Search this Thread

Old 22 May 2009, 11:53 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UK - a police state really is on its way

This is getting quiet sinister now.

BBC NEWS | Programmes | Who's Watching You? | Camera grid to log number plates

Where will this end? Quite worrying really!!
Old 23 May 2009, 12:29 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

I posted about this nearly two years ago when funding was first announced - youve got the EU directive on road charging still to come as well - the future is grim.
Old 23 May 2009, 01:46 AM
Woosh!
Scooby Regular

Location: Never out of the sh*t, it's only the depth that varies

George Orwell wasn't wrong (ok he was by the year 1984)

But BIG BROTHER IS INDEED WATCHING YOU!

Most CCTV's in the world!
Most Speed Cameras in the world!
Most APNR Cameras in the world!

Next the road charges as warrenm2 says!

The MP's expences cost us £93 million last year. Thats £143,953.17p average each

Someones got to pay for it all. The bail out of the banks, 3 million un-employed and the promise of retraining, the Olympics etc, etc, etc

That'll be you and me then
Old 23 May 2009, 08:33 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

The UK was always seen as a free country, sadly we are no longer a democracy in truth. The future is indeed grim. It will end up being worse than East Germany and the Stasi, worse than Russia with all its informers.
We already have children being asked to spy and report neighbours to the police and councils, we already have a huge data base society.
Old 23 May 2009, 08:37 AM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

....we had a system that did this in Northern Ireland years ago; in fact, ANPR was developed from the same technology.

While I understand peoples concerns; it is a massively useful system for the detection of crime and assists massively to ensure prosecutions are successful. The man in Ipswich who killed the prostitutes had significant bits of his defence negated by this type of technology. I think anyone would struggle to say that's a bad thing. Plus, if my car is nicked, with any luck it would help them find it a bit quicker!
Old 23 May 2009, 08:43 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

There was a report recently that said the cctv cameras dont actually stop crime and help to solve very little. Similar to the DNA data base, there have been a few high profile cases, but until we are all on it the police and labour wont be happy.

Did you know that Tony Blairs vision for the future was to have every one micro chipped?
Old 23 May 2009, 08:47 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Prasius
....we had a system that did this in Northern Ireland years ago; in fact, ANPR was developed from the same technology.

While I understand peoples concerns; it is a massively useful system for the detection of crime and assists massively to ensure prosecutions are successful. The man in Ipswich who killed the prostitutes had significant bits of his defence negated by this type of technology. I think anyone would struggle to say that's a bad thing. Plus, if my car is nicked, with any luck it would help them find it a bit quicker!
Think what it is with people who live in the UK is we don't trust the Goverment or the Law and so on etc,So when they introduce a system such as this we automatically think it's some kind of scam or it will be used for the wrong reasons.Typical example is speed cameras ££££ ka ching...

Trending Topics

Old 23 May 2009, 08:48 AM
Nurse Gladys
Scooby Regular

Location: Daily drive is a Scoob again - just what it should be!

I can see that in the case of crime / abduction etc this could be useful, but there is also a huge scope for abuse too.

This country is going down hill fast...........................will the last one out turn the light out.
Old 23 May 2009, 08:54 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scooby Blue WRX
I can see that in the case of crime / abduction etc this could be useful, but there is also a huge scope for abuse too.

This country is going down hill fast...........................will the last one out turn the light out.

Me Speaky No English
Old 23 May 2009, 10:43 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Its a real worry. We have seen all this type of technology being put in place since this lot took power. They do indeed want full information on everyone in the country and it is difficult not to believe it is not leading to a totalitarian state where we are restricted in everything we do or where we want to go. I can still rtemember when they tried to get authority for an MP to section someone and get them stuffed into an asylum! luckily that one was killed off.

I wonder how long it would be before we get the two way screen in our houses which of course we would have to pay for!

Les
Old 23 May 2009, 11:06 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Yes the system itself is not what I have an issue with. It's the people that are controlling it and what they will do with it that worries me.

In the link above the example is given of it being used to apprehend and question under the anti-terrorism act a serial protestor. Unless we don't have the full story then this is not what this technology should be used for and that is my issue here.
Old 23 May 2009, 11:28 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I agree; It is a fantastic tool for outing criminals. Be it untaxed/uninsure/non-MOT'd car to tracking criminals (and their associates) whereabouts and collaborating alibis to confirm the truth of any statements given.

In this age where lack of government control has allowed too many criminally minded and corrupt individuals a free reign to upset, cause dysfunction and disadvantage the law abiding citizens, safe in the knowledge that they can operate "under the radar" and continue their criminal activities, we need a system that can track them. These days a persons idendity is their key to their background, and there is too litttle control on preventing an individual assuming whatever identity they want. This brings us back to the national ID system, whilst I belive its needed, the way the goverenment proposed to introduce it and the ease of faking IDs meant there was little point; We do need national iris recognition or DNA databases; thing is I won't trust the people who hold the information (minority report, gattaca etc), and that issue trickles onto ANPR data logging.

With ANPR however, I belive the data stored needs to be held by an independant, publically funded body, of which a formal warrant is required to look up infomation on a person's (or their cars) whereabouts and tavelling habits, giving good reason that they are under suspicion of a crime. Obviously release of info on illegal cars will be instant (i.e no tax/mot etc), but I belive a warrant on a individual must be required to access data on people in legal cars going about their daily business.

We cannot have police arresting Joe Public on a whim just becuase ANPR said his number plate was on a car used in a robbery on the otherside of the country 30mins ago, because the car used had a cloned plate. Police need a secondary form of evidence to sustantiate the ANPR claim and regulations need to be put in place to ensure this.

And the government should not be allowed access either; the only info that can have is number of vehicles travelling to/from which areas at what times. No data that can identify an individual should be allowed to be passed on to the government. They already have camera and inductive counting systems that do this anyway.

Anyone leaking info on law abiding citizens will be prosecuted under the official secrets act. And this act should be very strictly enforced; not like the leaky sieve that is our current bunch of civil servants. Any individual or department responsible for breaches of information about private information about private law abiding individuals should go to jail.

(However "public interest" clauses on morally deficient politicians does cause complications )
Old 23 May 2009, 11:50 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by hutton_d
If the police want to catch criminals then they should get off their f%t ***** and get out on the streets.

Dave
We are out and about on the streets, problem is the criminals out number us and they have more rights and entitlements than you would believe.

People live in this fantasy world that the police know who is committing all the crimes and we know where they live
Old 24 May 2009, 11:13 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Ah yes, the old two-way screen ....

WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Dave
On the nose Dave, bit like cold weather all being down to Global Warming!

Les
Old 24 May 2009, 11:33 AM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Leslie
Its a real worry. We have seen all this type of technology being put in place since this lot took power. They do indeed want full information on everyone in the country and it is difficult not to believe it is not leading to a totalitarian state where we are restricted in everything we do or where we want to go. I can still rtemember when they tried to get authority for an MP to section someone and get them stuffed into an asylum! luckily that one was killed off.

I wonder how long it would be before we get the two way screen in our houses which of course we would have to pay for!

Les
That's the thing! This government seem to think that they have the right to know what everyone is doing at all times - they shouldn't. Why should you and I be watched as if we are criminals?

We all have the right to out own truly private lives. I am going to do everything I can to make sure as much of my life as possible is not known to these creeps. It can at least be made difficult for them.
Old 24 May 2009, 03:03 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TerzoAlan
That's the thing! This government seem to think that they have the right to know what everyone is doing at all times - they shouldn't. Why should you and I be watched as if we are criminals?

We all have the right to out own truly private lives. I am going to do everything I can to make sure as much of my life as possible is not known to these creeps. It can at least be made difficult for them.
I agree and everyone has the right to a private life.

Just bare in mind the next time you are a victim of crime, the criminal will have the same rights as well - not being on the DNA database, fingerprints not recorded, CCTV only allowed in certain places.... etc etc
Old 24 May 2009, 09:46 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

"Power is not a means, it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship."

I re-read it last year

one of the finest books of the last century -- extraordinarily prescient
Old 25 May 2009, 12:18 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss

Quite right, and remind me to take two paces backwards if you ever get annoyed!

Les
Old 31 May 2009, 11:44 AM
seinet
Scooby Newbie

time for an upriseing. the people of the uk always bend over and take it. truth is we all love to complain but we never get of are **** to do something about it. we expect someone to do that for us. about time we destroyed there foolish plans
Old 31 May 2009, 12:00 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Thats the thing, we (the british public) have no-one else to blame for being shafted every 5mins by the government. Honestly, when was the last time you went on a demo to stop something you cared about? I never have. Tell a lie, i joined a convoy during the fuel protests. Hasnt stopped it creeping back over £1/litre tho.

If these things are going to be stopped, it's upto everyone to show their support. Will it happen? Maybe on day!