Obtaining a lock up garage.

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2009, 06:35 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Obtaining a lock up garage.

Hi,

I need some storage space and a "lock up" garage would be ideal.

1. Do councils rent them, and how much are they.
2. What about privately
3. How about buying / renting a bit of land and erecting a garage.........council tax?

Advice please.
Old 17 May 2009, 06:47 PM
yoza
BANNED

How can I rent a garage site or lock-up?

We have quite a number of lock-ups and garage sites to rent. If you would like to rent one you need to contact your Area Housing Office. See Renting a garage site or lock-up. When you take on a garage site or lock-up you sign a separate Tenancy Agreement. Your rent for a garage site or lock-up will be added to your rent and you will pay it as one amount.

Can I store anything in my lock-up or garage?

Lock-ups are let for the purpose of storing a car, van or motorbike. You are free to put other items in but you should make sure that they are secure and covered by your contents insurance against damage or theft. You must not store any dangerous items, eg petrol, bottled gas or other flammable items.

What happens if a car appears to be abandoned?

If you are worried about a vehicle that has been parked in the same spot for some time and you think that no one in the area owns it or someone has abandoned it, please report this to the Police (see Useful Contact Numbers), your Area Housing Office or the Cleansing Office (see Council Contact Numbers).

Renting a garage site or lock-up

We have a number of lock-ups across the area. We also have garage sites where you can put up your own garage.

If you would like to rent a lock-up or garage site just contact your Area Housing Office. We keep a waiting list for lock-up and garage sites.

People who are not tenants can also rent lock-ups and garage sites.

A rent charge is made for all our garage sites and lock-ups. If you are a tenant this is added to your rent.

Parking
You must only park in designated parking areas. No area can be reserved by a particular household.

You must ask our permission if you want to park a large commercial vehicle, caravan, boat, or mobile home on a regular basis on any road or land owned by the Council.

Your car may be removed if you park illegally on pavements, footpaths or verges or the car is causing a danger or an obstruction.

You must not use car parking areas, your driveway or any area near your home to carry out repairs to any vehicle except your own.

If you want to park a car, boat, caravan or a commercial vehicle in your garden you need to ask our permission and you will have to make a proper driveway. You will also need to contact the Council’s Planning Department to get planning permission.
Old 17 May 2009, 09:29 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulr
Hi,

I need some storage space and a "lock up" garage would be ideal.

1. Do councils rent them, and how much are they.
2. What about privately
3. How about buying / renting a bit of land and erecting a garage.........council tax?

Advice please.
1 Councils still do in certain areas but most are now unsightly unless they've been maintained properly which isn't usually the case. Plus they aren't always in an area you'd want to keep a bale of hay, let alone goods of any value.

2. I had over a hundred garages at one point renting them out and I never once had anybody complain about the decor like I did houses. Fantastic, minimum effort cash generator for spending on ******. This is your best bet if you want a decent, secure lock-up in an area often better than the home of the tenant. Privately owned blocks can be gated too to prevent them from being hang-outs for the local yoof.

3. Pretty pointless when you have the above.

Your local papers should have adverts in from lock-up owners but from experience I rarely had a garage come up for rent. Once a tenant was in they kept it on. Estate agents also like to get in on the 'lock-up act' so you would do well to phone a few up locally.
Old 17 May 2009, 10:33 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Thanks, what sort of rent are they privately.
Old 17 May 2009, 10:41 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

I've just started to rent a large double garage sized lock up on a farm, about a 2 minute walk from my house.
No power in it but it's only for storing my work gear.
I'm paying £40 per month.

I'd thought about putting a shipping container on my field (adjacent to my house) but weighing up the costs of re-fencing in the sheep, laying hardcore to drive on and the actual cost of the container (not to mention my time in labour to do the above) I felt it was easier to rent for a few years.

If you have any farms near you farmers always seem to have a spare barn or garage. Might be worth a look.
Old 17 May 2009, 10:42 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Thanks, what sort of rent are they privately.
Not up to date on prices, Paul, but I was charging £25/Month in 2001 when I sold up.

A search online will probably bring up something in your area.
Old 18 May 2009, 11:31 AM
Jap Import
Scooby Regular

currrently renting from the council £30 per month. but it would be less if I were in a council house.

Trending Topics

Old 18 May 2009, 11:33 AM
Jap Import
Scooby Regular

Edited to point out that I wouldn't garage my car in the garage location. Just use it to store bit's and peices I'm not too sure what to do with
Old 18 May 2009, 05:36 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Thanks.
Old 18 May 2009, 07:00 PM
Tucker82
Scooby Regular

I rent mine from the council. We agreed a fiver a week, which was nice - then they told me they made a mistake a doubled it

Had a dispute going on since feb - im still only paying the 5 quid

Going rate is 30-40 quid tho I think
Old 18 May 2009, 10:32 PM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

I've been renting out a lockup in Reading, £10 p/w standing order, it's paid for itself in 5 years

D
Old 19 May 2009, 11:23 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Try asking your council.

Les
Old 25 May 2009, 09:58 AM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dunk
I've been renting out a lockup in Reading, £10 p/w standing order, it's paid for itself in 5 years

D
Does that mean you bought one, if so how much. Whats the going rate to buy a garage, and secondly, do you pay council tax on it.
Old 25 May 2009, 01:03 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Does that mean you bought one, if so how much. Whats the going rate to buy a garage, and secondly, do you pay council tax on it.
Paul, it varies but usually falls under the same price structure guidelines of any investment purchase.

Annual Rent x Garages x Years multiple (Used to be circa 5 years but can be higher or lower) = Value

I've paid more for fewer garages in blocks in better locations, maybe 2K a piece but the rent was higher, risk less, and return sometimes quicker than cheaper garages.

I once bought 20 garages from a chap more interested in the 10K I paid than the monthly rent of £400/Month.

Single garages are probably hard to find unless you get lucky. Right time, right place scenario. Value is dependent on area too and can vary wildly but somebody who knows how it works will apply the formula at the top and then be prepared to haggle.

No council tax to pay on garages.
Old 25 May 2009, 04:18 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
Paul, it varies but usually falls under the same price structure guidelines of any investment purchase.

Annual Rent x Garages x Years multiple (Used to be circa 5 years but can be higher or lower) = Value

I've paid more for fewer garages in blocks in better locations, maybe 2K a piece but the rent was higher, risk less, and return sometimes quicker than cheaper garages.

I once bought 20 garages from a chap more interested in the 10K I paid than the monthly rent of £400/Month.

Single garages are probably hard to find unless you get lucky. Right time, right place scenario. Value is dependent on area too and can vary wildly but somebody who knows how it works will apply the formula at the top and then be prepared to haggle.

No council tax to pay on garages.

Thanks, how do you go about finding them to buy. Do the council ever sell them. Finally are they freehold. Do you own the land under them.

cheers
Paul.
Old 25 May 2009, 08:43 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Thanks, how do you go about finding them to buy. Do the council ever sell them. Finally are they freehold. Do you own the land under them.

cheers
Paul.
I used to have Estate Agents or private sellers phoning me up once they knew I bought lock-ups. My local council did sell lock-ups, if and when it suited them.

All mine were freehold so the land was mine too. I wouldn't buy a bag of crisps leasehold.

I still get phone calls today, 8 years after selling, from people wanting a lock-up.

Look in your local classifieds or property paper for sales or rent, that is where I started.
Old 25 May 2009, 11:02 PM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

I think Spoon has covered this with far more knowledge than me. I paid £3k for mine in a decent area as one in block of ten, no council tax, and a 20% pa return. I've no idea whether the capital value has increased, as they're difficult to value. If the house next door wants it, it'll be pricey however for another investor it'd be one of many for sale.
It's paid for itself, been easy to let, and has a remote chance of the block being demolished for building in the future. Ultimately more fun than an ISA ! Ask local estate agents, auctioneers and check the free ads papers.

D
Old 26 May 2009, 01:57 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the info.
Just out of curiosity Spoon, why did you quit the letting business ?
Old 26 May 2009, 04:26 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the info.
Just out of curiosity Spoon, why did you quit the letting business ?
I was day trading at the time on the LSE from home and wanted greater exposure in the US, so I sold the lock-ups and houses to add funds. I also planned to let someone else manage it while I enjoyed this 'life rental' game.
Old 29 May 2009, 08:15 AM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dunk
I think Spoon has covered this with far more knowledge than me. I paid £3k for mine in a decent area as one in block of ten, no council tax, and a 20% pa return. I've no idea whether the capital value has increased, as they're difficult to value. If the house next door wants it, it'll be pricey however for another investor it'd be one of many for sale.
It's paid for itself, been easy to let, and has a remote chance of the block being demolished for building in the future. Ultimately more fun than an ISA ! Ask local estate agents, auctioneers and check the free ads papers.

D
3k is what i'd pay.
Old 12 October 2013, 02:50 AM
h0bbsy
Scooby Newbie

Mr Spoon,

I know I'm a total n00b on here (other than I registered 10 years ago then didn't post in the meantime as my car interests have been elsewhere than scoobs) but can I pick your brains re: garage lettings? I'm talking just a few quick questions, very interested in your replies based on your past experience as a fellow petrolhead. I will leave it to you to reply here.

Thanks in advance
hobbsy
Old 12 October 2013, 07:44 AM
zip106
Scooby Regular

A 4 year thread resurrection...... Holy...
Old 12 October 2013, 04:19 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular