Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Is there life after Virgin Media?

Search this Thread

Old 24 June 2009, 10:25 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is there life after Virgin Media?

Whaaaa help me

Yesterday i decided to end my contract with VM. I have been with cable for about 17 years. I have fallen out with customer services after speaking to a call center with a 5 second delay on the phone.

I have no phone line atm and the soonest they can fix it is 8th July, it broke last week Nearly 3 weeks to fix a phone line is just wrong.

Anyway, i have the full set with VM (telephone, broadband and tv) and my contract ends in September.

My VM bill was around £50 a month. I have never changed services and have no idea whats out there and what its worth. All i keep reading is that VM offer the best deal anywhere.

Can anyone please help me make an informed decision?
Old 24 June 2009, 10:37 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

cant help but im in the same boat with VM, my phone is due back about the 29th of June, that will be a 4 week outage, broadband was down for a while but is back now even though I have no phone.
Old 24 June 2009, 10:40 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 24 June 2009, 10:41 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
cant help but im in the same boat with VM, my phone is due back about the 29th of June, that will be a 4 week outage, broadband was down for a while but is back now even though I have no phone.

I am leaving purely because i can. The customer services is the worst i have had to deal with. But it now looks like i might have foofed up as getting the same will cost me more
Old 24 June 2009, 10:43 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I can't help you with where to go next but I sympathise with regards to dealing with Virgin Media.

A work mate is with Virgin and was 6 months into contract when he moved. OK all good that they allow you to move - not so good that they put you into a new 12 month contract. This happened in June of last year.

He then realised that they had given him the wrong package and called to complain. They put him on the correct package and all is seemingly well.

He rang yesterday to cancel as he and his wife are splitting up and he was under the impression that as it was now June his 12 months were up and they said his contract doesn't end until December 09. They'd restarted his contract when he called to complain about being on the wrong package.

They are truly shocking. Richard Branson should be ashamed of himself for a the level of service his business interests offer. They screwed me when I had my broadband with them. They pi55ed about with the DDM, we agreed over the phone a payment to make up the shortfall due to their ineptitude and then blow me they take more than I agreed and my card gets suspended!!! Not what you want to hear when you hand over your card to pay for your cars service and its declined.

I never got my money back.
Old 24 June 2009, 10:44 AM
OverEasy
BANNED

Location: I am not the user known as SunnySideUp. Apologies for any confusion caused. Hope this is clear.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For broadband they are unfortunately the best there is in this country....

I think your best bet would be to try to cancel and then when their customer retentions department call (when your phone line is back up ) begging you to stay express your dissatisfaction and thrash out the cheapest deal possible for all your current services plus any upgrades you can get thrown in. They will call as losing a regular £50 customer is bad news for them.

Sounds like customer service has gone down the pan since Virgin took over. My phone line packed up when it was Telewest they fixed it next day IIRC. Even then it turns out I was the only person connected to the line card that had packed up as it may have been fixed sooner if other customers had rang to report it as I don't think I noticed for a good few days, don't have many friends
Old 24 June 2009, 10:44 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Why didn't you contact me ?

Trending Topics

Old 24 June 2009, 10:45 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

I don't know why my contract ends in September as i have been with them for years and not changed anything for over 2 years
Old 24 June 2009, 10:46 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
Why didn't you contact me ?

Who?
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

As for since Virgin took over ... its the same people, same trainers .. same everything ..
Jerome
Scooby Regular

I've had Sky+ and have Virgin's V+, and I personally prefer Virgin.

I only have Internet and cable TV with Virgin and haven't had any cause to call their customer services yet. I did spend time on the phone to customer services with Sky though and they can't be much worse than Virgin.

If you were dealing with a former NTL employee at Virgin though, you will have had the rare pleasure in talking to a being one step up from an amoeba.
Old 24 June 2009, 10:47 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sarasquares
Who?
lol you
Old 24 June 2009, 10:47 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jerome

If you were dealing with a former NTL employee at Virgin though, you will have had the rare pleasure in talking to a being one step up from an amoeba.

Old 24 June 2009, 11:04 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Imo anyone who has a problem with VM speak to Pimmo2000 , had a problem ages ago with my broadband not working after 3 days of being told the fault was at their end (no **** sherlock) pm'd him he found out that **** all was being done about it,put a works marker (or something like that) against it and within 24 hours ish my internet was working again.

We all complain about dealing with foreign call centres ,speak to him keep him in a job (alright he may hate it) but at least you get some bloody sense out of him and ,in my case,the problem sorted quickly
Old 24 June 2009, 11:20 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by myblackwrx
Imo anyone who has a problem with VM speak to Pimmo2000 , had a problem ages ago with my broadband not working after 3 days of being told the fault was at their end (no **** sherlock) pm'd him he found out that **** all was being done about it,put a works marker (or something like that) against it and within 24 hours ish my internet was working again.

We all complain about dealing with foreign call centres ,speak to him keep him in a job (alright he may hate it) but at least you get some bloody sense out of him and ,in my case,the problem sorted quickly
I don't remember any of that

I'm away from the call centre life now, but I still work for them and will do my best !!

I've been on pretty much every department so ...
Old 24 June 2009, 12:47 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Twas a long time ago (possibly 1 year+) and i bet you have to deal with quite a few complaints/problems since then
Old 24 June 2009, 12:58 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

i had to ring and moan at them when i renewed my contract, i was playing off sky and virgin to get the best deal, short version was if i went to sky it was free install but had to pay extra for the hd service. and had to sort phone line out with BT at a cost of £125 ) and pay bill to sky and a bill to BT. virgin were gonna charge £30 install but full TV including HD, faster internet and free phone so decided to stay with them.

my bill dulley arrived two months later, a month late, and they had charged me the full £75 install fee. so i rang up and played merry hell, i wrote everything down at the time due to wanting to get the correct info between sky and virgin so all i had to do was look back and see what it said.

to be fair they sorted the error out there and then, but y did they **** it up in the first place??? numpty's
Old 24 June 2009, 01:58 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I had a huge mess up on my account , the buggers didn't take payment for a year.
Old 24 June 2009, 02:05 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

To be fair, I was with BT for my interweb and the service was abysmal. I was paying £30 a month (back in 2006) for a supposed 2mb connection, which was at peak running maybe 0.25-0.30 (done via various speed test sites).

I eventually found that Vigin media had the cables round here, so plumbed for them as there was no way imaginable that they could worse than BT. I was right, since then I've had excellent service. £25 to set up, never bothered with the wireless thing, router is fine, and it was costing me £18 a month for a 2mb connection that was hitting 2mb 99.9% of the time, even in peak hours.

Just have the internets with them now, and was recently posted a letter informing me of the price increase of £2. Ne bother, as the service was good. But for the lower speed connections (and Pimmo will echo this), they were/are upgrading everyone on the 2mb connection to the 10mb connection. I rang up and queried when this would happen, and they did it there and then (about 1-2 months ago) whilst on the phone. So for £2 extra a month, 5x faster internet, which does work 99.9% of the time.

Never had their TV though or phone as I have freeview box and a Southern Electric phone line.

Definitely the best of a bad bunch imo.
Old 24 June 2009, 02:58 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by myblackwrx
Twas a long time ago (possibly 1 year+) and i bet you have to deal with quite a few complaints/problems since then
Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
To be fair, I was with BT for my interweb and the service was abysmal. I was paying £30 a month (back in 2006) for a supposed 2mb connection, which was at peak running maybe 0.25-0.30 (done via various speed test sites).

I eventually found that Vigin media had the cables round here, so plumbed for them as there was no way imaginable that they could worse than BT. I was right, since then I've had excellent service. £25 to set up, never bothered with the wireless thing, router is fine, and it was costing me £18 a month for a 2mb connection that was hitting 2mb 99.9% of the time, even in peak hours.

Just have the internets with them now, and was recently posted a letter informing me of the price increase of £2. Ne bother, as the service was good. But for the lower speed connections (and Pimmo will echo this), they were/are upgrading everyone on the 2mb connection to the 10mb connection. I rang up and queried when this would happen, and they did it there and then (about 1-2 months ago) whilst on the phone. So for £2 extra a month, 5x faster internet, which does work 99.9% of the time.

Never had their TV though or phone as I have freeview box and a Southern Electric phone line.

Definitely the best of a bad bunch imo.
I only deal with faults so its very rare I hear of a good service ..

I have the whole package at home (pay very little ) and its spot on ..

They don't treat staff any different, if you want to be looked after you need to be a business customer or a VIP ..

Saying that any issues or faults, I'd either sort myself or get someone to do it asap ..

A lot of the time its the communication break down when speaking to call centres..

I'm here if anyone has any problems, the only thing I wont do is break DPA, so resetting passwords etc. If you have a problem with your account, internet speed or whatever, I'm more than happy to try and help.

Worst case I'll raise it to the right people and put my name behind it.
Old 24 June 2009, 03:13 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Pimmo you're far too helpful to be working for VM

Old 24 June 2009, 03:19 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

My mate has sky + and we have a v+ box. Maybe I am biased, but the V+ box has by far more to offer then Sky +.
I also have the full package and Shy would never be able to offer us the package we have foe anything close to what we pay.
I would never go to sky.....
Old 24 June 2009, 05:20 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
I've been on pretty much every department so ...
You haven't worked in my department
Old 24 June 2009, 05:28 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paulo P
You haven't worked in my department

I can't work out where you would be from your location ??
Old 24 June 2009, 05:32 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We are a small team but we are based all over the country I'm in OSS
Old 24 June 2009, 05:39 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paulo P
We are a small team but we are based all over the country I'm in OSS

PM ?
Old 25 June 2009, 10:49 AM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Are you based in Knowsley pimmo?
Old 25 June 2009, 12:39 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hanley
Are you based in Knowsley pimmo?

depends on the day of the week ..

I feel like your building a case against me

all I've done is raise a few tickets ...

I'm scared