games code from the computer magazines onto my Commodore 64 and expecting it to work

Playing dares and snogging girls on the back seat of the coach on school trips

Playing footy with mates every night til way past dark

They don't make memories like those any more!
Old 08 September 2009, 11:18 AM
magepaster
Scooby Regular

Watching my Dad racing either his Spitfire or TR6 at various tracks around the country

Visiting Grandma's and playing in her 3 acre garden

Staying with my Uncle in Brighton and him buying me my first pair of boxing gloves

Getting my first real engined kart built to look like a Jim Clarkes F1 Lotus 49

Holidays on the Sussex coast ( Pevensey bay etc )

Sitting in the back of Dads 1965 Jaguar 3.8S ( the smell of the hot leather in summer )

Going to School in waist high snow and sitting on the radiators to get dry

Canoeing in Hockley Port during School holidays

My brother splitting his head open when he fell against a metal tool chest in our motor spares shop

Tipping a bucket of live crabs down my brothers trunks while on holiday in wales. ( I can still hear the screaming )