Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Road Tax Disc

Search this Thread

Old 04 May 2009, 01:22 AM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Tax Disc

My mate has forgotten to renew his tax disc that ran out at the end of the month as he's been off work sick.

He hasn't driven the car since it ran out but he hasn't declared it sorn'd either. How does he stand in terms of getting it sorted ? Should he just go online but would the fuzz tug him for not displaying it whilst he waits for it to arrive in the post ?

Is his best bet to get a lift to a PO on Tuesday and physically get it, that way ?

Will he incur some kind of automatic penalty even though he didn't drive it ? Looked on the dvla website but I couldn't find any info to advise him.

Last edited by Fabioso; 04 May 2009 at 01:25 AM.
Old 04 May 2009, 01:37 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

If he renews online, it automatically shows on the database that it's been renewed, therefore it won't show up to the police as un-taxed.

If he does get stopped for anything else and they notice, all he needs to tell them is that it's in the post, which will be confirmed by the database.
Old 04 May 2009, 01:43 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

What if you don't tax or SORN your vehicle : Directgov - Motoring

Could do it online and carry a print-out of the receipt, but probably better to go get it Tuesday. Probably going to get a fine though, as car owners are considered worse than terrorists and paedophiles these days, or at least their wallets are easier to rape anyway
Old 04 May 2009, 06:09 AM
falkster
Scooby Regular

I wouldnt worry too much about it. He can drive down to the post office and pick up his new disc. The police are usually ok for a bit but if you're clearly taking the p**s and its been out of tax for a good couple of weeks then the car might be cubed!
I had this happen when I'd bought a car that had no tax but had to wait until insurance cert. came through and it was a week after I had the car before I could tax it.
Old 04 May 2009, 07:17 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Since SORN arrived the Police are out of the loop, with fines being automatically imposed as soon as tax expires. I'm not aware of any period of grace, but 7 days would be fair. The tax office has never been known for fairness however.
Old 04 May 2009, 11:34 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Lets say for instance someone moved house 20 months ago, the first time their tax renewal reminder came through the post they still had their mail forwarding set up. Fast forward 12 months, the mail forwarding has since stopped as they thought they'd changed everything of importance. Convinced the tax runs out end of April, not worried that the reminder hasn't come through (tax office probably waiting to see what happens in the budget). Gets to a week before 1st May, neighbour says "you know your tax disk ran out in March?", hurridly goes online to register for a tax disk. You have to use the doc code on the V5, all goes through fine.
a week later and no tax disk in the post. Goes back to check online, now notices upon opening the V5, although he filled out the change of address he hasn't sent it off. Drives round to old house, tax disk was delivered there.
How much in the poop would this person be in? The people at the old house were just chucking any mail (they say hardly any goes there now) straight into the recycling rather than returning to sender.
The new tax disk was post dated back to end of March.
All theoretical of course....
Old 04 May 2009, 11:52 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Just tax the car ASAP. Either on line or at the post office
on Tuesday.

Les