Electoral reform, my proposal

Search this Thread

Old 10 June 2009, 01:23 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Electoral reform, my proposal

The problems:

First past the post (FPP) voting gives some parties less seats than the proportion of votes cast for them, this is considered by some to be unfair. However, I am a fan of FPP

The problem with proportional representation as I see it is that a third party would always hold the balance of power. Therefore the Conservatives and Labour cannot push through their agenda because they must satisfy the Lib Dems to gain sufficient votes to get new legislation approved. Thus every new policy has an orange tinge to it. A strong Government (within reason) is good.

The other problem is that the party in power knows that it is safe for 5 years, and can implement unpopular decisions at the beginning of its term. However, later on they look increasingly to preserve their jobs by introducing short term measures to bolster their own vote at the next GE, while also attempting to sabotage the country so that if the other side wins, they will have to take the blame.

My proposal is that instead of a general election every 5 years, MPs must stand for re-election on a rolling basis. For example every year 20% of constituencies are nominated for election. These could be randomly selected, or selected in proportion to the number of MPs that each party has in Government, or by some other method.

Thus the makeup of the Government could change annually, but only by <20% by number of seats. Any MP might only be in power for a year, thus cannot tailor their voting to distort policies as a GE approaches. A Government that is performing well should be able to maintain its share of the vote on an annual basis. One that performs badly would be punished within a year, but then have the opportunity to turn things around before the next annual round of voting.

Apart from a constant steam of Party Election broadcasts , can anyone see any other problems? (I accept that random selection could distort the make up of Parliament, but this should even out over the years, and be no worse than external factors that can affect elections held only every 5 years.)

Comments?