Rolex Owners - Image

Search this Thread

Old 18 July 2009, 11:23 AM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rolex Owners - Image

Right..scene setting.

I'm looking to buy a GMT Master II. I'm comparing it Omega's Broad Arrow and a Ltd Edition Seamaster amongst some of the SS Sports watches that have my attention.

I'm also considering a Daytona.

Now, I'm not interested in the Trolls and their small minded insults regarding Rolexes or paying more that £20 for a Casio etc etc...

What I am interested in is the image such a watch portrays..

I'm not buying it or another high end watch for the image.. I'm buying it because I appreciate the engineering, design and downright precision and uniqueness. I'm not interested in waving it about, but I am interested in it being part of my daily life. Something to admire and enjoy..for me.

I'd appreciate the feedback from other Rolex owners (those who wear them often) on how they are perceived when people spot them?

Being a BMW driver I'm familiar with the stereo typical crap that gets chucked about (I'm not talking to the friendly banter I get from my mates) so I'd like to know if I'm likely to get similar reactions as this may steer me to an Omega...

I do have a Speedmaster Chrono which gave me some trouble a few years back and I promised I wouldn't go back...

Ta..
Old 18 July 2009, 11:31 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

with so many fakes around i usually wonder if is real or not
Old 18 July 2009, 12:08 PM
rabbos
Scooby Regular

There must be better forums to get advice on these watches surely?

Regardless of watch type brand etc. I feel they are redundant since I carry a phone which tells the time...

Hence I believe (assuming you also carry a mobile) that their only purpose is for the benefit of vanity/showing off regardless of how it is justified within your head IMO
Old 18 July 2009, 01:40 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The Daytona manages to be a very good watch without being unpleasantly showy.

Les
Old 18 July 2009, 01:51 PM
yoza
BANNED

You will not be disappointed with a Rolex GMT MasterII ceramic.

Not huge, blingie, or in your face, yet filled with new Rolex tech, new ceramic bezel, new clasp, new nicer soft clicking bezel mech...a beautiful watch.

Certain models shout out "HIT ME ON THE HEAD"...... the GMT wont.
Old 18 July 2009, 01:54 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Image - would not worry about it.
Fakes, yes a lot around but you know it is the real deal.

i buy a watch for me not for what others think about.
Old 18 July 2009, 02:55 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rabbos
There must be better forums to get advice on these watches surely?

Regardless of watch type brand etc. I feel they are redundant since I carry a phone which tells the time...

Hence I believe (assuming you also carry a mobile) that their only purpose is for the benefit of vanity/showing off regardless of how it is justified within your head IMO
Fair point mate, but I disagree. I knew I could time any watch to both Nat & Yoza turning up sharpish. Both of these guys (and a couple more) know their stuff and I trust their views explicitly. Plus, I'm after an opinion from a general none watch owners forum. I know everyone on here to be from the same sort of peer group, who enjoy or own similar cars so I'm assuming their viewpoint would be from the same background. You can't get that from a dedicated watch forum. Though I will be looking there too.

I can use a bus to get from A-B, but I choose to use a car. Not a simple, small, cheap car because that does the job too. I choose to drive a car I enjoy. I don't drive it to shout 'look at me' but I chose the car I drive now for me because I enjoy the engineering, toys and all round ability. I'm assuming you own a Scoob of some description? I've had three including a Litchfield and have moved on; I assume you will too one day. I also assume you don't choose to drive a Yaris or similar 'get you from A-B car' because you enjoy the Scoob for what it is...... that's how I feel about watches.

Originally Posted by Nat21
And if you go for the Omega everyone will assume you couldn't afford a Rolex
On the head in one sense... Your other comment is also spot on to what I'm thinking at the moment as Yoza's comments shows all too well.

Originally Posted by yoza
Not huge, blingie, or in your face, yet filled with new Rolex tech, new ceramic bezel, new clasp, new nicer soft clicking bezel mech...a beautiful watch.

Certain models shout out "HIT ME ON THE HEAD"...... the GMT wont.
I agree. That's one reason why the GMT stood out. I feel the Daytona and the 'obvious' Rolex's steps over that mark a fraction. I don't need the Chrono function of the Daytona either. If I do I can use the Speedmaster.

Paul & Les. Thanks. I've not seen the Daytona in the flesh, so can't comment, but my perception from photos is that (for me) it does look a little OTT.

Fakes I can live with. It's going to happen. But the watch is for me, no one else. Something I can look forward to handing down to the kids too...
Old 18 July 2009, 03:27 PM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

I own a number of watches including Breitling, Sinn and Omega, but while I've thought about a Rolex, never taken the plunge. The Explorer II and GMT II ceramic are the only ones that really appeal to me.

My personal impression is that stainless steel models with traditional black or white face are classic designs and relatively understated compared to a lot of current watches.
But, as soon as you go gold or add any precious stone, the whole image changes to one of look at how much money I've got, or its immediately seen as a fake unless you know the wearer is loaded.

Get the GMT II if thats what you like - just make sure its a stainless steel version

Gareth
Old 18 July 2009, 03:45 PM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

Sinn 144 GMT, I bought it last year. Just as well as prices have rocketed recently.

I've always like the "Porsche Design" style of chrono, and its not too large for my wrists.

The Sinn U series are great watches. The biggest problem with Sinn is the fact that they are not widely available to view, and there is only one official dealer in the UK. They also have to returned to Germany for service and repair (if needed), and that can take some time.

Any particular model you like ?

Gareth
Old 18 July 2009, 04:25 PM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

Yep, I bought mine from Neil at Chronomaster.

The 103 and 356 are a lovely watches. Go on, you know you want to

Last edited by GarethE; 18 July 2009 at 04:28 PM.
Old 18 July 2009, 06:37 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C

What I am interested in is the image such a watch portrays..

The watch doesn't portray any image, most people will think its a copy and more will not even notice the watch! I think it will be rare if someone even notices your wearing a quality watch? I looked forward to buying mine then after 2 days you realise its a waste of cash What I will say is if your gonna get one make sure the one you buy is the one that your going to be happy with as I doubt you will buy another. I always regret not buying the mother of pearl face for my watch as it was another £700 at the time, but if I wanted to change it now the jewerlers wants £2k which I'm not gonna pay as I wouldn't know how to sell my diamond face ???
Old 18 July 2009, 07:03 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Why would anyone buy a Rolex for any reason other than image?

Sadly to me they say "I need to get a life but in the meantime LOOK AT MY WATCH!!"

Tee hee...
Old 18 July 2009, 08:03 PM
falkster
Scooby Regular

Everyone will assume it's fake.

But f**K everyone, wear it and enjoy it
Exactly, I rarely wear mine but every time I do someone will spot it and say the usual 'that real?'.....I always reply 'No'
Old 18 July 2009, 08:07 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

I've just bought an Omega Seamaster Chronometer and I think it's a lovely watch, I didn't buy it to impress anyone, I bought it as it's what i've always wanted, **** what anyone else thinks if you want it and it makes you happy then get it.
Old 18 July 2009, 08:08 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
The watch doesn't portray any image, most people will think its a copy and more will not even notice the watch!
That's my concern and the question. If I'm likely to get smug ***** thinking it's either fake or making comments (or worse still asking to relieve me of it....) then I'm likely to go elsewhere as that's not what I want.

Matteeboy's post springs instantly to life here....

I would wear it all (if not most) of the time but your comment about immediately thinking it a waste of cash was very interesting. Why was this? Money problems making you rethink or that the initial head rush to buy one subsided?
Old 18 July 2009, 08:08 PM
falkster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
Why would anyone buy a Rolex for any reason other than image?

Sadly to me they say "I need to get a life but in the meantime LOOK AT MY WATCH!!"

Tee hee...
In that case anything you buy can be seen as 'look at me' can't it?
Why do you buy Hugo Boss tops?
Why do you buy Patrick *** shoes
Why do you have armani jeans?
Why do you drive a flash car?

Really we should all drive round in Datsun Cherrys and wear clothes from Matalan.
Old 18 July 2009, 08:54 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by falkster

Really we should all drive round in Datsun Cherrys and wear clothes from Matalan.
Agree completely. This is where the 'Watch doom mongers' arguments fall around their ears... and they go quiet...

Unless of course Matteeboy does drive a Datsun Cherry and wears Matalan clothes... If that was the case. I'd apologise.
Old 18 July 2009, 08:56 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

Buying a Rolex is better than money in the bank.

A new Rolex purchased this time last year would be worth 33% more right now.
Any sign that prices will come down due to the current climate...?

I see that discounts of 15-2-% can be had on Omega's, but the AD offered nothing on Rolex's. I'd assume the brand strength means this can be done with ease as all the AD prices are the same.
Old 18 July 2009, 09:20 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C
That's my concern and the question. If I'm likely to get smug ***** thinking it's either fake or making comments (or worse still asking to relieve me of it....) then I'm likely to go elsewhere as that's not what I want.

Matteeboy's post springs instantly to life here....

I would wear it all (if not most) of the time but your comment about immediately thinking it a waste of cash was very interesting. Why was this? Money problems making you rethink or that the initial head rush to buy one subsided?
I wear my rolex all the time and wasted cash on a gucci watch that I never wear. My comment on the waste of cash bit is because its just a watch and after you have paid out for one you will think what was the big deal. I bought mine for cash when I was working in the cayman islands as its tax free across there so the watches are much cheaper. I always take mine when I go abroad as well and never worry about when I wear it as I just assume no one will think I have a real rolex but as has been said I knows its real and thats all that matters. Don't forget you will have to start insuring it as well so there is even more costs per year
Old 18 July 2009, 09:23 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by falkster

Erm, Alan will vouch for me here

My favourite designer is Mat Alan, and I drive a Skoda

However, I do appreciate some of the finer things and wouldn't criticise Alan for wanting an old mans watch. He is very old after all

Quick Reply: Rolex Owners - Image