Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

MP's expenses - can someone tell me why...

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2009, 06:06 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MP's expenses - can someone tell me why...

Sorry - truly boring I know but can someone explain why it is felt necessary to have this complex system of second homes etc.

Just give every MP his salary and for any MP with a constituency outside the M25 say, give him/her an extra £24k a year which equates to £2000 per month which should be adequate to rent a reasonable furnished pad within commuting distance of The House. THe MP is free to do what he likes with the money - rent, buy, pay for hotel when in town, whatever.

That's it though. Nothing else to be claimed.

Too simple?

dl
Old 14 May 2009, 06:13 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

One idea would be for the Government to lease a couple of decent hotels within a mile or so of Westminster and let MP's stay bed and breakfast for free when they are in London, any MP living in Greater London would just have to commute to work.
Would save a fortune and no extras.
Old 14 May 2009, 06:23 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Not sure about that. Some of the long distance MPs stay in London for 3 or 4 nights. Not sure it would be reasonable to expect them to stay in a hotel for several years mixed with fellow MPs? Boarding school all over again. dl
Old 14 May 2009, 06:52 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

David - That's pretty much what happens to those members of the military who are posted to work in central London (at MOD Main Building for example). You have a set amount of money (dependent upon rank) assigned to cover the rent of a flat, and a food allowance to account for the lack of subsidised messing.

All bills above those required for basic living (i.e. telephone, internet, TV Licence) must be met by the soldier/officer as they would be in normal mess/barrack/quarters accommodation.

I would imagine most other public services away from the military have similar, rigid, rules - except the politicians it seems..
Old 14 May 2009, 06:59 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

They should take over a block of the olympic village when it's done and move them in there.
Old 14 May 2009, 07:18 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Must be plenty of Barracks available.

In answer to the OP - it is complex because it is easier to hide wrong doing.
Old 14 May 2009, 07:20 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Not sure about that. Some of the long distance MPs stay in London for 3 or 4 nights. Not sure it would be reasonable to expect them to stay in a hotel for several years mixed with fellow MPs? Boarding school all over again. dl
It might be for 3 or 4 nights but i bet it wouldn't be the same every week, judging by how empty the house of commons is sometimes on TV! They are there to work, nothing else.
Why not just build or buy a block of flats specifically for MP's all kited out with the basic necessities, when they retire or lose there seat they give the keys back then there's no profiting.

Trending Topics

Old 14 May 2009, 07:28 PM
RyanSTI
Scooby Regular

why not make them live in barracks like the soliders do, with a wire bed, and a itchy blanket, then we'll see how much they want to serve the people.
Old 14 May 2009, 07:29 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by r32
One idea would be for the Government to lease a couple of decent hotels within a mile or so of Westminster and let MP's stay bed and breakfast for free when they are in London, any MP living in Greater London would just have to commute to work.
Would save a fortune and no extras.

An excellent idea. One target. Save on C4
Old 14 May 2009, 07:34 PM
darts_aint_sport
Scooby Regular

It's a fairly big security risk having a large amount of MPs stay in one or two hotels.

I think the OP's suggestion is pretty sensible.
Old 14 May 2009, 08:20 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Why don't the Government buy as many 'modest' houses as needed and loan them out to MPs as and when needed, this would work exactly how it is now, but is centrally managed and no MP ever profits.

No?
Old 14 May 2009, 10:11 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Barracks? Which central London barracks would these be???

I think you'll find Labour have flogged them all off at bargain prices to development companies I'm sure will have new, well salaried, board members in a few years time...
Old 14 May 2009, 11:00 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Prasius
Barracks? Which central London barracks would these be???
Wellington Barracks?
Old 15 May 2009, 09:03 AM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

move the entire shower of ******** to the midlands, and give them the average local rent if they aren't local enough.
There's no nead for them to be in London, at our expense, when the huge majority of people don't live there.
Old 15 May 2009, 09:50 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

There's a huge drive to bring government services out of London but it's not really working. We have some big public sector clients - all in the W1 area, all in offices that must cost a fortune, all having to commute from miles outside the City.
Seems a bit daft.

UKHO and Met Office have managed to move out but too many are still based in the City for no reason.
Old 15 May 2009, 09:57 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

The problem is some MPs (especially high profile or ministerial) live in London with their families and have a second home in their constituency. Nothing wrong with that of course.
Old 15 May 2009, 09:58 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
There's a huge drive to bring government services out of London but it's not really working. We have some big public sector clients - all in the W1 area, all in offices that must cost a fortune, all having to commute from miles outside the City.
Seems a bit daft.

UKHO and Met Office have managed to move out but too many are still based in the City for no reason.
Interestingly I'm currently working at large public body that controls transport in London . they have a stipulation all business done in England, preferably in London. they couldn't move it if they wanted to due to the unions.
Old 15 May 2009, 10:17 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

What I find truly staggering is that they seem able to claim things for their main family home...... What the **** has that got to do with working as an MP??

The "excuse" seems to be that the rules allow it. BUT THEY DON'T. The rules say that claims have to legitimate and associated with working as an MP. 99% of these claims should have been knocked back in the first place.

Thge Gov't of the day missed a big trick when County Hall was emptied some years ago. Ideal for refurbisment and reasonable accommodation within a short stroll of Westminster.

dl
Old 15 May 2009, 10:20 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Old 15 May 2009, 10:22 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

For any others that run their own show - it's galling how careful we have to be with expenses - any hint of a claim that's a bit suspect and it's very possible that you'll get investigated and done by the Revenue. Shame MPs don't seem to play by the same rules.

I do know some that really take the mickey though - highlights of people I know claiming are:

£600 dog, all food and vet bits - claimed as "security" (it's a soppy beagle!)
A £150k boat - client "entertainment"
A £300k flat - not sure what is was claimed as but he got done and had to pay about £150k to the Revenue.
Family holidays abroad - with one "business" visit so all claimed.
Old 15 May 2009, 03:22 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
That arrangement would probably suit a large number of them for that very reason!

Trouble is, they seem to have a vastly overinflated idea of their own importance anyway!

Les
Old 15 May 2009, 06:37 PM
pacenote
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Must be room in the tower of london to put a few of them up ( for good)
Old 15 May 2009, 06:40 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie

Trouble is, they seem to have a vastly overinflated idea of their own importance anyway!
I think that just about sums up the whole issue here.
I dont for a second think that everything they have in their second home should be "budget" or "value" but they take things to an extreme.

A lot could be learnt from the average people that work in London during the week, and return home at the weekends. Plenty of people do it regularly and im sure on a MUCH lower budget.
Old 16 May 2009, 09:22 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Just love the unintended hypocrisy here ... Bonus Culture: Treasury Select Committee Report Into Bank Pay Says Bonuses Encouraging Risk Taking | Business | Sky News

In this quote just substitute 'MPs' for 'bankers' ...

"... "We have a suspicion that many bankers remain unconvinced by the need for change," the report says. "(We) believe that once 'the storm dies down' it will be a case of 'business as usual'." ..." ....

Dave

quite!!

and as I said on an earlier thread -- Sir Fred Goodwin (remember him) must be laughing his fvcking **** off
Old 16 May 2009, 11:07 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The rules were conjured up as a back door method of increasing their salaries without us knowing about it.

Yet another indication of their endemic honesty-not!

Les