Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

LGV/HGV trining with guaranteed job?

Search this Thread

Old 20 August 2009, 08:18 PM
McFartenplop
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LGV/HGV training with guaranteed job?

I'm thinking of going for my LGV license then onto my HGV but does anyone know of any training companies that guarantee you a job after you pass?

I've phoned a couple of local companies that do training and asked them but all they say is that theres so many haulage jobs available that I'm bound to find something.

Surely theres some firms out there that take on drivers with no experience? I know the wages wont be great to start with but its something I've always wanted to do.

Last edited by McFartenplop; 20 August 2009 at 08:20 PM.
Old 20 August 2009, 08:41 PM
bazzabugs
Scooby Regular

the lgv licence is the same as the hgv
LGV IS LARGE GOODS VEHICLE
HGV IS HEAVY GOODS VEHICLE
You could always sign on with an agency you would have to do your class 2 then your class 1
Old 20 August 2009, 10:16 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

no guarentees at the minute im thinking. your best bet is to pass and get on with someone like Driver Hire - transport logistics recruitment agency, driving jobs, logistics work, franchises, UK, Ireland to get your experience. after a bit of experience behind the wheel on the job your opportunities will open right up.
Old 20 August 2009, 10:31 PM
gunner068
Scooby Regular

yeah lgv is hgv or cat c which is fixed body, if you want to drive artics you need c+e which means you can pull the trailer.
i did my lgv last year but not used it since as im in the raf, but they paid for it so i can tow aircraft and operate a hiab so i thought it would be a good string to my bow
Old 20 August 2009, 11:26 PM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

I dont mean to put you off, but finding anything without two years experience can be extremely difficult. Many agencies will require this, even though they might not be able to tell you why.

If you can afford it then Id try to pass my LGV C+E (formerly HGV Class 1) as soon as possible afterwards. There are fewer Class 1 drivers available than there are Class 2, so thisll make a difference to your chances of being taken on without experience, as well as your wallet.
Old 21 August 2009, 12:35 AM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon 69
I dont mean to put you off, but finding anything without two years experience can be extremely difficult. Many agencies will require this, even though they might not be able to tell you why.
I can back this up, when i passed my class 1 about 9 years ago nobody in the North West would touch me because i didn`t have 2 years experience, its the insurance companies that stipulate this to the agencies so they can`t touch you, thats what it was like at the time i passed my HGV. The agencies i approached just kept on slamming the door in my face, i wouldn`t let the system beat me though as i had worked hard to get my licence.

Its basically all about where you live, at the time when i passed my class 1 their was a shortage of class 1 HGV drivers down south around London, i`m from Cheshire and i rang some agencies in London to see if i could get some work to build up my experience, i couldn`t believe how much work they offered me.

I packed my bags and drove down to London for just over 2 years to get my experience, down south they seemed to wave the 2 year experience thing due to a shortage of drivers, not sure what its like at present.

Most of the work i did was around East London driving for places like Asda at Dartford, Icelend at Enfield, the Royal Mail/Parcel Force at Silvertown etc etc, all that work was through the agencies.

Good luck in what you decide to do, don`t let the system deprive you of your dream and ambition as its a joke to be honest, you pass your test and become a fully qualified HGV driver yet the system says your not qualified.

Last edited by Rob_Impreza99; 21 August 2009 at 12:37 AM.
Old 21 August 2009, 03:10 AM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Yeah go for it, as said above take your class 1 asap after your class 2, i know they do courses now that incorporate both tests, so after 2 weeks training you do your class 2 then a week after your class 1

As for finding work, its not easy at the moTry here HGV Jobs - HGV Recruitment & Job Search

I got layed off in January and it took me a few months to find another decent job. The thing is at the minute there are plenty of experienced drivers looking for work and haulage companies going under all the time so 'greenhorns' like yourself are left out in the cold, its a vicious circle

Also as said above if you are willing to travel then that very much increases your chances, i drive 50 miles to work but only once a week as i'm a 'tramper' and stay out all week, thats £100 per week tax free to start with

Its a great job once you get into it, i've been at it 12 years now

Good luck with it mate