Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Neighbours being arses, or a really clever dog?

Search this Thread

Old 06 April 2009, 10:48 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Neighbours being *****, or a really clever dog?

You decide.

Last week I get a call from my sister asking had Tuvaaq run away.... duh NO! I replied.
5 mins later she calls back, very out of breath, saying its ok she had caught him.
I got home double quick and started to try and find out what had happened. On asking I am told that he had got out twice....! WTF! So I asked mother about it. She said she had a knock on the door, and 2 of the local lads had seen him legging it down the road and brought him back. Suprised, she took him and put him.................... thats right, in the back garden where he had just got out from! Duh!

Thats where my sister came into it, seeing him the second time, and catching him.

On checking the garden I found a hole in the fence.
Right now this is where the question starts.

For starters the fence (property of other side) is a willow screen, so not the strongest in the world, but they have never shown any interest in trying to get though it. Even when stray dogs have appeared on the other side of it.
Its this stuff http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=20001&partNumber=805955&Trail=searchtext >FENCE
Bits of willow, held together with wire.

Now if I am to believe the dog made the hole to get through, I have to accept the following as fact.
He chose one single spot, and worked at it, not damaging any other parts of a 60 ft fence.
He broke away all the willow pieces perfectly square, making a perfect square hole.
He somehow removed 3 pieces of wire that hold the willow in place, cutting both sides away cleanly at the edge of the hole.
And finally he disposed of all the materials removed from the fence.

Something tells me that for some reason, either a neighbour or a dog theif (have only just thought of that one) has cut the fence to allow the escape of the dogs.

What a lovely world we live in.
Time to get new fencing and double skin the whole fence.
Old 06 April 2009, 11:00 AM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Never under estimate the intelagence of an animal, my 2 dogs and cat were masters and would team up when they needed to. The cat would get the buscuit tin out of the cubby hole 7 foot up, and the dogs would open it without a scratch on the tin.

However, in this case, there has been human intervention I'd say, there is no way a dog would go through wire cleanly, wood cleanly, and tidy up after the deed.
Old 06 April 2009, 11:19 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Totally agree on both points mate. He is far from stupid, but the level of accuracy getting it cut away like that, unless..... **** I left the shed unlocked. He has clearly got to my tools lol.

Na serious though, I reckon humans were involved, and if I find out who.....ooooh there will be trouble.
Old 06 April 2009, 11:48 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I use a length of that screening on the door to our property for privacy. It is attached to a 10' X 4.5' wooden gate so it has a bit of reasonable support behind it.

The willow goes get a bit dried out and weak after some time and the wire will show a bit of surface rust, but I think it would have been unlikely that a dog could make the sort of hole you describe Snazy. He would never be able to cut the wire.

Les
Old 06 April 2009, 12:38 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Agreed Les

Bloody dogs! Anyone want to look after one of mine for a couple of weeks while the bitch is in season ? lol
Old 06 April 2009, 01:45 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Actually on the wire cutting... we had a boxer that managed to get out of one of those indoor cages by biting the wire and he also escaped from kennels by biting a perfect hole in the wire fence. Wasn't quite accurate enough though as he managed to get a bit of the sticking out wire in his back leg when he went through. Its the only reason they found him.

Dog was a genius though. A different kennel also thought they had lost him. He was recovered later from the Cattery which he had broken into.

5t.
Old 06 April 2009, 01:51 PM
moff1888
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
Agreed Les

Bloody dogs! Anyone want to look after one of mine for a couple of weeks while the bitch is in season ? lol
Ive just taken my mum's 2 bitches away for the week whilst in season, its driving the 2 boys + my mum mad.

Trending Topics

Old 06 April 2009, 03:54 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by moff1888
Ive just taken my mum's 2 bitches away for the week whilst in season, its driving the 2 boys + my mum mad.
My male has just been dropped off at the kennels, will be there the next couple of weeks now. Its SO quiet here now.

Poor little sausage might actually eat some food now bless him.

Fivetide, thats a smart dog
Wierd thing is he has NEVER tried to get out in any way until now, and then done it perfectly first time. I dont buy it in this case.

We shall see now, not here for 2 weeks, lets see what happens.
Old 06 April 2009, 05:21 PM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

OK, technically a dog could cut through the wire, as on a cheap fence it probably isnt very thick or strong wire used, ( our Border Collie bit straight through a thick electrical cable in seconds when she was a puppy - thankfully one that wasnt connected to anything ! ) and easily eat through the willow.

But NO WAY would they tidy up the bits afterwards - thats just pushing it too far.

We've been trying to teach ours to close doors after she come in through them, rather than just pushing them open as far as possible, then making us get up and close them after her - not much luck so far !
Old 06 April 2009, 05:44 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

lol well he pee's on instruction, so he is smart
But a messy bugger, so there is no way he would clear up.

No escaping from here for a couple of weeks..... Gives me time to sort things out too.
Old 06 April 2009, 10:56 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Male + bitch in season = gifted jail breaker.

dunx
Old 06 April 2009, 11:29 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

If your bitch is in season or close to it Snazy then dogs make Paul Daniels look like a foofin amateur.
He might have just demolished the fence & the bits are lying about somewhere. I would however double skin the fence just to be on the safe side.
Old 06 April 2009, 11:53 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
...He chose one single spot, and worked at it, not damaging any other parts of a 60 ft fence.
He broke away all the willow pieces perfectly square, making a perfect square hole.
He somehow removed 3 pieces of wire that hold the willow in place, cutting both sides away cleanly at the edge of the hole.
And finally he disposed of all the materials removed from the fence.
dum-dum, dum-dee, dum-dum, dum-dee, dum-dum, dum-dee, dum-dum, dum-dee, weedle-wooo, weedle-ooo, dum-da-dum.......

All p*ss taking aside. Your posts about the development of your husky team (!?) is one of the better and lighter ways I can stand the working day. It would be an absolute b*stard to read that some oik had nicked them.

J.
Old 07 April 2009, 08:46 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vindaloo
dum-dum, dum-dee, dum-dum, dum-dee, dum-dum, dum-dee, dum-dum, dum-dee, weedle-wooo, weedle-ooo, dum-da-dum.......

All p*ss taking aside. Your posts about the development of your husky team (!?) is one of the better and lighter ways I can stand the working day. It would be an absolute b*stard to read that some oik had nicked them.

J.
lol now THATS a good way to start the day, reading that
Indeed it would be annoying, and most upsetting. I missing the little bugger enough as it is, and I know where he is.

The escape happened before she came into season though, but he has since made poor attempts to get back through the same hole. Surely as its all blocked off now, if he did it in the first place, he would just make another?

I dont doubt that he CAN get through it, just like he has managed to jump the internal fence once. But like I have said, its just SO tidy, and he has not tried to make another. He has 60+ ft of fence to choose from.

That aside, its SO calm here now, and he was so relaxed as soon as we were in the car. So im sure he is having a great time dragging the kennel staff about Aana is just relaxing now, catching up on sleep.
Old 07 April 2009, 11:47 AM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Snazy,

Sounds like a dog theif - and Tuvaaq got away.

Lucky outcome mate, don't take chances next time.
Old 07 April 2009, 11:52 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a clever dog to me. For safetys sake put in an inner fence of something.
Old 07 April 2009, 12:40 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Devildog
Snazy,

Sounds like a dog theif - and Tuvaaq got away.

Lucky outcome mate, don't take chances next time.
Im heading more towards that belief now.

Originally Posted by r32
Sounds like a clever dog to me. For safetys sake put in an inner fence of something.

I have a secondary fence around most of the garden, just got to sort that section now. Got something sorted as a temp measure for now. But he is in kennels now, so no risk for a couple of weeks Phew