Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Haunted electrical appliances!

Search this Thread

Old 23 July 2009, 02:08 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Haunted electrical appliances!

Over the last three nights, my Xbox 360 has been turning itself on. There is only myself in the room and I'm about six feet away from the Xbox so I can't reach the power button from where I'm sitting.

While I was watching a dvd through the Xbox last night, it automatically started choosing menus and selecting which chapters on the disc it wanted to play next.

Does anyone else have any experience of haunted electrical appliances?

Any non-supernatural ideas what may be causing this occurence? I'm wondering if it's my 3G dongle sending signals....
Old 23 July 2009, 08:59 AM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

My tomtom belts out instructions from the kitchen cupboard even though its been off,

we used it three weeks ago, and it go's flat quickly and its still saying turn left at the top of the road,

when i was living at home, the old microwave that we had interfered with the telly when it was on,
and the first telly we had with a remote control, we could turn it over by jangling keys at it.
Old 23 July 2009, 09:17 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back when I was at school, one of my mates (well, his parents) had the same make and model of TV that the school had in one of the rooms. Occasionally he would bring the remote control into school and switch it on/off/change the channel whenever we were walking past the room.
Old 23 July 2009, 09:21 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

My kettle switches itself on and off

Infact it is the second one, as the old one was doing the same so we changed it

We would be sitting watching TV and every now and again we would hear a click noise, that sounded exactly like the kettle, we reluctantly put it down to the extractor fan clicking in the wind (sounded nothing like it, sounded like the feckin kettle to me)

Anyway we changed the kettle over and kept hearing this noise, one day i was walking to the kitchen, 3 steps away and i heard the noise, then heard the missus gasp

I walk in, she is looking a bit white "was that the kettle?" "yes i saw it with my own eyes"

**** ME!!!

The water was hot?

Now we make sure the kettle is switched off at the wall after use, but still the thing clicks the switch up and down by itself
Old 23 July 2009, 12:44 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
Over the last three nights, my Xbox 360 has been turning itself on. There is only myself in the room and I'm about six feet away from the Xbox so I can't reach the power button from where I'm sitting.

While I was watching a dvd through the Xbox last night, it automatically started choosing menus and selecting which chapters on the disc it wanted to play next.

Any non-supernatural ideas what may be causing this occurence? I'm wondering if it's my 3G dongle sending signals....
Was it choosing the menus and chapters that you wanted yourself?

Les
Old 23 July 2009, 01:25 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately not, it would go from half way through the third, straight to the seventh!
Old 24 July 2009, 02:52 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I find the same if I am silly enough to go near the washing machine.

Les
Old 24 July 2009, 04:27 PM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I was a kid I used to be so charged with static electricity it was untrue. I once entered the lounge and simply managed to put the TV onto standby as a result of the static generated.

I also used to create quite a light effects show if I wore a replica football shirt in the dark too.

I also experience a strange phenomenon with street lamps now - although this has only happening since my days at Uni (12 yrs ago) - in so much as particular street lamps (at work and or place residence) will go out when I walk passed them. I can come back to them when they are lit again (ie the following night as they appear to stay out for the rest of the night) and the buggers will go off again. This has happened at various places of work, and on different streets where I have lived in the past, and where I live now.

Has anyone else come across this?

Last edited by Jonnys3; 24 July 2009 at 04:28 PM.
Old 24 July 2009, 04:34 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

Football shirt?????
Old 24 July 2009, 04:46 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't

Has next door got one? If so you could mess with their head like they are messing with yours
Old 24 July 2009, 04:51 PM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by oldsplice
Football shirt?????
Come on, I was a kid - everyone had replica football shirts when I was a kid; days of old when you could buy a full kit for less than £20.

The static generated whilst wearing those was briliant, sparks would fly everywhere.
Old 24 July 2009, 04:53 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

I have a spooky washing machine. Quite often I come downstairs to find it humming and vibrating, and full of garments and water; later, those self-same garments I find in my drawers and wardrobe. Terrifying and inexplicable.
Old 24 July 2009, 04:55 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

if u use the hdmi cable from the tv to xbox it may be getting a signal from the tv turning it on.
Old 24 July 2009, 04:57 PM
wrighty338
Scooby Regular

I was at work a few nights ago and the place is built on an ooollldd police station/court/jail house. Basically we have a few meeting rooms with IPT confrence phones in - which email to tell us when they are not plugged in! Overnight there are only me and two others in the whole building, 1 being security and 1 being an overnight sub..we are all on the ground floor (for power saving reasons)

(at the time i didnt not know this) 2 nights previous one of the phones alerted us it wasnt plugged in on the 2nd floor and when investigated the meeting room lights (movement activated - take 20mins to turn off) were off yet the phone was unplugged. - no biggy? an hour later it did the same again yet nobody else was upstairs and once again the lights were off. indicating nobody had been in - strange! But it gets stranger!

i started my shift last friday..21:40 and i got an email to say a different phone had been unplugged..okay went up to take a look...no lights on..phone was on a trolley with a pc..phone had had both ends of its power lead unplugged, wrapped up into a neat coil and placed on top of the phone the power sockets are under flaps in the floor, the flap had been shut and the trolley positioned directly over the flap in the floor. WTF!!!! how if nobody had been in?

Another strange one was - as the lights are all movement activated i went up to the 1st floor one night to find no lights on, but one single light in the corner on suggesting someone had been in the corner, but couldnt have got there without walking across the rest of the floor and again nobody is in on that floor until office hours.

Some PC's in powersave sometimes turn themselves on, at random early hours. Shadows of people have been seen by myself and another colleague in the server room, and lastly on quiet nights you can hear footsteps of people on the floor above you. all strange but true

im in overnight tongiht - i wonder what will happen
Old 24 July 2009, 06:17 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

maybe your xbox is becoming a ring of death hybrid where it can actually control itself and eventually will control you too
Old 24 July 2009, 06:18 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

I'd change my job!
Old 24 July 2009, 07:03 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jonnys3

I also experience a strange phenomenon with street lamps now - although this has only happening since my days at Uni (12 yrs ago) - in so much as particular street lamps (at work and or place residence) will go out when I walk passed them. I can come back to them when they are lit again (ie the following night as they appear to stay out for the rest of the night) and the buggers will go off again. This has happened at various places of work, and on different streets where I have lived in the past, and where I live now.

Has anyone else come across this?
I get that every now and then. lights occasionally turn off as I pass them. Sometimes they stay off, sometimes they will come back on when I am further away. I dont know if its static though, as it sometimes happens as I am driving the car too.
The most common occurance was whenever I went to the car auction in Aberdeen. Its indoors in a big warehouse and lit by sodium-type lamps on the roof. They would quite often go out one by one as I walked around, coming back on once I was a little further away from them.
Old 24 July 2009, 07:18 PM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Yep, it can happen when I'm in the car too David. Very strange. I'm not putting this one down to static but something's definitely very odd about it. Would certainly make a good story for that old children's programme Round The Twist.

Glad I'm not the only one who experiences this - in fact I just googled this and there are 10,700,000 results. Perhaps a bit more of a common phenomenon than I originally thought.

Last edited by Jonnys3; 24 July 2009 at 07:22 PM.
Old 24 July 2009, 07:24 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 24 July 2009, 07:24 PM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

what a weird phenomem...pheno...phen....... thing to happen!!

i'm gonna find a nylon shirt, charge myself up on the carpet later and go outside and try it out !!!

look out for me on the news at 10
Old 24 July 2009, 07:36 PM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Just checked a few of those 10,700,000 results for street lights turning off when specific persons walk by them.

Apparently we're known as SLIders and the phenomenon is known as Street Lamp Interference:

"The phenomenon is known as street lamp interference, or SLI, and it possibly is a psychic event that is just beginning to be recognized and studied. Like most phenomena of this type, the evidence is almost exclusively anecdotal. I have received several stories like the one above from readers.

Typically, a person who has this effect on streetlights - also known as a SLIder - finds that the light switches on or off when he or she walks or drives beneath it. Obviously, this could happen occasionally by chance with a faulty streetlight (you've probably noticed that it's happened to you once in a while), but SLIders claim that it happens to them on a regular basis. It doesn't happen every time with every streetlight, but it occurs often enough to make these people suspect that something unusual is going on.

Very often, SLIders also report that they tend to have an odd effect on other electronic devices. In letters I've received, these people claim such effects as:

•Appliances such as lamps and TVs go on and off without being touched.
•Lightbulbs constantly blow when the SLIder tries to turn them off or on.
•Volume levels change on TVs, radios, and CD players.
•Watches stop working.
•Children's electronic toys start by themselves when the SLIder is present.
•Credit cards and other magnetically encoded cards are damaged or erased when in their possession."

SLIders & the Streetlight Phenomenon

I'm not sure I believe in Pyschic hocuspocus stuff but seems David and myself are not alone in this.

Old 24 July 2009, 07:41 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

come to think of it my sis has always sent electrical items crazy,as far as i know the human body holds an electrical charge or along those lines.when my sis was younger she couldn't wear a watch it would just go crazy,even the fax machine at work would go mad when she was near it.Things have calmed down since she got older though.
Old 24 July 2009, 07:43 PM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Hey, thats a cool party trick though !!!

i wonder if you could "become" a slider or if its a gift..
Old 24 July 2009, 07:44 PM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

my sis has always sent electrical items crazy
sorry but this read quite funny to me
Old 24 July 2009, 07:48 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRX_Dazza
sorry but this read quite funny to me
no problem zappppp zapppppp ekkkkkk wtf
Old 24 July 2009, 07:56 PM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

The streetlight thing only started happening after I went to uni so it would seem you can join the club at anytime. **** knows how though!!

Last edited by Jonnys3; 24 July 2009 at 08:00 PM.
Old 24 July 2009, 08:12 PM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

The streetlight thing only started happening after I went to uni so it would seem you can join the club at anytime. **** knows how though!!
hmmm. might be worthy of some investigating this lark
Old 24 July 2009, 08:25 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

I got a theory on this,it happened after you went to uni,which means your body was on an electrical high for passing and being accepted into uni,white lightening cider,or it was the first time you got laid....by a girl
Old 24 July 2009, 08:54 PM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

£1.10 a pint of watered down Bowland Bitter, £1.20 a bottle of Holsten Pils, Brooks' meat market (sorry, nightclub) in Lancaster... happy happy days. Reckon you just might be right.
Old 25 July 2009, 03:16 AM
wrighty338
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrighty338
I was at work a few nights ago and the place is built on an ooollldd police station/court/jail house. Basically we have a few meeting rooms with IPT confrence phones in - which email to tell us when they are not plugged in! Overnight there are only me and two others in the whole building, 1 being security and 1 being an overnight sub..we are all on the ground floor (for power saving reasons)

(at the time i didnt not know this) 2 nights previous one of the phones alerted us it wasnt plugged in on the 2nd floor and when investigated the meeting room lights (movement activated - take 20mins to turn off) were off yet the phone was unplugged. - no biggy? an hour later it did the same again yet nobody else was upstairs and once again the lights were off. indicating nobody had been in - strange! But it gets stranger!

i started my shift last friday..21:40 and i got an email to say a different phone had been unplugged..okay went up to take a look...no lights on..phone was on a trolley with a pc..phone had had both ends of its power lead unplugged, wrapped up into a neat coil and placed on top of the phone the power sockets are under flaps in the floor, the flap had been shut and the trolley positioned directly over the flap in the floor. WTF!!!! how if nobody had been in?

Another strange one was - as the lights are all movement activated i went up to the 1st floor one night to find no lights on, but one single light in the corner on suggesting someone had been in the corner, but couldnt have got there without walking across the rest of the floor and again nobody is in on that floor until office hours.

Some PC's in powersave sometimes turn themselves on, at random early hours. Shadows of people have been seen by myself and another colleague in the server room, and lastly on quiet nights you can hear footsteps of people on the floor above you. all strange but true

im in overnight tongiht - i wonder what will happen
Just sat at my desk now with radio on quiet plodding along iv heard a big thud over by the window followed by what sounded like someone walking along the floor and it creaking. Just gone absolutely freezing and keep hearing movement/taps

Quick Reply: Haunted electrical appliances!