Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Wall Street (the film, not the financial district)

Search this Thread

Old 29 April 2009, 01:39 PM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wall Street (the film, not the financial district)

Michael Douglas is reprising his role as Gordon Ghekko in sequel to the 1987 classic Wall Street (which he won a best actor Oscar for).

Can't wait for this - the first one was a great film
Old 29 April 2009, 01:44 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Lunch is for whimps
Old 29 April 2009, 01:44 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Dont think Ive seen the original. I'll take a wander over to IMDB and see what on earth you are waffling on about
Old 29 April 2009, 01:47 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Looking forward to this too. Never new they were making another.
Old 29 April 2009, 02:01 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
Dont think Ive seen the original. I'll take a wander over to IMDB and see what on earth you are waffling on about
Dave I've not seen this either and my parents had it in there video shop years ago, I suppose I was probably too young to understand it. I wonder how it's aged?
Old 29 April 2009, 02:07 PM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

Now there's a limited career, running a video shop. Blockbuster, satilite, peer to peer distroyed that market.

I loved Wall Street, a real 80's, porsche driving, yuppy hating film :-)

SBK
Old 29 April 2009, 02:14 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon K
Now there's a limited career, running a video shop. Blockbuster, satilite, peer to peer distroyed that market.

I loved Wall Street, a real 80's, porsche driving, yuppy hating film :-)

SBK
It was in the 80's and early 90's before Blockbuster the shop is long gone now
Old 29 April 2009, 03:59 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Small world - just getting some art work up in my office. Not going with the same old "Perfection" "Effort" motivational nonsense.....instead i have Raiders of the Lost Ark, All the Presidents Men and just ordering the below in 6ft X 3ft form

The entire "greed, for want of a better word" speech!

Not sure about the new flick though...Loeb writting it and the Transformers kid in it??? Having dodged Basic Instinct 2 i hope Douglas knows what he's doing!

Last edited by Tiggs; 29 April 2009 at 04:06 PM.
Old 29 April 2009, 04:06 PM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

Nice office. Only artwork on my office walls is a naff landscape photography calendar!

PS: you do realize that GG was not a real person...
PPS: could they still shoehorn the old codger into a Porsche?
Old 29 April 2009, 04:09 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Not my office...thats the poster firms advert pic (My office is less...white!)

GG not real???? Only reason i went to school was so i could be like him when i grew up!
Old 29 April 2009, 05:23 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Gekko:

Well, I appreciate the opportunity you're giving me, Mr. Cromwell, as the single largest shareholder in Teldar Paper, to speak.

Well, ladies and gentlemen, we're not here to indulge in fantasy, but in political and economic reality. America, America has become a second-rate power. Its trade deficit and its fiscal deficit are at nightmare proportions. Now, in the days of the free market, when our country was a top industrial power, there was accountability to the stockholder. The Carnegies, the Mellons, the men that built this great industrial empire, made sure of it because it was their money at stake. Today, management has no stake in the company!

All together, these men sitting up here [Teldar management] own less than 3 percent of the company. And where does Mr. Cromwell put his million-dollar salary? Not in Teldar stock; he owns less than 1 percent.

You own the company. That's right -- you, the stockholder.

And you are all being royally screwed over by these, these bureaucrats, with their steak lunches, their hunting and fishing trips, their corporate jets and golden parachutes.

Cromwell: This is an outrage! You're out of line, Gekko!

Gekko: Teldar Paper, Mr. Cromwell, Teldar Paper has 33 different vice presidents, each earning over 200 thousand dollars a year. Now, I have spent the last two months analyzing what all these guys do, and I still can't figure it out. One thing I do know is that our paper company lost 110 million dollars last year, and I'll bet that half of that was spent in all the paperwork going back and forth between all these vice presidents.

The new law of evolution in corporate America seems to be survival of the unfittest. Well, in my book you either do it right or you get eliminated.

In the last seven deals that I've been involved with, there were 2.5 million stockholders who have made a pretax profit of 12 billion dollars. Thank you.

I am not a destroyer of companies. I am a liberator of them!

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that greed -- for lack of a better word -- is good.

Greed is right.

Greed works.

Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.

Greed, in all of its forms -- greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge -- has marked the upward surge of mankind.

And greed -- you mark my words -- will not only save Teldar Paper, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA.

Thank you very much.
Old 29 April 2009, 06:08 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rossyboy
Gekko:

Well, I appreciate the opportunity you're giving me, Mr. Cromwell, as the single largest shareholder in Teldar Paper, to speak.

Well, ladies and gentlemen, we're not here to indulge in fantasy, but in political and economic reality. America, America has become a second-rate power. Its trade deficit and its fiscal deficit are at nightmare proportions. Now, in the days of the free market, when our country was a top industrial power, there was accountability to the stockholder. The Carnegies, the Mellons, the men that built this great industrial empire, made sure of it because it was their money at stake. Today, management has no stake in the company!

All together, these men sitting up here [Teldar management] own less than 3 percent of the company. And where does Mr. Cromwell put his million-dollar salary? Not in Teldar stock; he owns less than 1 percent.

You own the company. That's right -- you, the stockholder.

And you are all being royally screwed over by these, these bureaucrats, with their steak lunches, their hunting and fishing trips, their corporate jets and golden parachutes.

Cromwell: This is an outrage! You're out of line, Gekko!

Gekko: Teldar Paper, Mr. Cromwell, Teldar Paper has 33 different vice presidents, each earning over 200 thousand dollars a year. Now, I have spent the last two months analyzing what all these guys do, and I still can't figure it out. One thing I do know is that our paper company lost 110 million dollars last year, and I'll bet that half of that was spent in all the paperwork going back and forth between all these vice presidents.

The new law of evolution in corporate America seems to be survival of the unfittest. Well, in my book you either do it right or you get eliminated.

In the last seven deals that I've been involved with, there were 2.5 million stockholders who have made a pretax profit of 12 billion dollars. Thank you.

I am not a destroyer of companies. I am a liberator of them!

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that greed -- for lack of a better word -- is good.

Greed is right.

Greed works.

Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.

Greed, in all of its forms -- greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge -- has marked the upward surge of mankind.

And greed -- you mark my words -- will not only save Teldar Paper, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA.

Thank you very much.
Great speech.

But how wrong it's proved to be!

Greed has screwed the world economy, and made a few GG type characters very rich indeed.
Old 29 April 2009, 10:25 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FlightMan
But how wrong it's proved to be!

Greed has screwed the world economy, and made a few GG type characters very rich indeed.

Hardly - in our development over the last 100 years the economy's problems are a very small dip in a graph of upwards development. Are cars a failure because people die?

If there weren't greedy people we'd still be in caves.
Old 29 April 2009, 11:41 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tiggs
Hardly - in our development over the last 100 years the economy's problems are a very small dip in a graph of upwards development. Are cars a failure because people die?

If there weren't greedy people we'd still be in caves.
Capitalism makes the world go round, contrary to what the lefties say.