Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Interior designers

Search this Thread

Old 21 April 2009, 08:25 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior designers

This is a bit of strange question for snet but...

I only know a few people who have ever used an interior designer and they all seemed to want to sell their clients stuff, from curtains to furniture.
Do interior designers ever just advice ie what colours/ schemes/layouts etc

Thanks
Old 21 April 2009, 08:52 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

They should do whatever you ask them to do if you're paying.
Old 21 April 2009, 08:59 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Deep, have you ever made a decision on your own?
Old 21 April 2009, 09:40 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davyboy
Two possible answers to your question

1) Yes. I've decided your post is unhelpful

2) Not sure, what's your opinion on the matter?

To be serious though, you don't know the background to the question and so are being a little presumptive
Old 21 April 2009, 10:31 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

I have in the past but it rarely works.

Typically people i've advised have not had the vision required to design the room in question. If I supply a design for colour styles etc they generally can't see how it will look when completed, if they could they probably would have designed the room themselves. They then feel dissapointed by the process, especially if it's not been executed by the decorators properly. Moving the odd thing can help, but again, people don't know what they want or how it works in the room.

So, yes some do just the design.

Feel free to PM me with any specifics.

Last edited by MattN; 21 April 2009 at 10:32 PM.
Old 22 April 2009, 10:09 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Deep - they certainly should advise on design, otherwise you may as well just go to B&Q!

My dad used to run a commercial interior design company but now does period houses (and the odd top end new build) - mainly the interiors. Absolute top notch quality - he designs it, gets the labour in (all very select craftsmen) and makes sure it's all done properly. He's done places all over Cornwall, Salcombe and Surrey.

The places he does are the sort that only the poorest of taste would dislike.

Not trying to sell his services (!) - he's in Cornwall - just giving you an idea of what you should expect. Happy to PM you his website address if ideas are needed.
Old 22 April 2009, 11:26 AM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Thanks Matt, I will pm you.

Mattee, that's sort of my point, I don't want someone to actually build or decorate or arrange the craftsmen. I have builders etc in hand and enjoy using different contractors to save money.
I just want someone who has a vision and can advice on colour schemes, styles of tiles and even type of furniture but try and flog it to me at inflated prices.

Basically I'm thinking of having a big loft conversion done that will be my master bedroom. Problem is I'm coming up to having spent (on purchase price and refurb) the ceiling amount for this kind of property. Therefore if I am ever to get back the money for this work when/if I sell it really has to have the wow factor. Something so fantastic that it would justify somebody spending that bit more on my house. I'm not sure I can achieve this sort of result on my own and hence am considering the use of an I'd
I want one who will just suggest colour scheme for the walls, the design/type of furniture, tiling/design for the ensuite etc. They could even suggest features to have incorporated into the build process.

I'm just not sure if they work like that though, it seems to me they make their money by supplying the decorators/builders or selling you fabrics

MattN, you do interior design for a living?
Old 22 April 2009, 11:32 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Deep - the industry always struggles big time in a recession (it's a non essential luxury).
If you find a reputable local firm, they'd be bonkers to insist on supplying you with everything as well. They should just charge an hourly rate for their work, come up with some visuals and "ask" for nothing else.

Where do you live? Might have some contacts with a good reputation if it's Southern UK.
Old 22 April 2009, 11:44 AM
marky1
Scooby Regular

Sounds to me like you would be better with an Architect? As for interior choices, tiles etc better to just get what you like rather than what someone else tells you to get? Architects can incorporate some nice touches into the building process.
Old 22 April 2009, 12:04 PM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

:-) i so so so had similar problems / wants when I decorated my house. Mattn hit the nail on the head, one person's design, is another person's mess.

In the end, I went to a number of home exibitions, read a number of different style / house / home magazine, and started to work out what I wanted.

Once a design was 90% decided, as for tiles, colours, styles, I spoke to an interior designer, and asked for advice. I spoke to a number of these people, until I met one that I felt understod what I wanted and could `see` the design I was describing, using cut outs as examples, i.e. picture boards. Ive often seen these picture boards used in shows, and thought how `gay` they looked, but it did help.

Once you have a design, colours, etc, good luck in then trying to explain it to builders. Any words over 3 sylibols, then they are instantly lost. This was the hardest part.

I found that budgets really limited what I could buy, go for in regards to tiles, styles, etc. Also, if I planned to live in the house for a while, then quality of materials really became important, as I found certain tiles, patterns were fashionable now, but as quickly out of date. I suppose this is why magnolia / creams / browns are always used in homes.

Anyway, best of luck, its all fun, although expenesive :-)

SBK
Old 22 April 2009, 01:13 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Marky, I will be using an architect, so hopefully he can help with design features to be incorporated into the build process
Matee, I'm in London/essex. Thanks
Simon, did the int des charge you by the hour for advice? How did you go about finding a good one who didn't charge the earth?
Old 22 April 2009, 01:16 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Old 22 April 2009, 01:50 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Deep Singh
Marky, I will be using an architect, so hopefully he can help with design features to be incorporated into the build process
Matee, I'm in London/essex. Thanks
Simon, did the int des charge you by the hour for advice? How did you go about finding a good one who didn't charge the earth?
Hmm - not sure about that area for contacts.

Leaf through something like Essex Life or Essex Homes Review (or The London Magazine or similar), see if you like anything in them and note down who designed what you like then look them up. Or just call the mags up and see if they recommend anyone - I do that sort of thing quite often.
Old 22 April 2009, 02:03 PM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

Deep, he wanted to charge me by the job, some wanted to charge a percentage of the sale of the house, ie wanted to know if I was a properly developer, or home owner.

Eventually, I found one that would charge by the hour, but in the end I'd spoke to so many, researched what I wanted via the net, visited a few expo's, and knew what I wanted, that I didnt bother hiring him.

My nextdoor neighbour had an interior designer do his kitchen, £46K later, yes it looks nice, but nothing special. When he talks about it, its always "my kitchen designed by...." Almost like the kitchen is good, purely due to who designed it. Practically, its awful, most unfunctional kitchen Ive seen. A true example of design flare over functionality.

Some designers can be so arrogant, as they see it more as a example of their skills, than a house that will be your home, and focused on your requirements. They would ignore what you asked, or put down what you liked, and try to see you their version. Its a fine line, one that I wont be going down again.

Sounds like your house is going to be your home, so look around at what you want, cut out pages / examples, go to furnishing + tile shops and see what they recomend for styles and go from there.

The tips Ive learnt, always go for porcelin tiles, incase you chip one, fancy italian plumbware need high pressure hot water systems and dont go too well with gravity fed system, quality of brass can be iffy, colour pots - only use on a small area out of sight, as painting over them can be a nightmare.

Finally, if yu ever met a Int. Designer called Max, drives a smartcar, lives in Hove, send him on his way, as he's a totally arrogant, expensive, dull, mincer !

SBK

At the end of the day, only you will know what you truely want.
Old 22 April 2009, 04:22 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Thanks Mattee, I'll pick up a copy of Essex Life (when nobody is looking LOL)

Simon, yes I'm scanning all the glossy mags and waiting to see a bedroom suite I like and then will just copy it.
I did the rest of the house on my own, and its turned out nice enough, just thought some help might be needed to get a really special result.

thanks again
Old 22 April 2009, 04:42 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

simple

Keep it neutral colours where possible (i prefer white walls and ceiling)

And use natural products too

oh and nice touches like seperate 5amp lighting circuit etc etc

two very basic concepts - space and light, and you prob need an architect for these

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 22 April 2009 at 06:10 PM.
Old 22 April 2009, 07:00 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
simple

two very basic concepts - space and light, and you prob need an architect for these
Thanks, meeting with an architect next week.

Btw, I think a midget has opened an office in your fireplace!
Old 22 April 2009, 07:14 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I'd avoid wooden floors now TBH - a bit late 90s, early 00s and not considered very homely these days.
Old 22 April 2009, 07:20 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
simple

Id consider getting a new interior designer Hodgy, he designed your room with a Christams tree in it
Old 22 April 2009, 07:24 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
I'd avoid wooden floors now TBH - a bit late 90s, early 00s and not considered very homely these days.
Yeah Hodgy!

Anyway I was accused of being alittle presumptive, but I'm right.

And now we have advice to read Essex life! Are you serious.....range rover on the drive with a house full of bling!
Old 22 April 2009, 07:28 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I like the countryside look best but have a feeling your gaff is a bit more modern?
Swedish interiors (NOT Ikea!) are pretty "in" at the moment.

Swedish Interior Design - stunning organic non toxic classic gustavian swedish influenced interior design

Davy - all the ".... Life" mags have good stuff in them be they Cornwall Life, Essex Life or in your case "Bizarre Life."

Last edited by Matteeboy; 22 April 2009 at 07:29 PM.
Old 22 April 2009, 07:42 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

What is it down your way "Get a life"

In or not, the stuff in that link looks ghastly to me.
Old 22 April 2009, 07:44 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

What is it down your way "Get a life"

In or not, the stuff in that link looks ghastly to me.
I thought it was Gay Life, after the recent (ish) does my bum look big in this surfing thread
Old 22 April 2009, 09:25 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

A few on here need to read "when I get a life " ha ha ha .!!!!!!

I thought most interior designers charged a percentage of what the job is going to cost .

Deep ,if you have done the rest of the house you may as well do the last room .Why pay some "Nancy boy to Flounce and Mince around your house waving texture and colour charts "

I am currently doing something similar ,will have the builders put the Dormers on and than do all the internal designs and fitting out myself to my design which will be modern and fairly minimal but high quality ,ensuite,walk in wardrobes,TV lounging area etc,etc .

A whole lot more satisfying doing it your own way .Basically copying ideas from lots of other houses,mags etc and doing what works for you .
That is basically what a designer would do for you anyway .
Old 22 April 2009, 09:26 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Deep Singh
Thanks, meeting with an architect next week.

Btw, I think a midget has opened an office in your fireplace!
very good
Old 22 April 2009, 09:29 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sonic'
I thought it was Gay Life, after the recent (ish) does my bum look big in this surfing thread

Dont forget the other ones ...

"My Dads Life .."
"My in-laws life ...."
"My rich Uncles Life ...."
Old 22 April 2009, 09:33 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Matteeboy. nooooooo

planks reclaimed from a 1900's sailing Tea Clipper, each plank over 9" wide quite special

current fashion is concrete -- now thats not homely imo
Old 22 April 2009, 09:36 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sonic'
Id consider getting a new interior designer Hodgy, he designed your room with a Christams tree in it
fvck the cvnt said was a rare oversize bonsai and charge me 5k
Old 22 April 2009, 09:44 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by njkmrs
Dont forget the other ones ...

"My Dads Life .."
"My in-laws life ...."
"My rich Uncles Life ...."
And of course "I'm bitter Life"
"I don't have my own so have to snipe at others Life"
"Fat life"
"Failed Life"
and the ever popular:
"Please, please, please let people on the internet think I have a Life"

Hodgy - I'm sure the wood is decent but that room ain't for me at all. Well made I'm sure, just not appealing.

All popular reads with Sonic, nkmjrs and Davy.

Last edited by Matteeboy; 22 April 2009 at 09:45 PM.
Old 22 April 2009, 09:48 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

and the ever popular:
"Please, please, please let people on the internet think I have a Life"
Quite how you can accuse others of that is beyond even me!

Brilliant

Quick Reply: Interior designers