Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Dodgy Emails

Search this Thread

Old 20 July 2009, 10:19 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dodgy Emails

Might be a SIAL,just had a phone call telling not to open any Emails that come through with the words, Hallmark Postcard or Hallmark Image,f*cks your hardrive,well thats what i was told
Old 20 July 2009, 10:33 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How exciting

snopes.com: 'Hallmark Postcard from a Family Member' virus
Old 20 July 2009, 10:53 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

if any warning CONTAINS ALL CAPS, says it will destroy your hard drive, or asks to pass on to everyone you know, is probably a hoax
Old 21 July 2009, 08:07 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

But just forward it on anyway, because I've probably only received it 25 times and you never know one of these might be true!
Old 21 July 2009, 08:54 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

I've just been checking my emails now whilst filtering through some choons and had 2 dodgy looking ones from "Paypal". Hover over the supposed safe link in the email and it does indeed say nigeria in the bottom status bar

Wondered why it went straight to my junk folder
Old 21 July 2009, 08:57 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
But just forward it on anyway, because I've probably only received it 25 times and you never know one of these might be true!

I find the best thing to do, is forward it back to people who are all ready on the list as receiving it previously
Old 21 July 2009, 09:19 AM
scunnered
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Was it this one?

Postcard Image Virus Hoax
Old 21 July 2009, 09:42 AM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

You'll forget about this email in a month and if then you will receive an email saying "Look at this funny dog", the email will contain a zero day exploit that no one knew about and has already fecked a load of computers around the world before you've even got the email saying "Don't read the email with title "Look at this funny dog"". So you're already fecked. Just delete the email and use caution with any email that contains attachments or links.

Rather than pay attention to the emails in order to protect your PC, the time is better spent keeping your PC up to date with the latest virus definitions and other updates.

BTW the so called mate who passed this on and says it is real. It ain't and no one can ever find the "mate".
Old 21 July 2009, 12:49 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Dogs B******s
Might be a SIAL,just had a phone call telling not to open any Emails that come through with the words, Hallmark Postcard or Hallmark Image,f*cks your hardrive,well thats what i was told
Im sure Hallmark will be really pleased with that.....
Old 21 July 2009, 04:42 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Miniman
You'll forget about this email in a month and if then you will receive an email saying "Look at this funny dog", the email will contain a zero day exploit that no one knew about and has already fecked a load of computers around the world before you've even got the email saying "Don't read the email with title "Look at this funny dog"". So you're already fecked. Just delete the email and use caution with any email that contains attachments or links.

Rather than pay attention to the emails in order to protect your PC, the time is better spent keeping your PC up to date with the latest virus definitions and other updates.

BTW the so called mate who passed this on and says it is real. It ain't and no one can ever find the "mate".
Yes its so prevalent, google has zero virus related hits about it. Just putting a technical term in the warning doesn't make it true....