Housing benefit

Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2009, 10:41 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Housing benefit

Do you actually have to be unemployed to be entitled to housing benefit? or you you entitled to a percentage if you are on a low income.

Things are dire at work at the minute, and that coupled with £160 a month payments to the csa are leaving me having to dip into my savings each month at the minute.

I don't want to go to the citizens advice bureau and seem like a scab, but after reading on the front page of the Cornish guardian yesterday how the council have found a homeless tramp who has been living in the woods a nice private house to live in. Why should I have to **** my house deposit savings down the drain.
Old 17 June 2009, 10:52 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kingofturds
Do you actually have to be unemployed to be entitled to housing benefit? or you you entitled to a percentage if you are on a low income.

Things are dire at work at the minute, and that coupled with £160 a month payments to the csa are leaving me having to dip into my savings each month at the minute.

I don't want to go to the citizens advice bureau and seem like a scab, but after reading on the front page of the Cornish guardian yesterday how the council have found a homeless tramp who has been living in the woods a nice private house to live in. Why should I have to **** my house deposit savings down the drain.
From my experience having savings in a situation like this kicks you in the ***** mate. When signing on originally over the phone, I was aksed if I had savings of over £16k - I had nothing as I never had spare money to save. But if you do, I believe you are required to use them up and recieve only partial benefit. thats how it works for the dole anywho.

Re housing benefit, again I don't come close. The governments statistics say if you have no kids at all (not sure about kids but not living in your home), then you are expected to live on £95 a week. This includes all bills, mortgage/rent, and food clothing for yourself. Thats what I have been catagorically told by 2 welfare officers at the CAB.

To explain my situation, Mrs earns just shy of £200 a week and works full time (38 hours) for that. As she lives with me and I recieve £50.95 a week JSA, we are entitled to no help with regards income support/housing benefit. We have no savings as mentioned above.

Now if you live alone and are on under £95 a week, then after 13 weeks I believe you can put in a claim. When me and the Mrs came close to breaking up earlier this year, I looked into it, but we ended up making up.

The savings thing is one rule which does **** me off, so I can't really suggest any formal help other than mingle with scabs and pondlife like me and pop to the CAB for some advice.
Old 17 June 2009, 11:02 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I have my son 2 nights a week so I don't know how that would affect things, The csa are meant to take that into account but it's like talking to a brick wall with those asses.

Last edited by kingofturds; 17 June 2009 at 12:40 PM.
Old 17 June 2009, 11:03 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

'Give' your savings to your mum then claim?
It p1sses me off that cause you've worked hard, built up a small bit of savings then get made redundant or similar you're expected to use up your savings to live on rather than the benefits your tax and NI payments have gone towards just because you've been careful with your money rather than spend every last bit of it
Old 17 June 2009, 11:06 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

I have my son 2 nights a week so I don't know how that would affect things, The csa are meant to take that into account but it's like talking to a brick wall with those asses.
Not wanting to go into too many details but I'm wondering if I was to end up living on my own what I'd be entitled to as there is no way I could afford the rent on the wages I'm earning at the minute.
As said, unless there is some magic rule for over 25 single men, I think you will struggle.

Do you qualify for either working tax credits or family tax credits? When I start my apprenticeship in Sept, I'll be on £500 a month but will be 25 by then. Think I may be entitled to another £2200ish a year in credits which will make a difference. Having kids that stay at yours on a regular basis should change things, as the CSA should have some sort of responsibility. I dunno, again its a CAB thing I think.
Old 17 June 2009, 11:07 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I've heard that they can check your accounts to see if you have recently transfered money?

I'm not redundundant neanderthal but I would be better off if I were atm. I'm on about £800 a month less than I was this time last year
Old 17 June 2009, 11:11 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
As said, unless there is some magic rule for over 25 single men, I think you will struggle.

Do you qualify for either working tax credits or family tax credits? When I start my apprenticeship in Sept, I'll be on £500 a month but will be 25 by then. Think I may be entitled to another £2200ish a year in credits which will make a difference. Having kids that stay at yours on a regular basis should change things, as the CSA should have some sort of responsibility. I dunno, again its a CAB thing I think.

Again it's getting the people in charge to acknowledge I have my son 2 nights a week, me and the ex are not exactly best of friends but I'll think i'll take a visit to the cab

On the way I may visit the bank and put everything I have on red at ladbrokes
Old 17 June 2009, 11:15 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Again it's getting the people in charge to acknowledge I have my son 2 nights a week, me and the ex are not exactly best of friends but I'll think i'll take a visit to the cab

On the way I may visit the bank and put everything I have on red at ladbrokes
I do think that should be your first port of call. Very few on here have (or admit to) being on benefits as it's a dirty word, so the advice may be wandered.

Best of luck and if I can offer any more advice, pm me and keep it off the boards
Old 17 June 2009, 11:16 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I might be wrong, but you need your ex to agree that you have your son at least 3 nights a week. I'm sure I heard my wife talking to one of her friends who said she had to tell the social that her ex was having the kids for so many days and they would give him a house too. I'm sure it was 3+ though.

Pity your not female. Get yourself knocked up and its easy street
Old 17 June 2009, 11:20 AM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

I've heard that they can check your accounts to see if you have recently transfered money?

I'm not redundundant neanderthal but I would be better off if I were atm. I'm on about £800 a month less than I was this time last year

Take half out in cash, put in mums bank account, when asked where the money went, tell them 2 high class hookers and a suitcase full of snow, they may not like the answer, but they cant do anything about it!
Old 17 June 2009, 11:23 AM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
I might be wrong, but you need your ex to agree that you have your son at least 3 nights a week. I'm sure I heard my wife talking to one of her friends who said she had to tell the social that her ex was having the kids for so many days and they would give him a house too. I'm sure it was 3+ though.

Pity your not female. Get yourself knocked up and its easy street
Or a ******* Latvian.

My missus dads mates have just been given a house, they are latvian, have been told to leave the country once but have come back and the two parents and 22 year old kid have just been given a 3 bed semi with a nice garden, they are all on the dole now, and the mum get incapacity benefit!

Maybe this is why you cant get anything off your own government, the eu make us give it all to latvians with no intention of ever working!
Old 17 June 2009, 01:14 PM
austinwrx
Scooby Regular

Some of us Latvians have worked every day of our lives. I also suspect paying 40% tax I'm paying more into the system than you !

Funnily enough I suspect my parents with 50 yrs of work behind them have too--- esp seeing at 70 something they still run their own business and keep the economy turning over through employment of staff etc.

still not all are the same- bit like the 8 million greggs pasty eating single mother scum on income support eh ? vast amounts of the great english unwashed don't bother working for a living !

Still I have absolutely no time for anyone on benefit- except proven disability or elderly- no reason whatsoever a person cannot find a job. Also as far as I'm concerned, yes travel- emmigrate etc- but work when you are there.
Old 17 June 2009, 01:32 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Easy tiger!

My missus was born in poland but has latvian roots, and i KNOW this family have NO intention of working at all, they reckon they can save enough on benefits in 15 years to buy a house in riga, then **** off back there to live, and the uk governmnet just let it happen, they are in the house now!

And im struggling to save enough to buy a nice place in an area less desirable than where they have just been "placed"!

We are paying for them to live here and buying them a house back home as well FFS!

My missus knows how much it pisses me off and keeps the 22 year old away from me, as he keeps bragging about not having to work (60 quid a week is alot to him, he thinks primark is selfridges), and he wants to bring some mates over here, which pisses me off even more!

Im not saying your all like that, eastern europeans have the best work ethic going to be fair, but this does take the ****, no two ways about it!
Old 17 June 2009, 04:13 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8WRX
they may not like the answer, but they cant do anything about it!
Unless things have changed since I worked there then they can do something about it - refuse to pay any benefits on the grounds you have depleted savings purely to make a claim.
Old 17 June 2009, 04:30 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

very hard to prove, but i take your point!
Old 17 June 2009, 04:59 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by austinwrx

Snip
So your a Latvian Yorkshireman?

Old 17 June 2009, 11:34 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by austinwrx

Still I have absolutely no time for anyone on benefit- except proven disability or elderly- no reason whatsoever a person cannot find a job. Also as far as I'm concerned, yes travel- emmigrate etc- but work when you are there.
Until you have been there, done that and got the t-shirt, don't make pathetic comments like the above you fool.