Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Upgrading iphone 2g to 3Gs

Search this Thread

Old 23 July 2009, 01:01 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading iphone 2g to 3Gs

Anyone know if I'll get a better deal going through customer retention, or do I just do a straight upgrade?
Old 23 July 2009, 01:04 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

From the sounds of it O2 have not shown much interest in doing deals.
Old 23 July 2009, 01:09 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I was considering doing the same when getting my 3GS (coming from an SE W200a) but I didn't think it was worth it. I was with Rogers and the only other network I could go to was Fido, which is owned by Rogers. Bell, Telus and the other networks are CDMA and it's only Rogers/Fido that are GSM, so it's the only network the phone will work on, thus I figured their retention department would know this, and not offer much of an incentive as if I go, I can't get the iPhone on another network.

The UK is different as although the iPhone is locked to O2, you do have other GSM carriers that you could switch to, and so there is a true potential loss of customer.

Worst case, they don't offer you anything, best case, they do. No harm done in asking them.
Old 23 July 2009, 01:15 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Going on what people were saying early days, they were being told no early upgrade deals, and if you want a new one, buy out or get a new contract.

Maybe thats changed. As the only official UK dealer/supplier, they have you by the *****.
Old 23 July 2009, 01:48 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

This was the response I got from them when I emailed to see about an upgrade.

Its abit long winded, so if you want the short version;

No deals to upgrade.

Dear O2 Customer

Thanks for emailing us about upgrading to the new iPhone 3G S.

Were happy to inform you that iPhone 3G S will be available from 19th June onwards on our network. Theres no advance booking option for the 16 GB and 32 GB versions and all phones will be sold on first come first serve basis.

Please be informed that an early upgrade to the new iPhone 3G S isnt possible for any of our customers before they complete their existing contract term or without having to pay the relevant cancellation charges.

To check the prices and the different tariffs that would be available by 19th June on a Pay Monthly contract, please click on the link below:

Pay Monthly

How to upgrade to the new iPhone 3G S?

All our existing iPhone and non iPhone Pay Monthly customers can choose from any of the 3 options (given below) to upgrade to the new iPhone 3G S.

Option 1 

You'll need to first complete your existing contract term. For example, if your existing contract has already completed or completes by June 2009  then you're eligible to upgrade to the new iPhone 3G S.

You don't need to worry if you dont remember your contract completion date, you can always find it out by visiting the 'View my tariffs and services' section / link on our website given below:

My O2 - O2

If you have completed your existing contract term then you can upgrade to the new iPhone 3G S using the link given below, beginning 19th June:

https://upgrades.o2.co.uk/index.htm#getMPN

While upgrading online, you'll need your existing mobile phone number and your account number on hand. If you dont remember your account number, please dont worry, as you can find it on the right hand side of your online bill.

Option 2 

You can still go for the iPhone 3G S if you havent yet completed your existing contract term. To be able to do this, you will need to cancel your existing contract by paying the relevant cancellation charges .Cancellation charges are calculated by multiplying your monthly line rental charge with the remaining months of your existing contract.

After you have cancelled your existing contract, you can then sign up for a new Pay Monthly contract for the iPhone 3G S. If you'd like to proceed, you can simply email us to cancel and then place a new order for the new iPhone 3G S by visiting the link below:

iPhone

Option 3 

You can also purchase the iPhone 3G S on Pay & Go and then use it with your existing iPhone 3G SIM card.

You'll be happy to know that all our existing iPhone customers can place their existing iPhone 3G SIM card into the new iPhone 3G S and receive all the latest functionality. If you choose to do this, you'll continue to pay for your existing iPhone tariff's line rental without having to go for any new iPhone 3G S Pay & Go tariffs. Here's the link where you can view the details of the iPhone 3G S Pay & Go: Pay & Go

Did you know that you can upgrade your existing iPhone with the new iPhone OS 3.0 software which will be free to download from 17 June offering over 100 new features. You can view the amazing new features that will come with the iPhone OS 3.0 software by visiting the link below:

iPhone OS 3.0 Software - iPhone

You can download this software from the latest iTunes 8.2 or above version. If you don't have the latest iTunes version, no worries, you can download it by using the link below:

Apple - Download music and more with iTunes. Play it all on iPod.

We request you to please keep checking our website using the link below for the most up to date information that we have on the new iPhone 3G S:

iPhone

Thank you once again for taking time out to email us and for your interest in the new iPhone.

Kind regards,

O2 Customer Service.
Old 23 July 2009, 06:39 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing unusual there, only this week voda announced it was doing something similar with their customers, and tbh, unless you pay to the end of the contract, there isn't much you can do.
The handset will be worth nothing if it goes back to O2, the major profit goes back to apple, so your stuck unfortunately unless you sell yours and buy a 3GS on P and G.

Tony
Old 23 July 2009, 08:07 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

I'm already out of contract Tony- they're trying to get me to upgrade but obviously want the best deal I can get