Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Real or fake? Mobile phone directory

Search this Thread

Old 08 July 2009, 12:49 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Real or fake? Mobile phone directory

Just been emailed this by a friend... any thoughts?

----- Original Message ----- From:
To:
Sent: Wednesday, July 08, 2009 12:16 PM
Subject: A Mobile Phone Directory is coming

Dear all,

The Directory of Mobile Phone numbers goes live next week.
All numbers including those belonging to children will be open to cold calling and the general abuse that less scrupulous telesales people subject us too..

Maybe you have heard about this but it is true that early next week all UK mobiles will be on a directory which will mean that anyone will be able to access your number.

It is easy to unsubscribe but it must be done before the beginning of next week so if you do not want your mobile number included make sure that you are ex directory. I have already successfully unsubscribed and you may want to suggest it to all your friends and family who have UK mobiles or they could be swamped by unsolicited messages and calls.

Removal was first recommended by the BBC - see link below to check it out for yourself.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/working_lunch/8091621.stm

To remove your number go to the link below, please note you need your mobile phone with you to do this because they text you a code that you have to enter to complete the process.
http://www.118800.co.uk/removeme/remove.html

Click on HOMEPAGE at the bottom of the screen then EXDIRECTORY at the top of the following screen then follow the on screen instructions.

I personally believe my mobile number is private and I should be able to chose who I give it to - I wonder how many of us agreed to this when we signed our mobile phone contracts?

Regards
Trevor
Old 08 July 2009, 01:08 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Made me laugh when all the sheep forwarded this email on, seriously some people shouldnt be allowed near the internet....

Anyone can access your number?
FALSE!

When someone is searching for me on 118800.co.uk, can they see any information about me?

No. All searches on 118800.co.uk are via our secure application that doesn’t show mobile numbers or names and addresses of individuals. Neither do we give prompts that could disclose personal information. We simply say whether we’ve found the individual and, if we have, we forward the enquirer's contact details.
When someone tries to get in touch with me by making a call to 118800, can anyone see my mobile number?

No. Our unique call connection procedure prevents it. Calls to people in our directory are made by us. The dialling is done securely by our system to keep your number safe - even our operators never see the mobile numbers of people in the directory. They are simply informed by our computer system that a connection is available.
Will I get sales calls via 118 800?

We do not sell or pass data to any commercial organisations. So we think it’s unlikely you will receive many sales calls via our service. But we will monitor call patterns for any suspicious activity, investigate complaints thoroughly and de-list anyone we feel is abusing the service.
Old 08 July 2009, 01:16 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

That email sounds like scaremongering.

Anyone not wanting cold calls should register with the Telephone Prefence Service

If you subsequently get a cold call, they soon go away when you mention that you are registered with the TPS and will report them to the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO).
Old 08 July 2009, 01:19 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

The only directory with millions of mobile numbers - 118800

If you need to get hold of someone
and you don't have their number,
we can help.

We do NOT give out mobile phone
numbers, we simply connect people.

Last edited by Boro; 08 July 2009 at 01:20 PM.
Old 08 July 2009, 01:26 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Thread last week.

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...-118800-a.html

I fail to see why you'd want to opt out of a mobile directory. Landlines are different but I can't see a mobile number being a problem if used as the site says.

Anybody that has registered their mobile or is on a contract with an airtime provider has more to worry about where their details are going.

Last edited by Spoon; 08 July 2009 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08 July 2009, 01:33 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

What made me laugh is the same muppets that forwarded that email to me happily post their entire life on facebook
Old 08 July 2009, 01:58 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jaybird-UK
What made me laugh is the same muppets that forwarded that email to me happily post their entire life on facebook
Indeed.

I think they are concerned that should somebody ever ring them they wouldn't know how to speak on a phone.
Old 08 July 2009, 06:42 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaybird-UK

and they do have almost a 1000 friends on FB too