Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

TV Licence

Search this Thread

Old 15 May 2009, 12:25 PM
HPLovecraft
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TV Licence

I just moved house a month ago and got a letter from the TV licensing people this morning warning me that if I didn't buy a licence pronto they would be referring me to their enforcement team. Talking about this to a friend in work he told me he hadn't paid his for 6 years ! Every month he gets another letter saying more or less the same thing, he also pointed me to this web site:

Letters from BBC Television Licensing/intro

Anyone had similair experiences ? Do you agree with having to pay the licence fee ?
Old 15 May 2009, 12:29 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Try it an find out. If you get hit with a £1000 fine, we'll all know to keep paying out fee.
Old 15 May 2009, 12:37 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Not worth the risk surely?
Old 15 May 2009, 12:41 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

its not as thought htey dont know where you live is it,,,, pmsl
Old 15 May 2009, 12:42 PM
SCOsazOBY
Scooby Senior

Just ignore it and in a few months someone will knock on your door. All they do is read you your rights ("you dont have to say anything but if you do" bla bla bla) then they take your direct debit details and start the licence from that date
Old 15 May 2009, 01:07 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SCOsazOBY
Just ignore it and in a few months someone will knock on your door. All they do is read you your rights ("you dont have to say anything but if you do" bla bla bla) then they take your direct debit details and start the licence from that date
Lol, the TVLA have no powers at all, they well knock at your door but you don't have to speak to them and can in fact call the Police and and get them to move them as they are trespassing.

I don't pay the outdated TV licence either, its a myth they have detection equipment, for decades they have tried to blag them have mobile vans with advanced equipment in them when all they have is the ability to look through your window. All they can do is increase the threatograms they send you.

The law states that you only need to pay the TV licence if you receive a 'live broadcast' but most assume that you need one if you just own a TV, part of this comes from the fact that when you buy a new TV, you have to give you name and address, always give fake details.
Old 15 May 2009, 01:14 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

For a few months after moving to a new house, I didn't have a TV. I consequently ignored all the letters demanding a licence.

An enforcement officer chap came to my house and I let him in, as I had nothing to hide. He even looked in the bathroom to make sure I wasn't watching a telly in there.

He seemed genuinely disappointed to not find a TV. Probably affected his targets or something.

Trending Topics

Old 15 May 2009, 01:14 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

I reply to your recent enquiry . I do not require a television licence, and wish to state that I object strongly to the implication that I am one of those who require a search of their homes in order to satisfy your organization that they not lying to you and are in fact not breaking the law.

I appreciate your difficult position in this matter. It is not my intention to stop any investigations that you may wish to conduct regarding TV Licence evasion, however as I do not require a Licence, I do not expect to be repeatedly disturbed in the privacy of my home by unsolicited visits. I feel that it is reasonable for you to conduct any investigations using other means.
I was sure that in cases where you suspected people of breaking the Law you would use your very sophisticated, accurate and highly publicised detection equipment to avoid troubling those who are not breaking the Law.
I can see, by your letter that this is not the case, and you not only intend to continue to send insulting and accusatory letters, but also intend to continue to disturb me in my home with unnecessary visits. I must point out that there are many reasons why a citizen may not wish to allow total strangers access to their homes. One reason, in my case, is that I would wish to know exactly what type of person is trying to gain access to my property. These people do not wish to enter as a normal guest would, but to conduct a search of my premises.

I am aware of at least two of your employees, one Mr David Clark found guilty of assaulting one of your "customers", and two, Mr Richard John Llewellyn, who was found guilty on four counts of false accounting, (falsifying witness statements, and forging signatures), and one count of, " acts likely to pervert the cause of justice", all this whilst conducting your "business". I am aware also of many other complaints of a similar nature made against your employees/agents. I understand that you do not CRB check your employees/agents for convictions.

It is for this reason that I now formally withdraw any implied right of access to my property to yourselves, your employees, and any agents acting on your behalf. This being an instruction not to trespass, and not a request.

If you should trespass on my property after this notice, then I must warn you that I will not hesitate to call the local police to have you removed from the property.
If your employees/agents should trespass on my property it will be taken that they consent to be photographed and filmed whilst the trespass is taking place.
I further warn you that any such trespassers may be cautioned in line with Police and Criminal Evidence guidelines and be questioned as to why the trespass is taking place, a statement will be written from contemporaneous notes, and the statement may be given in evidence to obtain a Court injunction, in order to prevent further harassment by yourselves or your agents/employees. You will of course be expected to pay the costs for these proceedings.

Regarding my reluctance to communicate with your company. I remind you that I have no obligation under Law to communicate with your company. I draw your attention to "written answers" in Parliament on Monday 15-05-06, and a question that was asked regarding whether there was a legal requirement to communicate with your company, or not, ( TV Licensing being the trade mark of Capita PLC, who administer the collection of the TV licence fee.)

Shaun Woodward
Parliamentary Under-Secretary, Department for Culture, Media & Sport.
answered:

"A television licence is required to install or use a television receiver, as defined in regulations made by the Secretary of State, rather than a television set. Members of the public who do not require a television licence are under no obligation to inform TV Licensing of the fact."

I do not wish to enter into either protracted correspondence or conversations with you. I hope that you will appreciate that I am only communicating with you to avoid any unnecessary unpleasantness in the future.
After sending the above letter years ago I only ever got one more person knock at my door, me and my brother detained the bloke and called the police who was arrested at the scene, never heard from them again.

A few guys at work have taken out injunctions against the TVLA and the BBC
Old 15 May 2009, 01:17 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jerome
For a few months after moving to a new house, I didn't have a TV. I consequently ignored all the letters demanding a licence.

An enforcement officer chap came to my house and I let him in, as I had nothing to hide. He even looked in the bathroom to make sure I wasn't watching a telly in there.

He seemed genuinely disappointed to not find a TV. Probably affected his targets or something.
You do know you could out let in a murderer or rapist into your house? not joking either, they have not even had a CRB check!

Last edited by Dedrater; 15 May 2009 at 01:19 PM.
Old 15 May 2009, 01:20 PM
SCOsazOBY
Scooby Senior

They do read you your rights though as it is even written on the form they get you to sign.
I know of someone who never bothered to pay or answer the door and then one day the police turned up with a tv man and said pay the fine or get arrested.
Old 15 May 2009, 01:24 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

They do read you your rights though as it is even written on the form they get you to sign.
I know of someone who never bothered to pay or answer the door and then one day the police turned up with a tv man and said pay the fine or get arrested.
Read you what rights? You don't need to sign anything, they are probably just blagging you or making things up to seem important.

You can't get arrested for not paying your TV licence.
Old 15 May 2009, 01:32 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Do you watch Top Gear Dedrater?
Old 15 May 2009, 01:42 PM
SCOsazOBY
Scooby Senior

They read out a caution like what the police say to you. Then after you have given them your bank details you sign the form and keep a copy.
If you cant get arrested then why do the police turn up? (this wasnt me but someone i know)
Old 15 May 2009, 01:44 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dedrater
You do know you could out let in a murderer or rapist into your house? not joking either, they have not even had a CRB check!
Good point. But as someone who has successfully managed to get a Kirby vacuum cleaner saleman out of my house, a rapist or murderer should be easy to deal with.
Old 15 May 2009, 01:47 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

They read out a caution like what the police say to you. Then after you have given them your bank details you sign the form and keep a copy.
If you cant get arrested then why do the police turn up? (this wasnt me but someone i know)
This is a common tactic used by TVL for the most resistant of non-licence holders. They lie to the police saying they suspect a breach of the peace (or some other contrived bull) and ask them to attend the house visit.

People see the police in attendance and are supposed to be scared into complying with the enforcement officer. It usually works.
Old 15 May 2009, 03:34 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Clarebabes
Do you watch Top Gear Dedrater?
Not on a live broadcast no.
Old 15 May 2009, 03:39 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

I could come to your house and read you a 'caution', doesn't mean its relevant in UK law, I could then 'make' you give me your bank details (which is bad news in itself because these people could and have been convicted criminals) and as Jerome said, they can request the presence of the Police for many reasons (they normally lie and claim the occupant is violent etc)

Scare tactics, end of.
Old 15 May 2009, 03:41 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jerome
Good point. But as someone who has successfully managed to get a Kirby vacuum cleaner saleman out of my house, a rapist or murderer should be easy to deal with.
Old 15 May 2009, 04:05 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

it took around 12 months of letters for them to send somebody around, he left a note in the mail box outside, we paid that day

and when that ran out, we got around 8 months worth of letters before we paid the next time, nobody came around, the missus just decided to pay it one day, the next time around iirc we left it around 6-7 months pmsl

our tv licence works out cheap as hell

i have seen pretty much all ove the letters, and its intresting when you get the same letter, but signed from a new person, iirc i remember somebody 'michelle' that seamed to get promoted to a new job each time lol

she must have been local, as she was my local enforcement officer at one point, load of ****

Last edited by StickyMicky; 15 May 2009 at 04:07 PM.
Old 15 May 2009, 04:11 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

If you are saying there is no legal requirement to have one, but then like to watch programmes paid for by the licence, then is that not stealing? I watch alot of BBC programmes, some of them high quality, some of them online, some of them on live broadcast. If no one paid their licences, programmes such as Louis Theroux, Top Gear etc. would not be made.

So saying you don't pay and laughing about it, but then watching the programmes made with it is acceptable is it?
Old 15 May 2009, 04:26 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Clarebabes
If you are saying there is no legal requirement to have one, but then like to watch programmes paid for by the licence, then is that not stealing? I watch alot of BBC programmes, some of them high quality, some of them online, some of them on live broadcast. If no one paid their licences, programmes such as Louis Theroux, Top Gear etc. would not be made.

So saying you don't pay and laughing about it, but then watching the programmes made with it is acceptable is it?
To answer your last paragraph, for example BBCs Planet Earth, I didn't watch this on live broadcast, but went to a shop and bought the HD version on Bluray so I can watch it whenever I want.

The licence fee is outdated, every other channel can make quality programming using funding from other methods and most of the time its better than the BBC.
Old 15 May 2009, 10:16 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by HPLovecraft
Anyone had similair experiences ? Do you agree with having to pay the licence fee ?
If you have got a TV (which you use), then pay for a licence - if not then don't.

If you break the law then be prepared to accept the consequences!

Simple really - why ask ScoobyNet?

mb