Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

PVR advice

Search this Thread

Old 22 May 2009, 11:53 AM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PVR advice

My parents have a Thomson DTi16300-16 which they have had for about 18 months now. It is starting to play up, such things like not record, freezing and screen going darker when playing back recorded material.

I have found a reset and reformatt to factory setting on AV foums - Thomson DTI 16300-16 top up tv Anytime Box - AVForums.com which I have not tried yet, so that may work, if not, what would the SN masses recommend. I heard that Humax are supposed to be a good PVR. Is this still the case?

Cheers
Old 22 May 2009, 12:55 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Like our Humax 9200. Have had it for two years. Nearly full for 22 months No problems.
Old 22 May 2009, 01:21 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Still think nothing beats my TiVo, the fact that it learns what you like and records stuff that may interest you is amazing, unit is now 6 years old I believe and still going strong.

Sadly TiVo pulled out of the UK market COMEBACK NOW!!!!!!!
Old 22 May 2009, 01:44 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

I've had a topfield TF5800.

Some previous topics on PVRs below..

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...od-pvr-go.html

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...alent-vcr.html
Old 22 May 2009, 02:51 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

The thomsons are dire. I see at least one a week at work faulty , the father in law ignored my advice and bought one he's had 3 exchanged since then he bought a humax 9300t which I advised him to do first time round!

some people won't listen

Last edited by Ant; 22 May 2009 at 02:54 PM.
Old 22 May 2009, 04:50 PM
SCOsazOBY
Scooby Senior

Ive got that Thomson one and ive started having problems with it and its only 9 months old.
It kept crashing on me so when i rang them up i was told i needed to get a better ariel so when i told them i have a brand spanking new ariel they said oh it must be the tv repair guys in your area working on the transmitter!
I wasnt happy so he said to set the buffer to off, so i did and it worked but i said doesnt that defeat the object of been able to rewind the tv!
Anyway last month it was doing it again, freezing up and failing to record programs so i did a system reset and its been fine ....... for now......

Oh and dont subscribe to their top up tv as its **** and they are crafty and charge you for it every month!
Old 22 May 2009, 07:36 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by antc
The thomsons are dire. I see at least one a week at work faulty , the father in law ignored my advice and bought one he's had 3 exchanged since then he bought a humax 9300t which I advised him to do first time round!

some people won't listen
Originally Posted by SCOsazOBY
Ive got that Thomson one and ive started having problems with it and its only 9 months old.
It kept crashing on me so when i rang them up i was told i needed to get a better ariel so when i told them i have a brand spanking new ariel they said oh it must be the tv repair guys in your area working on the transmitter!
I wasnt happy so he said to set the buffer to off, so i did and it worked but i said doesnt that defeat the object of been able to rewind the tv!
Anyway last month it was doing it again, freezing up and failing to record programs so i did a system reset and its been fine ....... for now......

Oh and dont subscribe to their top up tv as its **** and they are crafty and charge you for it every month!
Cheers guys. It does not surprise me that your Thomson has gone awol as it seems you are having similar problem to what my parents and I are having.

Looks like its time to put the Thomson in a very special place, the bin and get a new PVR, Humax or a Topfield.

Trending Topics

Old 22 May 2009, 08:08 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Following advice on here from Nimbus nearly three years ago I bought a Topfield. I've been delighted with it!

One of the things that attracted me to the Topfield was that other users had written their own software to change things like the Programme Guide display and that these apps can be downloaded and installed free of charge. I haven't actually used this!

However, something that I have used (and don't know if it is available on the Humax) is downloading and installing the latest firmware. Freeview Plus (or whatever it's called) is now available and this didn't mean that my PVR became obsolete as I could just download and install the firmware, again free of charge.
Old 22 May 2009, 08:37 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

the humax has OTA updates. It has Freeview + too
Old 22 May 2009, 09:11 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Topfield and Humax are always recommended. I opted for a Sony with (multi-region) DVD play & record as well as a 250gb HDD and Freeview. I'm completely satisfied with the pic and audio quality from every format and it has been faultless so far.
Old 11 June 2009, 12:36 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Just to up date you, my parents and I settled for the Humax 9300T which they brought from JLP. So far it is a nice bit of kit, very slick and stylish for a black box.