Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Has it really been 15 years?

Search this Thread

Old 01 May 2009, 07:45 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has it really been 15 years?

Since Senna died. I remember it like yesterday, what a racer that man was.

This is worth a watch.

BBC SPORT | Motorsport | Formula 1
Old 01 May 2009, 08:04 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Certainly one of those occassions when I remember exactly what I was doing and where I was.

At the time I was no great fan of his, but you have to admire what he did in a car and how driven he was. A shame we never saw Shuey and him really race together properly.
Old 01 May 2009, 08:10 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Good post - can remember it myself as vividly as if it was yesterday. What a driver! What a sad loss.
Old 01 May 2009, 08:27 AM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

Is it me, or am I only one who really didnt rate him ? Looking at quotes / race wins / etc, I was surprised to see that there where others that had won more, driven better.

I prefer M. Schummacher.

Obviously its a shame he died, but I didnt rate him.

Just my opinion and no doubt Im going to get `done` for this.

SBK
Old 01 May 2009, 08:30 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was never a big fan of his MO, but what a great, what a charismatic talent.
I guess I loved to hate him and loved him at the same time.
I am sure I was not alone.
Adieu.
Old 01 May 2009, 10:13 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon K
Is it me, or am I only one who really didnt rate him ? Looking at quotes / race wins / etc, I was surprised to see that there where others that had won more, driven better.
He was IMO the best driver in terms of car control and sheer speed that there has ever been.

Schumacher is the more complete racing driver, but even he I don't think had Ayrton's raw abaility behind the wheel. So very close, but not quite.
Old 01 May 2009, 10:42 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

one of the best races to demonstrate his ability was the donnington gp where he started 6th on the grid in an uncomptitive car. It was raining and spray restricted visibility. After lap 1 he was 2nd, after lap 2 he had a large lead.... That is talent!
Old 01 May 2009, 10:49 AM
cossie-nutter
Scooby Regular

He has awesome skills without a doubt! Tragic loss!
Old 01 May 2009, 11:15 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by warrenm2
one of the best races to demonstrate his ability was the donnington gp where he started 6th on the grid in an uncomptitive car. It was raining and spray restricted visibility. After lap 1 he was 2nd, after lap 2 he had a large lead.... That is talent!
Actually he did them in in the first lap.

YouTube - Ayrton Senna - Donnington Park, 1993

YouTube - Donington 1993 - First Lap (ENGLISH SUBTITLES)
Old 01 May 2009, 11:24 AM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Shumacher did not have the competition Senna had, Mansell and Prost were great drivers and Senna in the wet made them look slow. If Scumacher had a 10-15 second lead he would take it easy to finish the race Senna would stretch it to 20 seconds to prove a point.
Old 01 May 2009, 11:31 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Had Senna not died, and gone on, he would have been made look average by Shumacher.

He died a sportsman, doing what made him rich. RIP.
Old 01 May 2009, 11:47 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

He was the best of his era, but I think Schey was the next generation of drivers. Senna was always a pleasure to watch.

I rememeber exactly where I was, what I was doing and the reaction of everyone on TV when it happened. Still cant believe millions watched such a legend die, live on TV.
Old 01 May 2009, 11:49 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by warrenm2
He started 4th on the grid, and dropped back to 5th.....I've seen quotes about 6th before, but it looks like 5th with my eyes.
Old 01 May 2009, 03:52 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

He was an outstanding driver by all counts. It is never possible to compare drivers from different era's anyway. We shall never know if he could have outdriven Schumacher or not. He was able to make the very best of the cars he was driving at the time.

I very much enjoyed watching those clips and they also served to remind me what a good commentator Murray Walker was, his ability and knowledge of his subject was second to none. A man who always did his homework and it was also very much apparent. It also showed what a good team he and James Hunt were.

Les
Old 01 May 2009, 06:18 PM
miff13
Scooby Regular

I can't believe it's 15 years ago.

I remember seeing poor Roland Ratzenberger dying the day before Senna, and being surprised at the lack of fuss being made over his death; I commented to a friend how I bet more fuss would be made if it was Senna who crashed, felt so spooky the next day when he did.

RIP Senna and Ratzenberger.
Old 01 May 2009, 06:40 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

It was a very bad weekend indeed. Barrichello also had a massive accident, but he was very lucky indeed and survived. Alas Roland and Ayrton were not so lucky.

If I recall, Ayrton was rather shook up at Roland's death, and to honor him, he had a furled Austrian flag in his car, which, had he won, he would have displayed, sadly he never got the chance.
Old 01 May 2009, 06:43 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
It was a very bad weekend indeed. Barrichello also had a massive accident, but he was very lucky indeed and survived. Alas Roland and Ayrton were not so lucky.

If I recall, Ayrton was rather shook up at Roland's death, and to honor him, he had a furled Austrian flag in his car, which, had he won, he would have displayed, sadly he never got the chance.
Yup was a shocking weekend, I remember that all very well.
Also remember that apparently Senna had said, apparently for the first time ever, he did not want to race as it felt bad..........

I just remember Murray Walker being silent, you knew instantly he was not walking away. The cameras walking down the pits and everyone walking about in complete shock.
Old 01 May 2009, 06:58 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

I remember the day it happened as well - I didn't watch the race as I was on Dartmoor doing a 'Ten Tors' training walk with the scouts, but as some of the teams of walkers obviously had been listening to the race on the radio, word slowly got round.

The safety of F1 cars has come on a long way, but you still see wheels flying off quite often, and that's what killed Senna at the end of the day.
Old 01 May 2009, 07:02 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Yes, it was the arm that connects the wheel that went in his head.

A bit grim, If you check out some of the you tube footage of the incident the amount of blood about is shocking. He was clearly never going to survive.

It was also the year after lots of changes had been made to the cars such as taking away traction control so made the cars harder to drive.....some felt that accidents would happen.
Old 01 May 2009, 07:18 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davyboy
Yes, it was the arm that connects the wheel that went in his head.

A bit grim, If you check out some of the you tube footage of the incident the amount of blood about is shocking. He was clearly never going to survive.

Eeeek, not nice. Have never seen any "clear "footage of the accident, not close enough to see a detail like that anyway.
Sad to think that he survived the initial impact, only to be hit like that.

PS, its only watching footage now that I have realised Hamilton has very similar helmet colours. Im an armchair fan so dont verbally beat me please.

Last edited by Snazy; 01 May 2009 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01 May 2009, 08:35 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

i remember it too -- was surfing in Hawaii -- John Smith (Labour Leader) died the day we got back
Old 01 May 2009, 11:13 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
Eeeek, not nice. Have never seen any "clear "footage of the accident, not close enough to see a detail like that anyway.
Sad to think that he survived the initial impact, only to be hit like that.

PS, its only watching footage now that I have realised Hamilton has very similar helmet colours. Im an armchair fan so dont verbally beat me please.
I'd suggest the initial impact caused the wheel arm to pierce his helmet, so he didn't really survive any impact. Once the wheel hit the wall the connecting arm/rod went it to his head.

I think I read that Hamilton has said he based the yellow helmet on Senna, although don't quote me on that.
Old 03 May 2009, 02:21 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FlightMan
Since Senna died. I remember it like yesterday, what a racer that man was.

This is worth a watch.

BBC SPORT | Motorsport | Formula 1
Unfortunately so!

Remember that day too well!
Old 03 May 2009, 02:33 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davyboy
I'd suggest the initial impact caused the wheel arm to pierce his helmet, so he didn't really survive any impact. Once the wheel hit the wall the connecting arm/rod went it to his head.

I think I read that Hamilton has said he based the yellow helmet on Senna, although don't quote me on that.
Ouch I was not sure if anything like that happened at impact, only ever heard about the wheel and bits hitting him.

Horrid seeing him sitting there lifeless and people working so hard, hoping

Hamilton apparently idolised Senna, so it would be a fitting tribute. Im sure its no coincidence

However Wiki says the following
Due to the fact that Hamilton has said in the past that Ayrton Senna was his hero, some people assumed that his helmet is yellow in honour of him.[93] In actuality it was made yellow so that his father could tell which kart his son was driving back in his karting days. Hamilton chose the colours blue, green and red and they were originally in a ribbon design however Hamilton later felt that the design was "a bit old hat" so it was changed. In later years a white ring was added and the ribbons moved forward to make room for adverts and logos