Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Massive Lottery Win !

Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2009, 12:18 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Massive Lottery Win !

Not me, an old chap in Bolton, nearly 25 million quid, personally I suspect that amount of money and the publicity, could, for a lot of people could cause more problems than it solves.

What do you lot reckon, what would you do with it, I think I would put a few quid away, give most of the rest away, I wouldnt immediately give up work but would try to go on reduced hours as I suspect if I were around all day it would result in divorce within a year , I would probably stay in the same house but do all the jobs, rent a garage to indulge my fiddling (fixing, not some perversion) with cars thing, buy a 911 Turbo, couple of classiscs, go on some nice holidays.

On no account would I go public !
Old 17 June 2009, 12:26 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

At 5% interest, you would be earning £1.25m a year.

You won't need to work

You won't need to stay in your current home

You won't need to do pretty much anything yourself

You won't need to worry about being single

I would on no account go public.
Old 17 June 2009, 12:32 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd go traveling, theirs so much of this planet that I've not seen and would like to, maybe spend a year in different country at a time.
Old 17 June 2009, 12:34 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

I work within a close group of people. All of them would get mortgages paid off, and 100k. Total cost maybe £1.5m.

I'd pop across to Maranello's buy a 599 and drive it to Nice and hand it over to my bro,a long with a cheque for £5m. He'd then drive to me Monaco and I'd have a night in a hotel and then the next morning I'd buy myself another 599 and drive back home.

Then I'd plan the rest of my life.

I would not go public.
Old 17 June 2009, 12:34 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Same here. Keep £10M, don't touch the capital and reinvest enough to keep pace with inflation. The other £15M, set up trust funds for various charities, give some away to friends and family then build my personal car collection in a large converted barn somewhere.
Old 17 June 2009, 12:53 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

I'd spend it on fast cars, drink, drugs and women...... the rest I'd squander.
Old 17 June 2009, 01:02 PM
OverEasy
BANNED

Location: I am not the user known as SunnySideUp. Apologies for any confusion caused. Hope this is clear.

Was that on the Euromillions? If so I don't think you have the option over whether it is publicised or not?

If that were me, on the normal lottery, they'd be no publicity and I already have it planned out. I'd be doing a lot of travel but would also have a nice house in the countryside, few cars, etc. for when I am in the UK. Probably buy properties in a few of my other favourite places, NZ, Italy, etc.
Old 17 June 2009, 01:06 PM
mykp
Scooby Regular

lets just say if I won £25 million. i'd see my family right and the rest of the money wouldnt touch the UK banking system.

and would I go public, no way. Imagine how many letter there now going to get from nutters, charities and other needy people, begging them for money.
Old 17 June 2009, 01:08 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

But Flightman, as soon as you have paid off 10 peoples mortgages and given them £100k each you have gone public! Unless you write non-disclosure clauses into the 'gifts' and enforce them, which wouldn't happen. That many people cannot keep a secret.

Your only hope is not to tell anyone that you have won, then move house and not disclose how you came into the money. This in itself is a massive upheaval beyond what most people are prepared to do.

Perhaps its best to go public, take all the heat in one session, then get on with your life. After all, how many previous lottery winners can you name, or even the area of the country they were from?
Old 17 June 2009, 01:10 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

mykp, employ someone to filter your post.
Old 17 June 2009, 01:26 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

like has been said before, 25m would go a long way. Personally, I'd put 15m away @5% to be on the safe side and guarantee an income for me and my descendents and the other 10m I'd go to town with.

I seriously don't think I'd be able to resist building a massive car collection. Everything from resurecting my old astra gte through a comprehensive collection of group b rally monsters, then I'd set about entering top level drift competitions and probably have an interest in time attack as well.
That aught to keep me out of trouble
Astraboy.
Old 17 June 2009, 01:36 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Agree that the difficult bit would be keeping it quiet. I'd probably stay in my current job - at least for a while - but people would start asking questions about how come I turned up to the office in a GT-R on Mondays, an R8 on Tuesdays, a supercharged Atom on Wednesdays and so on
Old 17 June 2009, 01:46 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When asked a couple of years ago when Tony was still in power my response would have been "Buy myself a peerage".

Sadly now I would take the cash and flee to sunnier climes and greener fields where Gordon can't get his grubby, sweaty hands on my filthy money.
Old 17 June 2009, 01:50 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

The danger is boredom.

What would you do? When I can't think of anything to do with my time in the mornings I often find myself chuckling at those less fortunate idiots on Jeremy Kyle. I would put a large sum of my winnings that at some point I would find myself wondering what to do and end up watching KJ safe in the knowledge that the gap between them and me as increased just that little bit more.

Old 17 June 2009, 02:00 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Wouldnt it be wiser to bank the lot and buy stuff on credit, rather than eat into your millions?
Old 17 June 2009, 02:29 PM
spider
Scooby Regular

Don't know how you could be bored - this is a big planet, with lots of places to see and things to experience?

I bet one of the hardest things is "keeping it real" with existing friends. A bit difficult to keep in touch if they're still doing the 9-5 and worrying about the mortgage and you're just back from a trip to the rain forests and planning the Orient Express trip.

Wouldn't go public.

Steve
Old 17 June 2009, 02:37 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by spider
Don't know how you could be bored - this is a big planet, with lots of places to see and things to experience?

I bet one of the hardest things is "keeping it real" with existing friends. A bit difficult to keep in touch if they're still doing the 9-5 and worrying about the mortgage and you're just back from a trip to the rain forests and planning the Orient Express trip.

Wouldn't go public.

Steve
This is partly what I mean. I'm not saying there wouldn't be a million and one things to do I can just see me thinking "what the heck am I going to do today?"

With regards to spending. Investing the lot and skimming the interest, you would be hard pushed to eat into the capital. Buy the house and the cars by all means but even with 20m left afterwards the interest would keep you going forever.

I certainly wouldn't want to be one of these idiots that win the lottery, blow it all on F all and then go back on the social. Do you remember the couple a few years back? On the sick, win the lottery, spend the lot, back on the sick.

Last edited by EddScott; 17 June 2009 at 02:38 PM.
Old 17 June 2009, 02:42 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

hate people that show off their win by going on the news.
Old 17 June 2009, 02:43 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nat21
No way!

Spend, spend spend

My boat would cost £10M anyway...
you'd certainly be broke within you 5-10 years with a £10million boat, I was told it costs 10% of the value of said boat just to run it
Old 17 June 2009, 02:47 PM
Jamz_
Scooby Regular

If it was me, i would just keep it to myself... maybe buy some friends a nice car and thts bout it...
Old 17 June 2009, 02:50 PM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

I'd buy Carlos Tevez!

And then make him do my garden or something.
Old 17 June 2009, 02:52 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Be far cheaper to charter one whenever you needed it rather than buy your own.
Old 17 June 2009, 03:18 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

I'd sort some family out - £5m

I'd buy a nice house over here, Spain, USA and Thailand - £5m

Lamborghini Gallardo for the missus (in Orange she says) - £150k

Ferrari California for me - £180k

See the world, build my car collection, build a go-kart track in my garden and haves races with my mates.

Maybe buy a boat

Buy the place I used to work at and fire the boss and make the cleaner the new MD

Last edited by mamoon2; 17 June 2009 at 03:19 PM.
Old 17 June 2009, 03:19 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

We've been talkign about this in work recently.

None of us would go public.

The 2 single males (myself and 1 other) both said we'd buy houses and renovate them to high standards inc pre patch wiring etc etc, basically getting houses we were happy living in for a while, before sellign up and building houses. Get the car collection off and running, pay off debts. The normal things.

I'd give each parent 500k to blow with orders of I don't want to inherite it back.

I'd invest 10 - 15m so I'd never have to work again, but........

We all said we'd have to keep working at something. Both the colleague and I are both the kind of people that has to have ongoing projects to work on.
Old 17 June 2009, 03:37 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mamoon2
I'd sort some family out - £5m

I'd buy a nice house over here, Spain, USA and Thailand - £5m

Lamborghini Gallardo for the missus (in Orange she says) - £150k

Ferrari California for me - £180k

See the world, build my car collection, build a go-kart track in my garden and haves races with my mates.

Maybe buy a boat

Buy the place I used to work at and fire the boss and make the cleaner the new MD
I'm sure you could hire a hitman for far less than 5mil.
Old 17 June 2009, 03:51 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

The thing about going public is all the people who know you (the public will soon forget about you as mentioned) know exactly how much you have won.

Your family (and often friends) often expect big gifts etc and whatever amount you decide to give them may well cause ill feeling. There are support groups in the US because they had so many big winners over there who have had these sorts of problems.

Best to leave it a few weeks/months - as long as you can hold off - before telling them you won one of the lotteries. Don't ever tell them how much you've won. It could be £1M or £25M.

The guy who won this £25M just wants to grow carrots FFS. Why did he buy a ticket if he's hardly going to do anything with the money?

Because of his age, 40 or 50% will probably go to the taxman in death duties - even if he give the lot away and then dies within 7 years.

Me bitter and twisted with envy? No, not at all...
Old 17 June 2009, 03:57 PM
BIG FUD
Scooby Regular

I would love to keep a childrens hospitall running with the interest or kids with learning difficulties.

Once this was up and running i think that i would be at peace with god and society,The rest is not so important cars, houses, boats, hollidays, i can do all that now oviously not in such a big way but i believe more wants more and you will always be looking for that next best thing ...

Lets say now you have a 2-3-4 bed house, a decent job, a Healthy family and of course a subaru Surely this is more than enough for 1 man to be happy with but like me, most of us take it all for granted GREEEEED is the devil..

Sorry for speach lol

Last edited by BIG FUD; 17 June 2009 at 04:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Massive Lottery Win !