Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Insurance - advice required

Search this Thread

Old 30 April 2009, 05:31 PM
ricardo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance - advice required

Just over a year ago my son had a relatively minor accident in his car - in traffic he collided with the rear corner of a van. the claim went through, he paid the excess and the car was fixed up.

Today there was a letter on the mat along the following lines:

"Due to the failure of your insurers to resolve our client's claim it has become necessary to issue legal proceedings against you for the recovery of our clients losses. You will shortly receive a County Court Summons."

This is from some solicitors representing the van company.

Is this normal ? It seems a bit odd that they think they can sue a student for the money just because they aren't happy with the result they are getting from his insurance company. Nothing about the circumstances of the claim is in dispute, it went down as a 'fault' claim and I thought it was closed.

I can't see a court making him pay whatever losses the van company seems to think they have got, the insurance is there to pay that...

Anybody familiar with this sort of thing ?
Old 30 April 2009, 05:34 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

My first thought is to see if you have legal cover on the insurance and if so, pass this onto the legal department of your insurance company. A claim was made and was processed, it's not your (Well your son) problem that your insurance company didn't resolve the claim, it's for the insurance companies to sort out.
Old 30 April 2009, 05:47 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Contact your son's insurers, and send them the letter. Do not respond to it an any other way.

It sounds very much like they are trying to scam you. If you were going to get a county court summons, you'd have got one, not a warning letter
Old 30 April 2009, 05:53 PM
ricardo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tanyatriangles
Contact your son's insurers, and send them the letter. Do not respond to it an any other way.

It sounds very much like they are trying to scam you. If you were going to get a county court summons, you'd have got one, not a warning letter
It does give me the impression that in whatever dispute they've got with the settlement they are now using scare tactics. Son has been trying to get through to the insurers to ask them what to do - on hold for 20 minutes so far....
Old 30 April 2009, 06:30 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

I would have expected your insurer to tell you no resolution was reached, if indeed they were dealing with the claim.

As above, forward to the insurer and not to the sender of the letter.

I have to admit though I am having a similar issue with a travel claim at the mo. Hospital contacted me to say no claim agreed, I contacted the insurer and sure enough its not settled yet, but they had not bothered to tell me. Muppets.