Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Drivers Republic

Search this Thread

Old 17 August 2009, 01:54 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivers Republic

Just received an email from DR. Seems they've gone out of business.

I knew this would happen. I can't sit and read motoring articles on-line. Does my eyes in. Much prefer to sit on the Bog with a Magazine in my hands and have a good read.

Only visited the site a few times.

Was gutter when Richard Meaden & Jethro Bovingdon left `Evo`. To my mind they were the 2 best writers.

Lets hope they get re-hired. Doubt it though
Old 17 August 2009, 08:50 PM
Zod.
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this what you received?

As most of you will have realised by now, DR has closed its doors and will no longer be publishing the features and videos that we’ve become so renowned for.

There has been plenty of speculation on other sites and forums about the reasons why this has occurred, and despite the first impressions that it must have been for financial reasons, nothing could be further from the truth. Thanks to your participation and the generous support of the automotive industry we were in rude health and looking forward to a bumper year, but differences in our vision about future priorities have led to a parting of ways.

I set up DR because I am genuinely passionate about the communities of car enthusiasts that I have been a part of for many years, my vision was to create a ‘republic’ empowering readers to influence the publishing agenda and bring you closer to the subject (and industry) that you had shown so much support towards.

This vision embraced communities, not just within DR but across the internet, my intention was to let you choose who you interacted with, the content you preferred to consume and provide a quality platform from which you could share your experiences.

I greatly enjoyed meeting and talking with many of you, awarding a bounty of competition prizes and providing rewarding experiences, as those of you who joined us on the GT3 Launch Event can attest. You the reader, have proven that if we treat you with respect then you reward us with a high-level of constructive and interesting feedback. You’ve proven many people wrong who thought it was impossible for brands to engage with users in a social community. That’s what I’m most proud of DR having achieved.

I for one will miss the banter, so I have set up a new community at www.skiddmark.com which will give those of you who wish to keep in touch somewhere to congregate. If there is demand then I will develop it further, but I certainly hope that the momentum we have built will live on in other communities and that car manufacturers will continue to discover new ways of engaging us and making the process of buying and owning cars fun.

Keep the faith, and thanks for all your support. It’s been a blast.

Steve
From what I can gather there seemed to have been some creative differences between the journos and Steve, which resulted in a planned buyout by the journos. Steve pulled the rug from under them.
Those journos made it what it was, without them the place is shafted.

I never really understood the concept of a digital mag anyway, as you say reaading a mag on the sh1tter is rather more satisfying.