Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Is this a good time to move house?

Search this Thread

Old 28 February 2002, 04:16 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Looking to move home in the next few months. Got a mortgage sorted, but was wondering if this was really the right time to move. My current house has more than doubled in value since I bought it 8 years ago, but then the houses I'm looking to move to probably have too.

Our current home is starting to feel a bit small and we feel we need to move home to a different area so we would really like to move. Not sure what the market is going to do over the next year. Probably level out and drop a little. It's just that it seems 200k does not buy you much these days...

Buying a house is one of the biggest decisions to make and I guess I'm just looking for some comfort in that I'm doing the right thing.
Old 28 February 2002, 04:29 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

There's never a good time to move. If you wait until the price drops then yours will drop in price too. The only way to win is to either

Sell now, buy/rent a cheaper place and wait until the prices drops and they buy the house you want.

Or

Move to a cheaper area and take the hit on travel time.

If you can afford to move now, do so. You can't bank on what's going to happen in 1-2,5 10 years time so why worry?

Try and find a house you'll be happy to live in long term and don't worry about it.
Old 28 February 2002, 04:38 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Neil,

Yep, thought of those. Now is definitly the time to sell. Just not sure if it's the time to buy . If we can get a buyer for ours, but we can not find a suitable house we *may* be able to move in with the in-laws (they have a big house ). I would rather do that than buy a house I'm not 100% happy with. Our aim to buy something to live in for possibly the rest of our lives, not as an investment. It's more important that we are happy with the house, rather than we will make money on it (but it would be nice )