Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What bank? New business account setup

Search this Thread

Old 19 May 2009, 03:03 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What bank? New business account setup

Exciting times for us, Mrs J and I are registering a Ltd company today, got web domains etc, just need to sort out the bank account.

Is there any that stand out atm, or is it just based on location, past grudges etc

Going to look at them all now, but any recent experiences or tips welcome
Old 19 May 2009, 03:10 PM
Dave Bullock
Scooby Regular

Cool

I'm with Abbey.

It is completely free as long as you stay within the limits.

There have been problems though. Internet banking problems that have left business owners with no access to their cash for days on end. The worst I have had was 2 days without access.

It is all done over the internet or the phone. You can't do anything in branch except for paying in.

It save me a good chunk though. Was paying about £95.00 per month with HSBC before an now pay nothing. HSBC internet banking is, however, far better.

Hope that helps.

Dave.
Old 19 May 2009, 03:14 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

I have my ltd coy account with alliance and leicester. Free and no problems to report.
Old 19 May 2009, 03:16 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

A happy HSBC business banker here - been with them for six years with two different Ltd companies and never had issues - their on-line banking is good and very secure too.

Having said that we've never needed a loan or overdraft - that's the proper test of a good business bank I reckon.
Old 19 May 2009, 03:35 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
I have my ltd coy account with alliance and leicester. Free and no problems to report.
You can also pay your cash and cheques in at your local post office free of charge.
Old 19 May 2009, 03:47 PM
Dave Bullock
Scooby Regular

Isn't A&L part of Santander (Abbey) now?

I had about £200,000 of business loans from HSBC when I was buying equipment but that was many years ago. Don't know what they are like now.

I couldn't fault HSBC except for the charges. £1100.00 per year is better in my pocket that theirs. However, when I approached them with a view to them reducing these charges an abrupt NO is all I got even though I pointed out that I could get free banking.

Hence the move to Abbey.

Dave.
Old 19 May 2009, 04:15 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by MattW
I was going to say these. I've spoken to them regarding the wifes salon and they were very helpful.
Old 19 May 2009, 04:16 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

I think it is part of Santander now. I like it because they support MSMoney format exports, and that is what my accounting package uses (Online accounting software. Free trial, free support. if anyone is interested).

My only gripe is that they can't give me a US$ account with a US$ address, and cheques from the US take 18 days to clear. HSBC would but I suspect it costs a lot.
Old 20 May 2009, 08:05 AM
sbk1972
Scooby Regular

Im with Barclays, internet banking is great, and you get the first 18 months free banking. After that cheques and stuff cost. Once my free period is up, I'll probably move to another free banking provider.

Thumbs up for starting a new business, scary, yet exciting. Being a Ltd company, which I am, best to try and wear two caps, the employee and the employer, and you wont get stuck. Remember your insurances too !

SBK
Old 20 May 2009, 08:54 AM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

I switched from Lloyds, who kept fining me, and charging me for the privelage, to Abbey, due to their freeness. Given that I was only paying the odd few quid in, getting charged for it was rediculous.
Abbey have been fine so far, though you can't use get any info through the branch, which is a pain sometimes.
Old 20 May 2009, 09:33 AM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

I use Cater Allen, very good indeed, part of santander group. only bad thing is the interest rate on my account is now non existant, used to be good