Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

OK, serious answers only please:

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2009, 07:57 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK, serious answers only please:

Can having a beergut affect your back, ie: give you bad enough posture to trap nerves?

I do have a bit of a pot, and REALLY want to avoid this happening to me EVER again. Twice this year is enough by far

I'm 5'8" and weigh 11st 12lb with most of the excess on my belly.

So................if I have to change my lifestyle to avoid it, I will do it. Really.
Old 17 May 2009, 08:01 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

I am fairly sure it can, We are not designed to have big stomachs, our backs are made to consistently support a gut.
Dont worry about your weight to much, worry about the distribution of it.
Old 17 May 2009, 08:03 PM
scoobyvirgin
Scooby Regular

Did somebody mention Chubby Brown?? You fat b*stard!!
Old 17 May 2009, 08:05 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

At that weight ,I really cant see it causing you back problems .
Old 17 May 2009, 08:12 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

11 st aint really that fat to give you back trouble i wouldn't have thought considering your height too.where exactly on your back does it hurt all over or is a certain spot..
Old 17 May 2009, 08:15 PM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's a lad at work who's had to stop playing 5-aside with us cos he's complaining of shin-splints. He openly admits they are aggravating him because his beer belly cannot be sustained by his legs. Furthermore, pregnant women always suffer from back pains so I'd say it's more than plausible that an overstocked tummy can really knacker up the back. For a serious answer I'd probably consult your GP.
Old 17 May 2009, 08:19 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by tanyatriangles
Can having a beergut affect your back, ie: give you bad enough posture to trap nerves?

I do have a bit of a pot, and REALLY want to avoid this happening to me EVER again. Twice this year is enough by far

I'm 5'8" and weigh 11st 12lb with most of the excess on my belly.

So................if I have to change my lifestyle to avoid it, I will do it. Really.
I would say so. My other half has a bit of a tummy and he suffers back problems. I have never had back trouble apart from when I was expecting my two kids. From about 6months on. After giving birth, never had a problem again
Your weight is certainly not bad for your height, you just need to do some good excercise that will not strain your back in the process. Good luck
Old 17 May 2009, 08:30 PM
yoza
BANNED

I am currently 19 stone dead.

I carry alot of weight but I DONT have a bad back.

I dont have a beergut either (34" waist), my weight is distributed quite well all over my body, but I think my head is HUGE so that must weigh a few stone on its own.

So I would say YES, a beergut can give you a bad back....also a major problem with pregnant women is back pain, so maybe large bellies squash your spine.
Old 17 May 2009, 08:32 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by DYK
11 st aint really that fat to give you back trouble i wouldn't have thought considering your height too.where exactly on your back does it hurt all over or is a certain spot..
According to the doc, and the chiropractor, I've damaged a disc and nipped a nerve between the 6th and 7th vertebrae, so lower neck/upper back. Brachial nerve? The one that's on your "funnybone" anyway. The pain, however, is left of between the shoulder blades plus left arm like fury. Outer two fingers of left hand numb and useless. Plus I have only 25 % of the grip I have in my right hand added to loss of motor control. Chiropractor says that's all "referred pain"???????????

This is my second go at this in 2009, so I'm not a happy bunny. I see a consultant tomorrow in Hull, only five and half months since first referral
Old 17 May 2009, 08:34 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by yoza
I am currently 19 stone dead.

I carry alot of weight but I DONT have a bad back.

I dont have a beergut either (34" waist), my weight is distributed quite well all over my body, but I think my head is HUGE so that must weigh a few stone on its own.

So I would say YES, a beergut can give you a bad back....also a major problem with pregnant women is back pain, so maybe large bellies squash your spine.
I'm going to ask the consultant tomorrow plus Vicki, the chiropractor on wednesday. If EITHER say yes, I'm off the booze the same day, no argument.
Old 17 May 2009, 09:01 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A slipped disc will release fluid and cause pressure on your spinal cord or a nerve fibre and can cause pain on the damaged disc or any surronding area controlled by that nerve..try taking some ibuprofen and also try this simple exercise.Open any door in your house and with one hand reach up and hold the top of the door,then lift up on leg and with the other hand hold your leg so it touches your *** or as comfortably high as you can go,then count ten seconds.What this does is it opens up the disc in your back and it releases the pressure,kinda like the clutch on a car press the pedal down it opens the clutch,release the pedal and the clutch comes together..it will help with the pain until you can get proper treatment...
Old 17 May 2009, 09:47 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

OK, I'm game, I'm getting to the state where if someone told me to run bollock naked down the Mall, I'd do it to ease this............
Old 17 May 2009, 09:48 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

It doesn't seem like a weight that would cause back problems to be honest.
Maybe there is an underlying problem and the 'extra' weight is simply adding some pressure?
Old 17 May 2009, 09:51 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

OK, I'm game, I'm getting to the state where if someone told me to run bollock naked down the Mall, I'd do it to ease this............
Well I'll be...............it DOES ease it. How did you know that?

And how often can you/should you NOT do it?
Old 17 May 2009, 10:39 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

I know my knees are telling me to loose weight. I've spent all today walking round with a knee brace on. I'm 6' and 14 st.

Only the problem is 1 have 1 buggered knee and its the "good" one thats playing up.

I was told by the physio last time I had a check up to get down to about 12st6.
Old 17 May 2009, 10:54 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Yes of course it can. That doesn't mean it is the problem though. Find a decent chiro or sports clinic and get an x-ray and someone will tell you how straight your spine is.

You need to learn how to walk correctly, sit properly and sleep on a decent mattress. Also how to lift and get your legs checked as one could be slightly shorter that the other.

I found that lying on floor on tummy and then pulling each leg up to your side very helpful as this gently stretches spine (similar to tip above).

dl
Old 18 May 2009, 08:22 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

I'm going to ask the consultant tomorrow plus Vicki, the chiropractor on wednesday. If EITHER say yes, I'm off the booze the same day, no argument.
Shall we go for a pint tomorrow afternoon then Jeff - one for the road

By the way, I'm 5'6 and weigh about 14 1/2st. I have a gut but I wouldn't say you or me look bigger than one another I still don't believe your as old as you claim
Old 18 May 2009, 09:56 AM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
Shall we go for a pint tomorrow afternoon then Jeff - one for the road

By the way, I'm 5'6 and weigh about 14 1/2st. I have a gut but I wouldn't say you or me look bigger than one another I still don't believe your as old as you claim
Pints aren't an easy option at the mo, as it means walking or bussing into town. The walk is too far for me at the moment and the buses are rubbish.
Also, the double pills I'm on don't really seem to like beer........or any alcohol for that matter, unless you want to sit and literally listen to me talk rubbish at high speed for about three hours.
One's Tramadol, and I think the other is diclorofex or something like that, but at least I'm off the diazepam.

I know what you mean about our relative sizes, and it's because I think your weight is more evenly spread, whereas mine is virtually ONLY on my gut. You don't really HAVE a gut.

David: I actually do have one leg slightly shorter than the other, as one leg of my jeans always drags on the floor and the other is untouched, and it's always the same leg, so not a quality control issue, (except for whoever made me)
Old 18 May 2009, 10:02 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Pints aren't an easy option at the mo, as it means walking or bussing into town. The walk is too far for me at the moment and the buses are rubbish.
Agreed, I'd rather and infact do walk when the car's broken.

Also, the double pills I'm on don't really seem to like beer........or any alcohol for that matter, unless you want to sit and literally listen to me talk rubbish at high speed for about three hours.
Have you been on said pills since the first time we met up in the pub

I know what you mean about our relative sizes, and it's because I think your weight is more evenly spread, whereas mine is virtually ONLY on my gut. You don't really HAVE a gut.
I'm gonna send that as a text to Nat. See I ain't fat, I'm evenly spread. But in all seriousness I am pretty stocky for a short ****, you seem more of a slight and athletic build. Didn't realise you were a giant at 5'8 though

David: I actually do have one leg slightly shorter than the other, as one leg of my jeans always drags on the floor and the other is untouched, and it's always the same leg, so not a quality control issue, (except for whoever made me)
Must... resist... pic....... of.................. Oh **** it

Sorry
Old 18 May 2009, 11:35 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I really can't see your weight being too much for your height. Hard to say about the back problem, can easily be nothing to do with you stomach although I can't see it being that big at that weight.

Sounds like it is all due to the trapped nerve and that is more likely to have been caused by something else.

Hope it get sorted anyway-I can imagine just what a problem that must be.

Les
Old 18 May 2009, 11:56 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Tanya - definitely not heavy enough to cause back issues but if you are a bit overweight, it's likely to be an over sedentary lifestyle that isn't helping. Too much sitting/slumping, not enough activity.

If it carries on, see a good physio - they'll show you exercises that will help and tell you what to avoid.

My physio keeps "fixing" me when I break (too much training in my case!) and does a grand job.

Your stomach and back muscles should balance - if either are working too hard, you go out of balance and put pressure on the wrong parts of your body.
Old 18 May 2009, 01:47 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Do you feel the "weight"?
Old 18 May 2009, 01:59 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Beer Bellies are like Ladies in advanced stages of Pregnancy ..... holders of both suffer bad backs.

But, I have to say - even though you are short, 11Stone is pretty lightweight ...... I'm 20 Stone, had a bad back 10 years ago due to too much weight training - now I have eased off the pumping I am much, much better!