Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Where For Cheap Garage?

Search this Thread

Old 09 March 2002, 04:57 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Looking at one for insurance purposes only, 'can only insure this car in this area if it is garaged sir' (and I'd be happier if the car wasn't on show at all times)

If I have the right end of the stick, you do not need planning permission to construct one if it is made of a temporary material ie wood. To this end, does anyone know of anywhere that can supply cheap wooden structures big enough to contain a car? Or would I be better off trying to find someone who knows a joiner/builder who could do one as a homer for me?

The garage would be in the back garden, which already has a 6 foot wall all around it, and given the car is quite low, there is no reason for it to stick up above this, if required it could be just bigger than the car, with doors at each end, so I could push the car in/out, sort of a tunnel which closes off to become a building.

Any ideas?
Old 09 March 2002, 07:04 PM
Dirty_Den
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

When I had my garage built, I rang the local council asking about planning permission - when not required etc.

As I live off a private road, planning permission was not required if it faced onto the private road. I just asked my neighbours if they had any objections to me putting the garage up, they said no, so off I went!

I dunno about your understanding of the planning permission regs. However, the garage that was there before my new one was a garage made out of fabricated sheets of metal, you used to be able to get it in the Argos catalogue for around the £500 mark if I remember rightly. Maybe you might not need planning permission for one of these as it's not a permanent structure?

If you're a dab hand with a screwdriver and have some willing friends, you could probably have it up in a couple of days. (I had it taken down in a morning with one other person helping).

Den