Thumbs up Please explain central differentials to me

as above.

Thanks
Old 07 July 2009, 10:26 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Central Differential Equation that describes nearly all natural phenomena

This is the basic differential equation that applies to a host of natural phenomena where the rate of change is proportional to the value, such as:
• Growth phenomena have positive constants… say 3 children for every pair of adults increases the population by 50% every generation (e.g. growth const = +1/2 per generation)
• Decay phenomena have negative constants… radioactive decay decreases the initial amount by 50% every half life (e.g. decay const = -1/2 per half life).
• The interest rate of a savings account would be a growth constant (e.g. 4% per year), while the interest rate of a loan would be a decay constant (e.g. decreasing the principal by 12% per year).

The common SOLUTION describing all such growth and decay phenomena is the ‘exponential function’ (e.g. the number ‘e’ ~ 2.718281828459045… raised to some power). As the base of the exponential function, ex, this number ‘e’ has the truly remarkable property that the slope of the function at every point is equal to the value of the function [CALCULUS LESSON 1]. In other words…

… which is just what we need to satisfy Eq. 1.1.

Using this property of the exponential function gives us a Specific Solution of the Basic Differential Eq 1.1…

… which applies to exponential decay (1/κ < 0) or exponential growth (1/κ > 0) from an initial value, f0.

Sorry, i am being pert. I am assuming you want the mechanical diff that all subarus have. You question might be better posted in the technical forum instead. They are much more qualified to answer and you won't get people like me trying to be funny.
Old 07 July 2009, 10:30 AM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

I have an understanding of how front anf rear diffs work but I cant get my head round central Diffs.

do Subaru' have a central diff?
Old 07 July 2009, 10:43 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The central diff does exactly the same job as a normal axle diff. It allows the front set of wheels to revolve at a different speed to the rear set of wheels. It effectively creates a power split between front and rear for a 4 wheel drive car as required for driving conditions.

Subaru produce a diff which can be set by the driver to alter the degree of the differential effect on the power split and thus the handling of the car.

Les
Old 07 July 2009, 10:47 AM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
The central diff does exactly the same job as a normal axle diff. It allows the front set of wheels to revolve at a different speed to the rear set of wheels. It effectively creates a power split between front and rear for a 4 wheel drive car as required for driving conditions.

Subaru produce a diff which can be set by the driver to alter the degree of the differential effect on the power split and thus the handling of the car.

Les
ok cool but i cant picture it.

I can picture axle diffs with a 90 degree 'bend' but i cant picture a central diff
Old 07 July 2009, 11:13 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray_li
ok cool but i cant picture it.

I can picture axle diffs with a 90 degree 'bend' but i cant picture a central diff
just turn the picture in your head thru 90 degrees the front and back of the car become the left and right -- the cntre diff then becomes an axle diff

its all here

DIFFLOCK.com - 4x4 Explained
Old 07 July 2009, 12:53 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Thats a very good explanation.

Les
Old 07 July 2009, 01:22 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular