Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

The police's latest brainwave. Hats off to this one your muppets!

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2009, 01:53 AM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The police's latest brainwave. Hats off to this one your muppets!

Last edited by scrappydoo; 31 October 2009 at 01:21 PM.
Old 14 May 2009, 05:32 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

When I read it, I thought it was a spoofed p**s take. I mean, it is the Daily Mail.

But nope, its true: Police target people wearing too much 'bling' - Telegraph

Now personally I'm ok; I only wear stainless steel and platinum on show .

People seen wearing excessive amounts of jewellery, driving expensive cars, or buying luxury items, are being targeted.
Great. Now I will admit to 60% of being dressed like a cross between a homeless begger and swampy albeit with a nice watch and £50 trainers, whilst driving various flash cars (NSX, BMWs, Jag, Monaro, R32 etc). So now I could get shopped because I don't "look" rich enough to own/drive these cars on a legal legitimate income?!

Christ; I got pulled enough time driving a sh*tty Rover and Nissan Sunny as a city work hack due to police thinking the sheds were not taxed/insured/Mot'd etc.

Can't win

Last edited by ALi-B; 14 May 2009 at 05:35 AM.
Old 14 May 2009, 07:20 AM
Neoscooby
Scooby Regular

Dare I say it

'Shouldn't they be targeting real criminals instead'
Old 14 May 2009, 07:48 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neoscooby
Dare I say it

I believe they are targeting a lifestyle/look that is often connected with crime - from petty stuff upwards.

Will it work - time will tell.

Ali - re being stopped in sheds, the cops cannot win, shed are often not taxed/insured/roadworthy and the drivers may not even have a licence - it seems sensible to target this type of vehicle even if it does inconvenience some.
Old 14 May 2009, 08:08 AM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

I have to say I do understand where they are coming from, trying to target people such as drug dealers etc who are making huge ammounts of money driving flash cars etc but appear never to go to work etc, I don't think the poster or whatever it is puts the point accross very well at all though
Old 14 May 2009, 11:14 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B
When I read it, I thought it was a spoofed p**s take. I mean, it is the Daily Mail.

But nope, its true: Police target people wearing too much 'bling' - Telegraph

Now personally I'm ok; I only wear stainless steel and platinum on show .

Great. Now I will admit to 60% of being dressed like a cross between a homeless begger and swampy albeit with a nice watch and £50 trainers, whilst driving various flash cars (NSX, BMWs, Jag, Monaro, R32 etc). So now I could get shopped because I don't "look" rich enough to own/drive these cars on a legal legitimate income?!

Christ; I got pulled enough time driving a sh*tty Rover and Nissan Sunny as a city work hack due to police thinking the sheds were not taxed/insured/Mot'd etc.

Can't win

Nothing new there - I have been tugged at various times but the 2 with relevance are

1) Driving a BMW2002 in the late 80s - "..because you look like a student and students don't drive BMWs"

2) Yr old Audi Coupe in the 80s - "..because you look to you too young to afford to drive that"

Old 14 May 2009, 12:36 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

Which labour inspired quango on a bout 200k a year thought this load of tripe up?

All the scallies round here have lots of bling and 150 trainers, are they going to stop every one?

"bling" isnt even that expensive, a lad i know has a massive gold chain round his neck, it looks well expensive but it was 250 from a local **** shop!

Why oh why cant they just get bcak to normal policing, is it cos that would take effort?

I know a couple of unsavoury types, and the flash cars and houses are not in their names so they cant be taken as proceeds of crime, i kinow one lad with an 07 plate merc thats in his girlfiends name, she is a RMN so earns a fair bit, he doesnt work or claim benefits. If he ever gets caught, he will do time, but they cant take away anything at all cos its not in his name, right down to the 50 inch plasma and 3k reclining couch, it was bought on mrs credit card and paid off the next day with cash from under his mattress!

What is it with getting people to grass on each other annonymously, it leads to malicious claims and wasted police time. The granny up the road is forever phoning the crimestoppers line, everyone knows its her, some people i know have had vists from police cos the deranged old bat thinks anything and everything is suspicious! then she wonders why her windows are put in?

Annonymous claims are open to people abusing the system, i know one old woman who had a spat with her neighbour cos she had 3 cars in her house and next door had 1, and she wanted somewhere to park car 3, but next door said pissoff we only have one car the space is ours, next week the door was kicked off by a drugs squad at 5 i the morning and they ransacked the house, destroying everything (with no obligation to put it right). When the occupant asked why they kicked the door in, he was told that a neighbour had told the police he was dealing drugs ( dumb thing for a copper to say), i wonder who that was?

Bitches 3rd car was in flames 2 days later, and it cooked car 2 badly as well!

My point is, vindictive tw@s will abuse the annonymous system, safe in the knowledge that the trail wont lead back to them, and its usually old people with **** all to do who think they are helping the community. there isnt a "community" anymore, its not like it was 50 years ago when you could leave your doors unlocked all day, and your neighbours were your friends, all they do is alienate themselves amd make themsleves targets. the sooner these curtain twitchers die, the better.

Its about time the police stopped expecting us to their jobs for them, and actually did something positive, instead of pissing off normal folk all the time with half baked, bollocks ideas!

Another example of why all coppers are *******!: razz:
Old 14 May 2009, 01:07 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8WRX
"bling" isnt even that expensive, a lad i know has a massive gold chain round his neck, it looks well expensive but it was 250 from a local **** shop!
**** shops sell bling now?
Old 14 May 2009, 01:11 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

Originally Posted by Boro
**** shops sell bling now?
oops, wrong type of ****, i meant pawn!
Old 14 May 2009, 01:14 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Its the stuff of bad dreams.

Les
Old 14 May 2009, 02:08 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

I agree with this in part, when you see 100k motors outside 60k houses with the owners on Job seekers etc, in some parts of the North you have to think somethings going on that needs looking at.
Old 14 May 2009, 02:31 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

I cant see an issue with it, If you listen to the full article (I cant find the play again link) and not the mail sound bite it made perfect sense.
The mail has taken the little bit they wanted, Inflated the importance of that bit and made a story out of it.
Its the same as a report saying "the suspect is IC1, 5'10" with a black dog" and the mail saying police look to arrest all white men with dogs.

Plus....!!! If you work in a factory and you have a rolex on how the hell did you pay for it? If your on the dole and you have a 911 how are you running that car? People that live like this doing cash jobs and claiming benefits they shouldnt are only ripping off tax payers, And god knows if we can try and stop people doing that it must be a good thing, seems everyone is at it now days.
Old 14 May 2009, 04:09 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Its about time the police stopped expecting us to their jobs for them, and actually did something positive, instead of pissing off normal folk all the time with half baked, bollocks ideas!

Another example of why all coppers are *******!:Whatever
You really have no idea how it works do you...?

If you want, we will ignore the public when they tell us things, allow the criminal scroungers to stock pile cars, tv's & 4 holidays a year safe in the knowledge that no-one can take anything from them.
Old 14 May 2009, 04:16 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neoscooby
Dare I say it

They already do. Motorists. The most heinous criminal there is.
Old 14 May 2009, 04:17 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

To be fair Felix, I think the general public are assuming that the police have their eyes on these things anyway, without the need for it to be brought to their attention from non-police sources. Besides, the stupidity of the majority of criminals with regard to displays of wealth is usually their own undoing, irrespective of information gathered from the general public.
Old 14 May 2009, 04:35 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

But the more information - the better.

Some ******* won't wear their wealth, but have a house full of it, or have 4-5 houses, or become loan sharks and spread their money about.

The good thing about the legislation is that if it is siezed, its up to them to prove where it has come from.

And yes - these are the real criminals who we are targeting - drug dealers, burglars, fraudsters, terrorists
Old 14 May 2009, 04:50 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Haven't caught the ****** who burgled my house despite the dog having a bloody good chunk of him and him leaving claret everywhere. Despite also being given a name from an eye witness. I mean what more do you F*cking want!!!!

No i'm sorry but the police are as bad as bent greedy politicians lately.

Somebody needs to be voted in a review the bloody lot!!

I grew up with a healthy respect for the law ( Dad was a prison officer) I also abide by it.
However the attitude of every copper I've dealt with over the last couple of years has been appauling. Felix if you are on here defending the sh*te that is collectively known as the police service forget it.

The law is **** about face in this country. A bloke breaks into a house and gets a good hiding. Suddenly its not the burgler that's priority one it's the guy that gave him a hiding.

As soon as the police change their priorities and go after the people that actually commit crimes rather than joe public going anbout their daily business or rightfully protecting whats theirs the sooner the public will have a slightly more favourable opinion of them.

Schemes like this bollocks just shows that they haven't got a grip on what's really happening out there.

It's down to officers like your good self to sort this sh*t out not the clueless chief constable who's too busy planning his next round of golf.

Last edited by dazdavies; 14 May 2009 at 04:52 PM.
Old 14 May 2009, 05:05 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dazdavies
Haven't caught the ****** who burgled my house despite the dog having a bloody good chunk of him and him leaving claret everywhere. Despite also being given a name from an eye witness. I mean what more do you F*cking want!!!!.
If he is not on the DNA database - we have no ID for him. Police wanted everyone on it but the public objected. Did the eye witness provide a statement, is the person currently wanted or is he on the run.....

The law is **** about face in this country. A bloke breaks into a house and gets a good hiding. Suddenly its not the burgler that's priority one it's the guy that gave him a hiding.
Who told you this.... You have the right to defend your self, you property and to apprehend the villan. To say that we will lock up the victim is just bollox unless he ended up killing the burglar.

Schemes like this bollocks just shows that they haven't got a grip on what's really happening out there..
This is where all the proceeds from crime (burglaries) goes to. They steal from you and sell it on to these people. We now raid their houses and take back the money and gain intell on where it came from.
Old 14 May 2009, 05:13 PM
SteveScooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MJW
To be fair Felix, I think the general public are assuming that the police have their eyes on these things anyway, without the need for it to be brought to their attention from non-police sources. .

To a certain extent we do, I know full well that a lad on my patch driving round in a brand new Evo is a drug dealer. But me knowing it is not enough for a magistrate to give us a warrant to smash his door in unfortunately.
Old 14 May 2009, 05:36 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jerome
They already do. Motorists. The most heinous criminal there is.
1st post on here ever so thought ide comment on this , we all blame plod for targeting motorists and i am one of em but do people ever stop to think that plod are after all only puppets and are only doing as they are told .. it come from the top boys n girls shaft the motorist they are easy prey . with todays modern tech plod have no reason to stop you at all unless they feel like it they have computers in all traffic cars so they know whether you have road tax insurance and licence , last time i was stopped for no reason i was asked good evening sir out a bit late arnt we , i said no i needed smokes . he then asked me if i had had a drink this evening to which i replied yes . HIS EYES LIT UP and he proceeded to bag me . after blowing zero he asked me how much i had had to drink I REPLIED WITH A BIG SMILE 3 CUPS OF COFFEE . WISHED I HAD A CAMERA THE LOOK ON HIS FACE WAS SUPERB LMFAO
Old 14 May 2009, 05:44 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Felix.
If he is not on the DNA database - we have no ID for him. Police wanted everyone on it but the public objected. Did the eye witness provide a statement, is the person currently wanted or is he on the run.....

Who told you this.... You have the right to defend your self, you property and to apprehend the villan. To say that we will lock up the victim is just bollox unless he ended up killing the burglar.

This is where all the proceeds from crime (burglaries) goes to. They steal from you and sell it on to these people. We now raid their houses and take back the money and gain intell on where it came from.
DEFEND YOUR PROPERTY ILE GIVE YOU A LAUGH on this one 4doors round the corner from me bloke comes home to find a ****** in his hallway . calls next door who are ex marines and captures the little peice of ****e . holds him down in hallway and phones plod // plod arrive 25minutes later at scene which is a 12-15 minute walk on foot from barnstaple police station .OUTSTANDING SERVICE JUST WHAT WE PAY COUNCIL TAX FOR this is true it was in our local paper oh and this was 5.30 at night not 3am. i expect our local plod were to busy on the a361 with the speed cameras catching people going home from work
Old 14 May 2009, 05:47 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by madscoob
1st post on here ever so thought ide comment on this , we all blame plod for targeting motorists and i am one of em but do people ever stop to think that plod are after all only puppets and are only doing as they are told .. it come from the top boys n girls shaft the motorist they are easy prey . with todays modern tech plod have no reason to stop you at all unless they feel like it they have computers in all traffic cars so they know whether you have road tax insurance and licence , last time i was stopped for no reason i was asked good evening sir out a bit late arnt we , i said no i needed smokes . he then asked me if i had had a drink this evening to which i replied yes . HIS EYES LIT UP and he proceeded to bag me . after blowing zero he asked me how much i had had to drink I REPLIED WITH A BIG SMILE 3 CUPS OF COFFEE . WISHED I HAD A CAMERA THE LOOK ON HIS FACE WAS SUPERB LMFAO
What are you talking about.

We are not told to shaft motorists - they are pretty good at doing this to themselves, mobile phones, seat belts, knackered cars, bald tyres.... etc. The only people that target motorists are traffic police - and if you have not done anything wrong, then why worry.

And if you think we should not be seeing if people are drink driving - then you are mad.

Also, what information do you think the police computers hold to justify not stopping the car in the first place....?
Old 14 May 2009, 05:50 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Normal coppers do target motorists as well

My first set of 3 points were given to me by a normal police man, who said i was driving up a steep bank behind him, over 30 mph

no traffic car, no speed equipment, just some jumped up arsehole who was having a bad day, in fact the bell end had to get on the radio to his mate to drop off the paperwork as he had none in the car (iirc it was a yellow form?)
Old 14 May 2009, 05:52 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by madscoob
DEFEND YOUR PROPERTY ILE GIVE YOU A LAUGH on this one 4doors round the corner from me bloke comes home to find a ****** in his hallway . calls next door who are ex marines and captures the little peice of ****e . holds him down in hallway and phones plod // plod arrive 25minutes later at scene which is a 12-15 minute walk on foot from barnstaple police station .OUTSTANDING SERVICE JUST WHAT WE PAY COUNCIL TAX FOR this is true it was in our local paper oh and this was 5.30 at night not 3am. i expect our local plod were to busy on the a361 with the speed cameras catching people going home from work
Do you think we have someone sat in the station at all times just in case....????

We are busy. We have a job que of about 150 jobs, not to mention the emergency calls and the ongoing enquiries to tackle. You phone in and we will get there as soon as we can. And remember the public don't want us driving at speeds anymore, so it may take a bit longer.
Old 14 May 2009, 05:53 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

I remember the days when police investigated a crime, caught the people who commited it, went to trial and they got locked up.

Now it seems to have shifted to targeting people, trying to fit them with a crime, giving them a caution and letting them go.

Bonkers ..............
Old 14 May 2009, 05:55 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

What are you talking about.

We are not told to shaft motorists - they are pretty good at doing this to themselves, mobile phones, seat belts, knackered cars, bald tyres.... etc. The only people that target motorists are traffic police - and if you have not done anything wrong, then why worry.

And if you think we should not be seeing if people are drink driving - then you are mad.

Also, what information do you think the police computers hold to justify not stopping the car in the first place....?
oh come on how stupid do you think the public are traffic know before they stop us . insurance database , dvla . this can all be done on the move whilst following the victim . if these checks were done i wouldnt have been stopped as i have insurance tax and mot oh and they would also of known that i am diabetic so therefore cant drink copious amounts of booze. they just stopped be because it was early hours and i drive a scoob
Old 14 May 2009, 05:56 PM
greenonedave
Scooby Regular

what a screwed up idea to basically bugger up our comunity, everybody being encouraged to watch and grass up their neighbours, it seems that the police should start being policepeople and actually do something. wasnt it **** germany where people where encouraged to keep an eye on their neighbours,( toe the party line ) just so sad
Old 14 May 2009, 05:57 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

oops, wrong type of ****, i meant pawn!
methinks he protesteth too much sir. do those "pawn" shops you frequent sell big tartan coloured flasks perchance?
Old 14 May 2009, 05:59 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Do you think we have someone sat in the station at all times just in case....????

We are busy. We have a job que of about 150 jobs, not to mention the emergency calls and the ongoing enquiries to tackle. You phone in and we will get there as soon as we can. And remember the public don't want us driving at speeds anymore, so it may take a bit longer.
THIS WAS 5.30 TEATIME NOT 5.30 AM sorry didnt realise our local station was part timers now due to the credit crunch , strange though my council tax has still gone up
Old 14 May 2009, 05:59 PM
yoza
BANNED

I think its a bit of a retarded revamp of the old..."Living beyond your means."

How they will catch proper criminals driving 80 grand cars and living the high life is hard for the Police as it involves real work.

Anyway the Police fall at the first hurdle, because any criminal with an ounce of brain matter will own a sunbed shop or nail salon, the fact that nobody ever uses them is irrelevant, they still turn over 15grand a week.

Quick Reply: The police's latest brainwave. Hats off to this one your muppets!