Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Global Warming is a Myth - The Spectator

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2009, 09:09 AM
spider
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Global Warming is a Myth - The Spectator

Interesting article from an Aussie geology professor in the current issue of the Spectator: Relax, it's a myth

Bet Al Gore hates him!
Old 10 July 2009, 09:26 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Some interesting points and he is very Australian direct:

"...Mothers coming up to me with two-year-old children in their arms saying: “Don’t you have any kind of morality? This child’s future is being destroyed.’’’ Plimer’s response to the last one is typically robust. ‘If you’re so concerned, why did you breed?’"

Steve
Old 10 July 2009, 10:17 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Hallelujah!

"‘I’m a natural scientist. I’m out there every day, buried up to my neck in sh**, collecting raw data. And that’s why I’m so sceptical of these models, which have nothing to do with science or empiricism but are about torturing the data till it finally confesses. None of them predicted this current period we’re in of global cooling. There is no problem with global warming. It stopped in 1998. The last two years of global cooling have erased nearly 30 years of temperature increase."
Old 10 July 2009, 11:55 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I like the sound of this guy, I've been saying similar to him for years. Might check out his book.
Old 10 July 2009, 12:16 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Available on Amazon...

Amazon.co.uk: heaven and earth ian plimer
Old 10 July 2009, 01:23 PM
Jamz_
Scooby Regular

We're just coming out of an ice age... earth has done this for many years, and will continue to do so!

I’m sure them volcano's back in the days of dinosaurs would have caused more pollution then cars
Old 10 July 2009, 01:24 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

I agree with Pilmers basic premise, but I don't think he has presented it very well (loads of errors in his book).

Makes him an easy target to discredit.

People are only going to start believing it isn't true long after we are dead, when it became apparent that the world did not, and will not end. (Well, obviously it will one day, but you know what I mean!)

And, if it is true, so what? The Earth has survived a lot worse, several times. Save the Earth is a misnomer, it should be 'Save Ourselves', we do not posess the power to hurt the Earth.

Geezer
Old 10 July 2009, 01:30 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

if the comparatively small cow population of today contributes to global warming

what about the 100 million strong North America Bison herd of yesteryear

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 10 July 2009 at 01:45 PM. Reason: cr4 spelling
Old 10 July 2009, 01:39 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Good post, interesting article ...
Old 10 July 2009, 01:55 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamz_
We're just coming out of an ice age... earth has done this for many years, and will continue to do so!

I’m sure them volcano's back in the days of dinosaurs would have caused more pollution then cars

thought we were over due for an iceage?
Old 10 July 2009, 02:36 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Its worth far too much cash for the politicians to ever agree with that. They do have to get their obscene expenses etc from somewhere after all!

Les
Old 11 July 2009, 11:33 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Old 11 July 2009, 06:31 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Interesting article in the Telegraph talking about something I hadn't known.

"In March, the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), which has a key role in President Obama's plans to curb CO2 emissions, asked one of its senior policy analysts, Alan Carlin, to report on the science used to justify its policy. His 90-page paper recommended that the EPA carry out an independent review of the science, because the CO2 theory was looking indefensible, while the "counter consensus'' view – solar radiation and ocean currents – seemed to fit the data much better. Provoking a considerable stir, Carlin's report was stopped dead, on the grounds that it was too late to raise objections to what was now the EPA's official policy. "

Scientific evidence is ignored but computer model predictions are used to raise taxes. Hmmmmmm.

Climate change: The sun and the oceans do not lie - Telegraph
Old 22 July 2009, 09:33 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is no rock solid evidence that the Earth can't cope with the CO2 we're producing. It's all about money you see...

I honestly think the media and governments are in cahoots. With climate change/global warming, the media have a never-ending source of news, and governments have the ability to rake in billions in 'green' taxes.

Anyone who listens to these arseholes is crazy in my opinion.
Old 22 July 2009, 09:48 PM
darts_aint_sport
Scooby Regular

Didn't realise we had so many scientists here!
Old 22 July 2009, 09:57 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by darts_aint_sport
Didn't realise we had so many scientists here!
The science isn't massively complicated. All the evidence is out there. The computer models used to predict global warming are already discredited after around 5 years. The actual weather does not fit what was predicted in any way.
Old 22 July 2009, 10:22 PM
darts_aint_sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
The science isn't massively complicated. All the evidence is out there. The computer models used to predict global warming are already discredited after around 5 years. The actual weather does not fit what was predicted in any way.
Well I'm sure you can manipulate the evidence to prove either way, which is why this debate is still going on, so I take statistical evidence with a pinch of salt.

It amuses me though to see that as soon as someone has an opinion that happens to coincide with their own point of view it is taken as fact, as seen above.
Old 22 July 2009, 10:31 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Not sure myself how much a geologist is qualified to discuss climate science. He clearly has a political view point more than a scientific one otherwise he would talk about science more and not feel the need to mention economics or politics. I am still unsure about Man made global warming but the majority of scientists seem to believe in it.
The reality is that GW or not we will still need to find a replacement for fossil fuels and the longer and smoother that transition the better it will be.
Old 22 July 2009, 10:40 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well one way or the other i wish it would bring back some decent fecking summers in this country,and then the girls can get back into their summer clothing
Old 23 July 2009, 07:51 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by darts_aint_sport
Well I'm sure you can manipulate the evidence to prove either way, which is why this debate is still going on, so I take statistical evidence with a pinch of salt.

It amuses me though to see that as soon as someone has an opinion that happens to coincide with their own point of view it is taken as fact, as seen above.
Which is why we all need to learn how to interpret evidence for ourselves. I suggest Reading Bad Science by Ben Goldacre. He doesn't talk about climate change but he does talk about how to read media bull**** and academic papers to judge the value of the evidence.

In terms of climate change, intuitively it's more realistic that the primary factor in determining this planets climate is the sun and the strength of solar radiation. I'd accept that over man-made carbon output which is a statistically insignificant amount compared to the background in what is effectively a closed loop system.

Was it Jurrassic Park that says "Nature will find it's balance"?
Old 23 July 2009, 07:56 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
Not sure myself how much a geologist is qualified to discuss climate science. He clearly has a political view point more than a scientific one otherwise he would talk about science more and not feel the need to mention economics or politics. I am still unsure about Man made global warming but the majority of scientists seem to believe in it.
The reality is that GW or not we will still need to find a replacement for fossil fuels and the longer and smoother that transition the better it will be.
He's qualified because the geological record is the only view we have of the climate in the past. Our own recorded weather information only goes back 100 or so years. Beyond that we only have sparse written evidence from older texts and then you're into ice cores, rock cores and fossils.
Old 23 July 2009, 08:17 AM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

Interesting article, well found. I have my doubts about global warming, and tend to believe this ozzy guy. What I find tremendous is the way Austrialians still have the ability to say what they think / feel and not wrapped up in this over PC world we Brits live in.

I wish we still lived in a country where you could say what you feel / think, without being jumped upon, or upsetting some small groups of people.

SBK
Old 23 July 2009, 12:54 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It was reported that the global temperatures were being incorrectly measured initially anyway because the sun was warming the balloon carrying the equipment which was affecting the measurements!

I believe on the face of it that we are being conned.

Les
Old 23 July 2009, 01:06 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Theres load of stuff like that, Les. I read an article about the increasing temperature measurements recorded in some parts of the Nevada desert over the decades being skewed by the heat being generated by the ever increasing Las Vegas
Old 23 July 2009, 02:38 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay m A
Theres load of stuff like that, Les. I read an article about the increasing temperature measurements recorded in some parts of the Nevada desert over the decades being skewed by the heat being generated by the ever increasing Las Vegas
Well its a pretty hot place alright!

Les