Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Right then, all you house/dance music fans, and logic users. Heres my first attempt

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2009, 11:55 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Right then, all you house/dance music fans, and logic users. Heres my first attempt

OK so i have started to make a house song, and it is also the first song i have started to make. It is quite chilled out and has some sampled lyrics but i think they will get changed to a bigger set.

I am having some troubles with it as i cant get the bassline right in it, at the moment it is clashing with the melody, but it was getting late and i thought it was time for bed so ill work on it some more tomorrow.

Please have a listen and give me some feedback/critisism/advice.....

And anyone that uses logic if you would like to help tweak the EQ or change anything that you think needs changing don't hesitate to ask for the whole file so you can do so (I'm a cheeky b4rstad i know )

YouTube - Deep into the vibe.

Thanks
Old 15 May 2009, 12:10 AM
Kevin Greeley
Scooby Regular

Not bad! I liked it.

Definitely need to get that bass line in there - over 3 minutes but not that much happens.

How about some more/different vocals?

I think I heard only one keyboard sample - maybe put different ones in too?

Keep up the good work, Kevin.
Old 15 May 2009, 12:21 AM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Yeah I'm thinking of having Tom novy vs eniac - superstar lyrics as the chorus then some other funky house lyrics as the verse's. but i do plan to make another keyboard sample to use with the chorus perhaps, or use the existing one for the chorus and another for the rest.

Yep not too much happens yet, i just wanted to get a 'base' to adapt as i go along, once i get more i can add length to it (ooh eer ) and make it a bit more interesting.

Thanks for your input Kevin

Last edited by subaruturbo_18; 15 May 2009 at 12:25 AM.
Old 15 May 2009, 07:56 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

As you know fella, I'm a fellow DJ, and really into my choons. More trance & progressive, but will listen to all sorts.

Thats a decent attempt by all accounts, certainly better than anything I have faffed with on Reason/Fruity Loops etc.

A couple things which I noted if it helps at all. The track comes in quite quickly. Usually about 1min-2min is when bass kicks in on house isn't it? I'd probably disguard this as your starting from scratch and it is a different genre to what I play, so probably bollocks on my part

Second point, for me that track needs something in the background with the keyboard. For some reason I personally wanted to hear like a trumpet/saxophone riff. Could you maybe conjour up something on the synthesizer software perhaps?

Keep going though, you have a knack. It would be cool to use a track of yours in anything I mix - if I ever get into a bar/club
Old 15 May 2009, 08:14 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Hi Buddy

OK - 1st things first. REALLY good attempt WELL DONE
There's a lot of armchair producers out there (and on this site) who think this type of stuff is p1ss easy to do LOL!

1. Liking the beat - sits there really nicely. Look at the channel plugins for mastering just to beef it up a bit.
2. Vocal - would benefit from a compressor across it just to give it a bit more bite. Also, why not try automating a filter across it just to give it an extra dimension? You could also try reversing the sample, putting a shed load of reverb on it and running it as a percussive ambient effect in the backgroud - maybe with some automated stereo panning
3. Bassline - yeh, needs a bit of work there. Do you actually play, or have you just drawn the notes in? I could send you a list of notes that work well with different chords etc

Keep going though fella - each tune you do WILL be better than the last one. But don't get too hung up on each one. Let them go once your pretty much happy with it - fwiw, you'll NEVER be 100% (there's always something else you can do to it - it's called "over-production", or "going up your own a$$-hole"!!!!! )

If you want any help with the Logic-type stuff, drop me a PM or email

Again - well done

Dan
Old 15 May 2009, 08:17 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555
Hi Buddy

OK - 1st things first. REALLY good attempt WELL DONE
There's a lot of armchair producers out there (and on this site) who think this type of stuff is p1ss easy to do LOL!

1. Liking the beat - sits there really nicely. Look at the channel plugins for mastering just to beef it up a bit.
2. Vocal - would benefit from a compressor across it just to give it a bit more bite. Also, why not try automating a filter across it just to give it an extra dimension? You could also try reversing the sample, putting a shed load of reverb on it and running it as a percussive ambient effect in the backgroud - maybe with some automated stereo panning
3. Bassline - yeh, needs a bit of work there. Do you actually play, or have you just drawn the notes in? I could send you a list of notes that work well with different chords etc

Keep going though fella - each tune you do WILL be better than the last one. But don't get too hung up on each one. Let them go once your pretty much happy with it - fwiw, you'll NEVER be 100% (there's always something else you can do to it - it's called "over-production", or "going up your own a$$-hole"!!!!! )

If you want any help with the Logic-type stuff, drop me a PM or email

Again - well done

Dan
Cool. Do you work in the business Dan? Thats some pretty insightful stuff.

I know theres another member on here who works on the live production side at clubs etc when DJ's are playing.

Sorry to hijack your thread ST18
Old 15 May 2009, 08:30 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Yes mate - I do
www.daproductions.co.uk

Also on facebook - look for Dan Armstrong/ScoobyDoo555
Old 15 May 2009, 08:37 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Yes mate - I do
www.daproductions.co.uk

Also on facebook - look for Dan Armstrong/ScoobyDoo555
Ah, I remember now.
Old 15 May 2009, 09:05 AM
yoza
BANNED

Sorry didnt get past the title..." Deep Into The Vibe "

I think your first port of call is to rectify the cheesey title.
Old 15 May 2009, 09:18 AM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

COB - firstly I appreciate your comments, and I think I understand what you mean there about a trumpet or sax or something, I think I'll either add an instrument or create a sound on a synth to add in. In regards to the length of the track, it will be made to actual length once I am happy with every sound in there, and can start arranging/mixing everything properly.

Scoobydoo - again thanks for feedback, I will definately give those effects and ideas a go and see how I get on. I don't play any instrument, I have been putting the notes in manually and just working by ear. If you could send me a list of notes that would be great mate

What sort of stuff do you produce? I would check out your website but I'm at work right now.
Old 15 May 2009, 09:21 AM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by yoza
Sorry didnt get past the title..." Deep Into The Vibe "

I think your first port of call is to rectify the cheesey title.
well I had to put something but that was all I could think of, it was that or the name that logic gave it 'output 1-2'
Old 15 May 2009, 11:54 AM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

67 views and only ten replies....
Old 15 May 2009, 12:40 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by subaruturbo_18
I have been putting the notes in manually and just working by ear. If you could send me a list of notes that would be great mate

What sort of stuff do you produce? I would check out your website but I'm at work right now.
Will have look when I get home. I write a bit of everything tbh, but going through a progressive/electro vibe at the moment.

My last tune is on my Facebook site -
Leaving Facebook... | Facebook

Dan
Old 15 May 2009, 12:45 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Cool, thanks a lot buddy. I'll check it out when I get home
Old 15 May 2009, 12:45 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

Sounds like MJ Cole produced it, i like the chilled out vibe!
Old 15 May 2009, 12:58 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8WRX
Sounds like MJ Cole produced it, i like the chilled out vibe!
That has definately put a big smile on my face
Old 15 May 2009, 01:04 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Where is the melody? All I hear is a couple of chords endlessly repeating.

Try keeping everthing in the same key. Then they won't 'clash'. I'm guessing these are a couple of loops from a sample CD or something similar.
Old 15 May 2009, 01:10 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Like I said In the OP it is very basic at the moment and does need a few more layers.

Give me a couple weeks and all should be improved.

I think you are right about the keys, I have no musical experence really so I'm still learning about keys
Old 15 May 2009, 01:35 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Will have look when I get home. I write a bit of everything tbh, but going through a progressive/electro vibe at the moment.

My last tune is on my Facebook site -
Leaving Facebook... | Facebook

Dan
Don't wanna sound cheeky, but could you send me an MP3 or CD of that choon. That could be a belter for me in a build up set starting around 128-130bpm
Old 15 May 2009, 02:03 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I liked the music-good beat but the bass could be a little stronger and as was said, a bit more instrumentals to liven it up. Needs more variety in the vocal department.

Well done

Les
Old 15 May 2009, 02:43 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Thanks

With positive feedback like this it makes me want to progress and keep at the song to get it sorted. So all your comments do mean something to me.
Old 15 May 2009, 02:49 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Thanks

With positive feedback like this it makes me want to progress and keep at the song to get it sorted. So all your comments do mean something to me.
Are you more into the production side then over the DJ'ing side?

Like I said in my first reply, I'm trying to get into a bar/club somewhere (after 6 years of trying). I've never had that production bug, although I do humm different sounds etc I'd like to play with - if I had the upto date software and a midi keyboard/samples handy.
Old 15 May 2009, 02:58 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Well I have always been in to DJ-ing since I was about 12-13 so I've had that as a hobby since then, I've always had an urge for the production side of things but thought I could never do it, that was until I found a 6week evening course at my uni for a reasonable price, so thought that was my chance. Luckily I came into some money and though fvck it you only live once, so bought a mac and havnt looked back. If you are really into your music, which with you being a dj COB I know you are, you can't go wrong with it. You could probably get hold of a torret version of cubase or similar for a windows pc and a cheap midi keyboard from eBay (I havnt even got one yet ) combine that with a tutorial DVD and patience and your away.

Oh and turning a rhythm you have been humming into a sound is a good feeling, especially once you add a beat to it and it works.

Last edited by subaruturbo_18; 15 May 2009 at 03:01 PM.
Old 15 May 2009, 08:50 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Well I have always been in to DJ-ing since I was about 12-13 so I've had that as a hobby since then, I've always had an urge for the production side of things but thought I could never do it, that was until I found a 6week evening course at my uni for a reasonable price, so thought that was my chance. Luckily I came into some money and though fvck it you only live once, so bought a mac and havnt looked back. If you are really into your music, which with you being a dj COB I know you are, you can't go wrong with it. You could probably get hold of a torret version of cubase or similar for a windows pc and a cheap midi keyboard from eBay (I havnt even got one yet ) combine that with a tutorial DVD and patience and your away.

Oh and turning a rhythm you have been humming into a sound is a good feeling, especially once you add a beat to it and it works.