The Iraq Enquiry

Search this Thread

Old 16 June 2009, 08:52 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default The Iraq Enquiry

Apparently to have an “open” enquiry it has to be held in secret

It reminds me of the American Major who, (Zippo in hand) during the Vietnam War, said of a village “to save it we have to destroy it” – and destroy it he did

its Orwellian doublespeak

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 16 June 2009 at 10:05 PM. Reason: schoolboy spelling mistake
Old 16 June 2009, 08:54 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some will need to be in secret - but I'm sure most can be in the public domain.
Old 16 June 2009, 09:18 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp
Some will need to be in secret - but I'm sure most can be in the public domain.
Aye, the bits that'll have to be in secret will be the bits where Bliar and Sh*t Brown lied to send out kids to die in an illegal war, while NOT being able to afford to send them to university.....unlike our friends the sweaties

Bliar: that's your legacy, like it or not
Old 16 June 2009, 10:37 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

The key element is what Blair agreed with Bush before Blair reported to parliament. But fat chance of ever learning that.

Interesting the enquiry is about a war but there is no military man on the panel.........

dl
Old 17 June 2009, 08:27 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by hutton_d

What we need is to learn the lessons of the c*ck-up that was the occupation of Iraq.

Dave

And, perhaps, come to realise that we are wasting our time, money and good men in Afghanistan. It might just dawn on the government that shooting the Taliban doesn't achieve anything. A bit like scratching an ant's nest - there are hundreds more ready to come out and fight.

dl
Old 17 June 2009, 10:08 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
And, perhaps, come to realise that we are wasting our time, money and good men in Afghanistan. It might just dawn on the government that shooting the Taliban doesn't achieve anything. A bit like scratching an ant's nest - there are hundreds more ready to come out and fight.

dl
DL, what should we be doing with the Taliban then?
Old 17 June 2009, 10:27 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It will be a whitewash, just some bs to try and win some votes
Old 17 June 2009, 10:28 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Afghanistan is the graveyard of empires

It’s taken the US military 10 whole years to realise that the absurd level of civilian casualties is counter productive

the lesson history teaches us is that we rarely learn any lesson from the past
Old 17 June 2009, 11:12 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Why the f*%^ should we have to do anything?

Dave
Do you not remember 9-11?

Speaking of not learning the lessons of (very recent) history
Old 17 June 2009, 11:18 AM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin2005
DL, what should we be doing with the Taliban then?
So you are saying we should be fighting the Taliban? What makes me laugh is that the US and UK walk into another persons country and then start blowing people up and then when they defend the country they get captured sent to jail and are accused of fighting the US/UK forces.......

If some other Army walked into the UK would the army fight them or just walk away?
Old 17 June 2009, 11:24 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Seems to me to be yet another "eye catching NL initiative" to try to detract attention from the total horlicks they have made of failing to run this country in any manner which might have been advantageous to the people!

It all sounds good and may even lokk good on paper as they say, but from all practical sides it will be a complete waste of time and money from the point of view of discovering the real truth of the whole affair.

I see thay have carefully selected people on the enquiry who are already sympathetic to the NL cause anyway, and of course holding it in secret will make it considerably easier for the end result to be just what they want, like the other ones of course!

Luckily they have been castigated for this proposal by some fairly influential people so we can easily see it for what it really is.

Les
Old 17 June 2009, 11:25 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mrtheedge2u2
So you are saying we should be fighting the Taliban? What makes me laugh is that the US and UK walk into another persons country and then start blowing people up and then when they defend the country they get captured sent to jail and are accused of fighting the US/UK forces.......

If some other Army walked into the UK would the army fight them or just walk away?
Yes absolutely we should be fighting the Taliban, I cannot think of a more just cause.

If our values mean anything then standing up to the Taliban is the only thing to do.

Remember your average Afganistani doesn't want a return to the dark days of Taliban rule, they want the NATO mission to succeed.

The people you refer to as fighting us are most certainly NOT defending their country, they are largely not from Afganistan, what they are defending is oppression and intollerance. The consequences of failure in Afganistan are dire for the people of that country as well as us in the West
Old 17 June 2009, 11:27 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Afghanistan is the graveyard of empires
A poignant lesson from our history that we have forgotton:

Retreat from Kabul

The Massacre of Elphinstone's Army was a victory of Afghan forces, led by Akbar Khan, the son of Dost Mohammad Khan, over a combined British and British Raj force, led by William Elphinstone, in January 1842. After the British troops captured Kabul in 1839, an Afghan uprising forced the occupying garrison out of the city. The British army, consisting of 4,500 troops and 12,000 working personnel or camp-followers, left Kabul on January 6, 1842. They attempted to reach the British garrison at Jalalabad, 90 miles away, but were immediately harassed by Afghan forces. The last remnants were eventually annihilated near Gandamak on January 13. Only one man, the assistant surgeon William Brydon, survived and managed to reach Jalalabad.

I remember being told as the story goes, when asked "Where is the army?" Bydon replied, "I am the army"
Old 17 June 2009, 11:30 AM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
Yes absolutely we should be fighting the Taliban, I cannot think of a more just cause.

If our values mean anything then standing up to the Taliban is the only thing to do.

Remember your average Afganistani doesn't want a return to the dark days of Taliban rule, they want the NATO mission to succeed.

The people you refer to as fighting us are most certainly NOT defending their country, they are largely not from Afganistan, what they are defending is oppression and intollerance. The consequences of failure in Afganistan are dire for the people of that country as well as us in the West
Martin, UK / US goverments do not agree with a massive portion of the way other countries are run and vice versa... should we be fighting them also?
Old 17 June 2009, 11:46 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Martin, UK / US goverments do not agree with a massive portion of the way other countries are run and vice versa... should we be fighting them also?
I think you miss the point.

This 'massive proportion' of government to which you refer, how many of those are a threat to our security?

It's also worth remembering that the Taliban ae NOT the government in Afganistan, that will only happen if we pull out!!

Last edited by Martin2005; 17 June 2009 at 11:47 AM.
Old 17 June 2009, 12:51 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

I can think of a damn sight more useful things to be doing with our own country. Let the Taliban screw their own country up. As I said, WHY should WE be fighting them?

You mention 9/11 - a bunch of Saudis wasn't it? Should we invade Saudi Arabia? Oh, guess what? They have oil ........

Dave
This is either a wind-up or a demonstration of unbelievable ignorance and/or naivety

I'm not ever going to bother correcting this because I suspect it's a wind-up
Old 17 June 2009, 01:02 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Please tell the rest of us ignorant folk WHY it's a wind-up? I was under the impression it WAS Saudis, led by a Saudi? (Bin Laden).
Old 17 June 2009, 01:12 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Unbelievable!!!

Was the Saudi government involved in the plot?
Did they train in Saudi?
Did the Saudi Goverment shelter Bin Laden?

I think you'll find the answer to all these question is no.

It was the TALIBAN in AFGANISTAN

So the point about attacking Saudi is just about as dumb as you can get, unless you believe that we should hold the government of Saudi Arabia responsible for the actions of a few of its citzens, and yet somehow ignore the Taliban who sheltered, helped train and finally refused to hand over the terrorists

Good enough?
Old 17 June 2009, 01:39 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Did the Afghan government support them..... No
Did the USA train Bin Laden in first place ..... yes
Old 17 June 2009, 01:44 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Did the Afghan government support them..... No
Did the USA train Bin Laden in first place ..... yes
Actually the answer to both those questions is YES
Old 17 June 2009, 02:03 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

What to correct? Let's see ... USATODAY.com - Official: 15 of 19 Sept. 11 hijackers were Saudi

"... RIYADH, Saudi Arabia (AP) — Saudi Arabia acknowledged for the first time that 15 of the Sept. 11 suicide hijackers were Saudi citizens, but said Wednesday that the oil-rich kingdom bears no responsibility for their actions. Previously, Saudi Arabia had said the citizenship of 15 of the 19 hijackers was in doubt despite U.S. insistence they were Saudis. But Interior Minister Prince Nayef told The Associated Press that Saudi leaders were shocked to learn 15 of the hijackers were from Saudi Arabia.
"The names that we got confirmed that," Nayef said in an interview. "Their families have been notified." ..."

And ... Hijackers in the September 11 attacks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(as it's Wikipedia I'm sure you can argue over a couple of details but ...) ..

"... American Airlines Flight 11 Hijackers: Mohamed Atta al Sayed (Egyptian), Waleed al-Shehri (Saudi Arabian), Wail al-Shehri (Saudi Arabian), Abdulaziz al-Omari (Saudi Arabian), Satam al-Suqami (Saudi Arabian) ....

United Airlines Flight 175

A United Airlines mechanic was called by a flight attendant who stated the crew had been murdered and the plane hijacked.[7]
Hijackers: Marwan al-Shehhi (from the United Arab Emirates), Fayez Banihammad (from the United Arab Emirates), Mohand al-Shehri (Saudi Arabian), Hamza al-Ghamdi (Saudi Arabian), Ahmed al-Ghamdi (Saudi Arabian) ....

American Airlines Flight 77

Hijackers: Hani Hanjour (Saudi Arabian), Khalid al-Mihdhar (Saudi Arabian), Majed Moqed (Saudi Arabian), Nawaf al-Hazmi (Saudi Arabian), Salem al-Hazmi (Saudi Arabian) ...

United Airlines Flight 93

Hijackers: Ziad Jarrah (Lebanese), Ahmed al-Haznawi (Saudi Arabian), Ahmed al-Nami (Saudi Arabian), Saeed al-Ghamdi (Saudi Arabian) ....."

Oh look, they're mostly Saudis .....

So, which part of my post was 'incorrect'???

Dave
Dave is that the best you can do, find a load of links pointing to an undisputed fact?

The fact that they were Saudis hardly makes the attacks on 9-11 an attack by Saudi Arabia does it?

In fact Bin Laden and his cohorts were sworn enermies of the Saudi Government

So in short I'm still not sure what your point is - unless this is just your usual arguing day is night

Last edited by Martin2005; 17 June 2009 at 02:06 PM.
Old 17 June 2009, 02:14 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
I see thay have carefully selected people on the enquiry who are already sympathetic to the NL cause anyway, and of course holding it in secret will make it considerably easier for the end result to be just what they want, like the other ones of course!

(
"sensible" people never ask a question that they don't already have the answer too
Old 17 June 2009, 02:17 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Martin2005 - So you're saying that by not fighting the Taliban in Afghanistan, it would allow them to become more organised, meaning they would pose more of a threat to our national security?

What's wrong with just increasing the country's security in that case to prevent them ever being able to affect the UK?
Old 17 June 2009, 02:23 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss
Martin2005 - So you're saying that by not fighting the Taliban in Afghanistan, it would allow them to become more organised, meaning they would pose more of a threat to our national security?

What's wrong with just increasing the country's security in that case to prevent them ever being able to affect the UK?
Well I guess, but it depends upon how much of your civil liberties you are prepared to give up to protect this countries security from an asymmetric threat like Al Queda
Old 17 June 2009, 06:25 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Geez. Why don't you read what is posted? Here is what I said:

I never said that SA was responsible - merely that the hi-jackers were mostly Saudis .... slight difference.

But we should still get the hell out of Afghanistan and let the Taiban sort themselves out.

Dave
Even on a purely selfish level this is a counter-productive strategy. The lessons of 9-11 are not to allow failed states become safe havens for terrorist organisations..which Afganistan surely would if the Taliban were to be allowed to take power back.

On a more moral and ethical level, we should never allow these people and their appalling oppression back to persectute, women and non conformers, that would be a national shame for us.

Finally we are part of NATO and this is a NATO operation, are you suggesting leaving the alliance.

Quick Reply: The Iraq Enquiry