Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Advice needed please, home cinema enthusiasts

Search this Thread

Old 19 July 2009, 06:47 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice needed please, home cinema enthusiasts

I popped into Richer Sounds earlier to buy some speaker cable, as I wanted to get it pinned to the wall today as I'm having the room plastered and coved over the next couple of days.

Unfortunately, I saw this and liked it.

HARMAN KARDON AVR355 at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

So that's now sitting in a box upstairs.

Now, the plan is to have 4 wall mounted speakers in all four corners of the room, with the normal sub hidden away somewhere, but the only speakers they had in the shop were either too large or not what I was looking for.

Can anyone recommend a set, I want them to be as small as poss, square and wall mounted.

This stuff is all new to me, so be gentle.
Old 19 July 2009, 07:12 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what sort of budget do you have for ur speakers and sub?
Old 19 July 2009, 07:14 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Just picking a figure out of the air £400

Is that enough for a decent set up?

Last edited by cookstar; 19 July 2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old 19 July 2009, 07:16 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

£400 will get you a great bit of kit, but one other question. What cable did you buy from Richer?
Old 19 July 2009, 07:23 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Not sure what it's called but it was £2.00 per meter and its quite thick so hopefully it's good enough.
Old 19 July 2009, 07:26 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

A good choice depending on the size of the room would probably be these Kef speakers
KEF KHT1005-2-BLK at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.
They are pretty hard to beat for £300 and always get very good write-ups although they wouldn't be my first choice.

These would be my first choice but they may screw up your budget. The Tannoy pack is the best small speaker all in one setup i've ever sold they are amazing and use Duel Concentric drivers which do a very good job with anything you throw at them be it music or cinema whilst retaining a small size!
TANNOY ARENA-LITE-SIL at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.
Now the reason they may blow your budget is, the last time i sold these speakers they were £1000 (and even then they were a bargain) but the wall mounts for them were extremely expensive, from memory £150 a pair. I really strongly recommend these speakers but do check on the price of wall brackets first before falling in love with 'em.
Old 19 July 2009, 07:30 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar
Not sure what it's called but it was £2.00 per meter and its quite thick so hopefully it's good enough.
Symphony 400 i guess, good cable I use it on my front Monitor Audio Silver6's as it took the edge off the extreme brightness of my Amp/Speaker setup.

Good scope with that cable as it really is better than the price would dictate although as you say quite thick so can be a bollox to work with on small speakers which crap connectors.
Old 19 July 2009, 07:33 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
A good choice depending on the size of the room would probably be these Kef speakers
KEF KHT1005-2-BLK at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.
They are pretty hard to beat for £300 and always get very good write-ups although they wouldn't be my first choice.

These would be my first choice but they may screw up your budget. The Tannoy pack is the best small speaker all in one setup i've ever sold they are amazing and use Duel Concentric drivers which do a very good job with anything you throw at them be it music or cinema whilst retaining a small size!
TANNOY ARENA-LITE-SIL at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.
Now the reason they may blow your budget is, the last time i sold these speakers they were £1000 (and even then they were a bargain) but the wall mounts for them were extremely expensive, from memory £150 a pair. I really strongly recommend these speakers but do check on the price of wall brackets first before falling in love with 'em.

I looked at the "egg" speakers today, wasn't keen at all with the look of them, the Tannoy ones look far better, but am not paying £300 for brackets.

I'll give Richer a call tomorrow and see what price they are quoting for them.
Old 19 July 2009, 07:37 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

I quite like the look of these Jamo's, although the website doesn't quote a price I can find.

A 320 HCS 6 Home Cinema Systems - Description
Old 19 July 2009, 08:00 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

The Kefs arent my cup of tea either to be honest, but they do sound good for the money. The brackets for the Tannoys are a bit rediculous but they are some piece of kit, if i had to get rid of my Monitor Audio Silver setup they'd be my choice of replacement.

I've never had any experience with Jamo speakers so i really couldn't help you on them.
Old 19 July 2009, 11:19 PM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

Ok after a recent thread about AV gear I felt I can't resist posting so all the anti Bose people can have a go

Seriously if size is an issue we've just completed a self build and If asked my favouirte bit it has to be the sound system - Bose. I love it amazing sound great home cinema. Multiroom sound - including out on the patio with acess from each room to all stored CD's.

So speaker size

Still work in progress but for such small speakers the sound is excelllant

Last edited by daddyscoob; 19 July 2009 at 11:22 PM.
Old 19 July 2009, 11:51 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

MORDAUNT SHORT ALUMNI-SYS-BLK at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

Mission M-CUBE 5.1 Speaker Package << UK >> AVLAND* MISSION MCUBE 5.1 Speaker System

KEF AV1 Video Review << UK >> AVLAND Kef AV1 Home Cinema Speaker Pacakge 1

Mission M30i Cinema+ 5.1 << UK >> AVLAND* MISSION M30i-Cinema+ 5.1 System

Jamo A402HCS5/BK 5.1 Home Cinema System - Buy from Sound and Vision

BOSE Acoustimass® 5 III Black Retail Demonstration & Purchase Only - Sound and Vision

BOSE Acoustimass® 6 Black MK IV Retail Demonstration & Purchase Only - Sound and Vision

Last edited by corradoboy; 19 July 2009 at 11:52 PM.
Old 20 July 2009, 07:39 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

That install looks superb mate.

Corradobob, just what I was after with the links, can you recommend any of those though?
Old 20 July 2009, 07:49 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

You'll have to go check them out with your own ears I'm afraid. I've owned Mission equipment for many years and have always been impressed. Kef and MS are well respected. Bose have built a good name for themselves in recent years and are brilliant considering the size of the units.
Old 20 July 2009, 09:05 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't bother with the MS Alumni pack, they don't like being put under pressure. I've seen a few coming back with blown drivers due to their delicate nature and as they are a sealed unit from memory, they have to go back to MS who aren't that helpful if they "think" they have been blown due to mis-use which is generally not the case.
Old 20 July 2009, 01:36 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

I would recommend monitor audio radius range. They come in a range of sizes ie r45,r90,r225 and r250.

The range was recently up dated and so you can get great deals on the outgoing range. Loads on ebay.

You can use say r250 in the middle (as its the most important spker for films) and say r180 for L and R and then 45 or 90 at the back.

Then buy a BK Gemini sub for about £200. It will come a little over your budget, but will be worth it
Old 20 July 2009, 01:41 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Deep Singh
I would recommend monitor audio radius range. They come in a range of sizes ie r45,r90,r225 and r250.

The range was recently up dated and so you can get great deals on the outgoing range. Loads on ebay.

You can use say r250 in the middle (as its the most important spker for films) and say r180 for L and R and then 45 or 90 at the back.

Then buy a BK Gemini sub for about £200. It will come a little over your budget, but will be worth it
Now thats good advice if you can get the items within budget be it second hand or brand new, i would go for 90's on the rear over the 45's thou!
Old 20 July 2009, 05:44 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Good amp choice. I paid a bit more than that on a 255 when it first came out.

Good bit of kit. I bought Quad Lite surround speakers but you'll struggle to find the Lite pack and the Lite 2 pack is over £1000.
Old 20 July 2009, 05:55 PM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nat21

HTH.