Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Barclays Sharedealing account

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2009, 01:22 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Barclays Sharedealing account

Has anyone set one up recently, i've decided it's time to have a dabble.

Anyway, it says on the site that i'll be able to trade from the next business day providing I pass their anti money laundering checks.

I registered yesterday and haven't heard a thing from them , not even a welcome email. I've got my eye on a company i'd like to invest in but don't know how long i'll need to wait. I'll give them a bell tomorrow if I havne't heard anything but thought i'd ask on here too.

Anyone else got recommendations for a sharedealing account which I can use via the net and the phone? Barclays charge £12.95 per transaction so anything cheaper or similar price would be ok for me.
Old 07 April 2009, 02:17 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Hargreaves lansdown haven't used them yet but they did respond to my emails which is a good sign. If you want to deal with a real person then I can recommend David Hall at WH Ireland in Leeds (just mention Howard recommended you). Their rates won't be as cheap but they can sometimes get you a better share price, you get what you pay for in the end I suppose.

Last edited by HOWY; 07 April 2009 at 02:23 PM.
Old 07 April 2009, 02:27 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Thanks Howy
Old 07 April 2009, 02:36 PM
Evo Bizz
Scooby Regular

How about spread betting?

It's the same as dealing but instead of actually buying the share/commodities or whatever, you place a bet that the price is going to rise or fall, you can end the bet at any time.

Have a look at Capital Spreads - Financial Spread Betting Homepage, you can set up a demo account and have a go to get the hang of it before you use real money.

There are no transcation charges, just what you want to bet.

Last edited by Evo Bizz; 07 April 2009 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07 April 2009, 02:55 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Ample - Free Portfolio, Share dealing, ISAs, PEPs, SIPPs, CFDs, Spread betting - Interactive Investor have some interesting facilities....

Their "engine" used to be provided by IMIWEB - currently IWEB. There are some attractions should you wish to trade US stocks.... Though some paperwork still needs filing to avoid US tax when selling or obtaining divis.

I'm with Barclays. Mate in work is with etrade.

Depends what you want it for and how often you want to trade.

J.
Old 07 April 2009, 02:57 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

I had a bit of a look at spread betting, it does give a slightly better return as you don't pay commision or tax on the profits but it's more risky as you can quite easily lose a lot more than you invest.
At least with shares, even if the company goes belly up I know I won't lose any more than i've already paid out.
Maybe once i've dabbled a bit in normal share dealing I might take a second look.
Thanks for the link though, some good info on that site.
Old 07 April 2009, 05:31 PM
Ray T
Scooby Regular

Another for iii use them all the time and £10 per trade

Trending Topics

Old 07 April 2009, 10:59 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

I use halifax share dealing and am new to all this as well, however i have a share builder account where i put in £150 a month to LLoyds, Tesco and taylor wimpey. also put £1000 into RBS when they were on shi* street, currently underneath:
Valuation today £2228.06
Profit £884.98
Profit as a % 65.89

Not to bad in 6 weeks, only one not in profit is tesco which has lost me £12.57 for a total of £144 invested. rest are in good profit, was over £1000 last friday but the banks took a hit today.

Mac

not
Old 08 April 2009, 08:20 AM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

Ive got a Barclays Sharedealing Account. Had the urge a year or so ago to trade online. I had to sign over all my shares to Barclays, as they hold onto the certificates for you.

Can be dear if you dont use it often enough. I brought a load of HBOS shares when they were cheap, but then watched as they went even lower :-( mind you, I see them as a long term investment, i.e 5/10 years.

Not a bad setup, never had any issues, but if your someone that trades infrequently, then can be dear. A buddy of mine has an aco**** where he buys shares, then has to settle up 30 days later, but if they go up the bank pays him the the difference, or if they go down, he pays them the difference. Not sure the name of this, or how one goes about setting it up. I know he made a few quid this way.

Bit of advice on shares, never invest in something you dont know, and always prepare to loose the £££ you invest. I know plenty of mates who thought that they were the next "Gordon Gecko" from the film Wall Street, and went terribly wrong.

SBK
Old 20 April 2009, 11:52 AM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Well, here we are a couple of weeks on and i've still not got the account up and running.
I have all the docs, User ID etc and they have my cash but the website won't let me login. I contacted their helpline last week - no reply.
I tried the customer services number and they cut you off unless you want to trade "due to a high volume of calls".

As soon as I get through to a human i'm getting my cash back and going elsewhere. So much for their promise that you can trade from the next working day

Stay clear of these idiots is all I can say
Old 20 April 2009, 12:02 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Hoodless Brennan, £8 per trade and no minimum number of trades.

I'm happy with their service - does what it says on the tin albeit a bit on the slow side as websites go.
Old 20 April 2009, 07:36 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

Mate, give halifax a bell, i do all mine online,although i did have to phone up to get it started, havent sold any yet only buy as post i put up earlier.

That £1000 i put into RBS was worth £2,137 this morning so am well chuffed, it does not cost much either.

People at work are always asking how the shares are getting on as its the first think i check in the morning,lol

Getting a i phone soon so i will be able to check on that,its getting obsessive.lol

Mac
Old 23 April 2009, 03:27 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Ok, despite my rant above they have redeemed themselves slightly by phoning me up and sorting it all out. Now trading with a whopping £250 which is all i'm willing to risk at this early stage Wish me luck!
Old 15 June 2009, 11:26 AM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Question

Any updates on this..?

I can't help but feel I'm (or already have) missing a great opportunity to make a few quid..

I started a thread a while back about (as a complete newbie) having a punt of ~£500-£1000, but the general consensus was it's still too early. I should have followed it up a month or two ago..!

Any newbie guidance would be welcome..

Bluenose, how is you 'portfolio' doing..?