Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Virgin v+

Search this Thread

Old 22 May 2009, 01:38 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Virgin v+

Anyone got or had it? I'm a sky hd customer atm. But scrapped the hd service.

I've got my BB and phone with virgin.

What's the recording like on them? The only thing that persuades me is the on demand stuff is brilliant compared to sky which is almost non existent.
Old 22 May 2009, 01:45 PM
JPL
Scooby Regular

I have Virgin +
I wanted Sky when I moved but a **** off oak tree meant I can't

I get 1 HD channel on Virgin+ (BBC HD), Sky has so many more which ***** me off.

The remote is a bit crap too. And the box is bland.

Good points: 3 tuners, watch 1 channel whilst simultaneously recording another 2 channels, Sky only has 2 tuners I believe.

(But let's be honest, when have you actually needed to record 2 channels AND watch another at the same time?)

Summary: I can't have Sky, used to in the old house and liked it, Virgin + was the only choice, it's ok, apart from the lack of HD channels I think it's fine... (and I don't suffer from stuff like rain fade or crap that I used to get from satellite tv).

Have used on demand a few times, works great, but actually find it easier to get the latest DVD from Blockbuster

Last edited by JPL; 22 May 2009 at 01:46 PM.
Old 22 May 2009, 01:59 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Stick with Sky mate

Old 22 May 2009, 02:02 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

As above really. The record function is good, you can do single episodes, series links etc. You have interactive functions likes games and voting on some shows.
We have to reboot about once every 2 months which is not to bad. The things that bothers me is if you have a channel off for two long the box goes into power save mode, This means when you want to rewind what you have just watched you cant. But I have needed to do that about twice in a year so its not that big a deal.

So far HD options are rubbish, Thats the main thing that lets it down.
Apart from the HD we are pleased and have been with Virgin (NTL) for about 7 years now. very few issues.

Last edited by Timwinner; 22 May 2009 at 02:36 PM.
Old 22 May 2009, 02:17 PM
ScoTTyB
Scooby Regular

On demand is great. I use that more than watching TV.
Old 22 May 2009, 02:36 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice. Think I'll be sticking to the sky hd. As another problem I have playback with magic eye to the bedroom which the v+ don't do.
Old 22 May 2009, 02:38 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by antc
Thanks for the advice. Think I'll be sticking to the sky hd. As another problem I have playback with magic eye to the bedroom which the v+ don't do.
We did have to pay for installation on a V+ box in every room we wanted one in. No alternative at the moment.

Trending Topics

Old 22 May 2009, 02:41 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

I have no personal experience with V+ as I've always been a Sky customer but I know of 5 people who switched from Sky to Virgin and each of them regretted it almost instantly.

That said I'm sure 99% of people are happy with V+

Old 22 May 2009, 02:58 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

HD is overrated IMO anyway. Neither Sky nor Virgin provide anywhere near enough HD content to justify £1000 a month for an HD subscription (on top of eleventy seven thousand pounds to buy an HD television).

I've gone from Sky to V+ and prefer it.

Particularly love the fact that you can record 2 progs while watching a third. My GF is often recording 2 simultaneous bits of soap crap whilst I watch CSI etc.

The single best thing about V+ for me though, is the fact that all the channels you don't subscribe to are greyed out in the guide listings. No more "oh, I'll watch that program...wait 45 seconds before getting...To subscribe to this channel, ring 0800 123456 and we'll charge you the national debt of the UK to upgrade your package.." Arrrggghhh!!!
Old 22 May 2009, 11:59 PM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hanley
I have no personal experience with V+ as I've always been a Sky customer but I know of 5 people who switched from Sky to Virgin and each of them regretted it almost instantly.
My folks went from Sky to Virgin and then back to Sky - it lasted about a month before they switched back to Sky. The picture on ITV1 downstairs kept sticking - they had 2 replacement boxes and the problem didn't go away - strange things is, upstairs the problem was non-existent.

Last edited by Jonnys3; 23 May 2009 at 12:00 AM.
Old 23 May 2009, 12:32 AM
escott
Scooby Regular

Pretty happy with it for the reasons above + and it upscales standard def stuff to a very high quality, better than Sky from what I've seen. Also has iplayer built in and I've never had a failed recording which my folks seem to get a lot of on Sky. More HD channels coming soon.
Old 23 May 2009, 02:33 PM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

the one thing that has annoyed me more than anything was when virgin refused to pay the extra money to sky a couple of years back. as a result it ended in a "stalemate" situation and virgin lost the sky 1, sky news and other channels for quite some time. when this occured i was halfway through watching the 3rd series of lost on sky 1, but virgin promised the series would continue later in the year. this never happened , and now although the 2 companys have kissed and made up i was left with the choice of watching the last episodes of the final series, or just accepting that too much has gone on inbetween and by trying to catch up i will inevitably end up, well, lost. thesame can also be said with prison break come to think of it. so my advice is STAY or there is a possibility you may end up stranded like the survivors of an airplane crash in the middle of nowhere!!!
Old 23 May 2009, 03:10 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sky and Virgin are just dependant on what you grew up on imo.

I grew up with Sky so i think Virgin is rubbish end of, because i'm not used to it and i don't want to learn any better

Working for Sky, i can definitely say we have a massive return rate from people moving to Virgin because they were offered a good deal only to return to Sky within the year due to billing issues and poor quality equipment/service. Although the same can be said for Sky so its a bit of a make ur choice and see sorta thing.

As for the guy who said £10 was too much for the HD, I can only assume you are watching a different SkyHD than me or that you bought SkyHD misguidedly and didn't take into account what programmes you actually watch before purchasing it. I bought SkyHD because I love BattleStar Galactica, Documentaries of various sorts and i am very much into my movies. I would never sell HD to someone who told me they where just after the Greyhound Racing channel and some Spongebob Squarepants for instance

i've enjoyed many hours this month alone of HD quality programming whereas i could have bought half a blu-ray instead.

The fact that no one is competing with Sky on the HD front just goes to show how good their HD service is in my opinion..........now the HD box itself thats a different story

Last edited by Jamz3k; 23 May 2009 at 03:12 PM.
Old 23 May 2009, 10:53 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

think you can recive 80 hours on virgin+