Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Ipod transfers

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2009, 06:34 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ipod transfers

Firstly, why are Ipod's such a pain in the ****!!!

Secondly, can somebody explain how you go about transfering the contents of an ipod to another computer without deleting everything.

Cheers.

Nik.
Old 17 May 2009, 07:01 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, the idea of iTunes, is that you can't move music from an iPod to a PC.
You are only supposed to be able to move it from a PC to an iPod.
Old 17 May 2009, 07:02 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

There is a program called "Imtoo ipod computer transfer" I have it on my pc and have used to to copy one ipod content as it blocks itunes until you get everything off.
Old 17 May 2009, 08:51 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nik52wrx
Firstly, why are Ipod's such a pain in the ****!!!

Secondly, can somebody explain how you go about transfering the contents of an ipod to another computer without deleting everything.

Cheers.

Nik.
It's Apple's form of copy protection. With iTunes you can only copy TO your iPod and not FROM your iPod. The idea being that you could plug in your friends iPod and copy all their music, which you don't own, onto your computer, thus stealing it.

There are ways around this however, and it all depends on what iPod you have as to what you can do.

If you set windows to display hidden and system files, then connect the iPod, you may well be able to view the contents of the iPod as a disk in Explorer, if you can, look for a folder named .iPodControl, inside there will be a Music folder. If you copy that then you'll have all the music from the iPod. One thing worthy of note is that the songs will all have unique names, and will not match the name of the actual song it represents, another aim at copy protection. If you import those files into iTunes however, it will pick up the correct information using the ID3 tags in the files themselves.

Another method would be to use a third party application to copy the music from the iPod onto your computer. I've just used Yamipod to do this with a 4th Generation iPod Nano and it worked very well indeed.

You may want to have a read of this for in-depth information on how to copy music from your iPod to your Computer.
Old 17 May 2009, 10:14 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

The imtoo program I used just lets you copy the whole ipod onto your computer and every album is as it should be its very easy to use as well.
Old 17 May 2009, 10:40 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies. I think Apple must make the assumption we never replace our computers. Can the backup library to disk feature on Itunes work for transfering a complete library from one pc to another?
Old 17 May 2009, 10:54 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nik52wrx
Thanks for the replies. I think Apple must make the assumption we never replace our computers. Can the backup library to disk feature on Itunes work for transfering a complete library from one pc to another?
Looking at that option it'll basically burn all your music to CD/DVD, so it will help, but if you have a lot of music it's going to go through a fair few DVD's/CD's and you'll still have to import it on the new PC.

What you might want to do is have a read of this thread, specifically my reply, which mentions how to get music from iTunes on one PC onto another new PC.

Trending Topics

Old 18 May 2009, 12:03 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

I went through this very thing 18 months ago, and did it using the method detailed by Markus, with no problems at all