Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Play.com - a warning?

Search this Thread

Old 17 April 2009, 12:00 PM
Phantom_Flan_Flinger
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Play.com - a warning?

There's a thread over on MoneySavingExpert that's been running for over a month now.

Seems a few people have had orders placed on their account that they haven't made, mostly for games and lower value items.

Maybe worth checking out.

Dave.
Old 17 April 2009, 01:48 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the warning.

Les
Old 17 April 2009, 01:58 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

i would just like the stuff i ordered. placed an order for a 4 bay NAS enclosure before christmas. they had priced it wrong and failed to deliver. after all the business i have given them over the years
Old 17 April 2009, 09:54 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Very worrying, not because fraud is being attempted - but because the police (repeatedly) don't seem to give a toss about following up the crime.

I have recently been the (mild) victim of ID theft, where someone opened an account for a catalogue store under my name and address (and totally wrong DoB) but with a different delivery address. The company spotted the potential fraud and blocked the transaction, but admitted that not much will happen unless the police investigate (with a tone of "no they won't" ).

No CC details at risk, but a marker against my credit record for at least a year "just in case".

Whilst ID theft/CC fraud is treat as a "non crime" (claim on "insurance"), it will only get worse

Still, i guess that the police have important cabinet ministers to guard and opposition MPs to arrest (i had better not mention newspaper-sellers )?

mb
Old 18 April 2009, 07:16 AM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What usually happens is the police try to investigate, but are told by the company that said company can't hand over confidential information (translation: embarrassing information showing company errors) at which point the police investigation has to stop. Since you don't know that (the company won't tell you) you will assume (because this is SN) that it's the police at fault.

M
Old 18 April 2009, 09:13 AM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by _Meridian_
What usually happens is the police try to investigate, but are told by the company that said company can't hand over confidential information (translation: embarrassing information showing company errors) at which point the police investigation has to stop. Since you don't know that (the company won't tell you) you will assume (because this is SN) that it's the police at fault.

M
The catalogue company have the delivery address which can easily be given to the police. The police could then send round a couple of plain clothed ossifers in a white van with a couple of empty brown boxes.

Knock on the door and say that they have a delivery for Mr & Mrs Crim, then nick them for suspected fraud. Search the house for other similar deliveries, do a proper investigation (e.g. check mobile phones for "associates", cross-reference details against other similar crimes etc.) and take out a large slice of criminal activity!

mb
Old 18 April 2009, 09:24 AM
apples24
Scooby Regular

police dont care, we moved from our old address in 2005, a couple months back wifey received a letter from some debt collectors, she had basicly left a studio account open with a zero balance as didnt use it and completely forgot, then some slimey toad at our old address decided to start ordering in 2007 !!!!! the account was even in here maiden name as we married after moving. the even madder bit is she has a studio account at our new house in her married name !!!!! fookin idiots the lot of them.

ordered her credit file sure enough its on there as a default, police dont care even though i told them the people that live there had lived there since we moved so its obviously them.

several letters and phone calls, posting out proof that we didnt live there its still on her credit file etc its not fair the system sucks. police didnt want to know i had to ask several times just to get a crime ref number, they openly told me it wont be investigated

we called studio they even gave us a list of what was ordered and dates etc

FFS its fraud-theft pure and simple fookin annoys me this country

Last edited by apples24; 18 April 2009 at 09:27 AM.